General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather jacket care, Part II

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Leather jacket care, Part II

There was a recent post about leather jacket treatment and care and what to put on it. My question is rather specific. I have the HD FXRG leather jacket. It's a couple years old. It's listed at waterproof so as such, what kind of treatment would help or maintain the leather. If it's waterproof, and it is so far, wouldn't it also repel any conditioners or oils. I asked at a HD apparel counter and they didn't know, surprise.

Anyone know what is used or put on the jackets to make them waterproof. The original literature also didn't give any guidance.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:24 PM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the leather is water proofed. I would think the pours in the leather would be plugged. No conditioner would soak in.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

There is no such thing as waterproof leather. It's the oils and conditioners used on it that make it waterproof, or more specifically water repellent.

There are many many products out there that will do the job, but in my experience (I work with leather daily, it's what I do) you are best off finding out what was originally used at time of manufactsure and work with that, unless the jacket is in excess of 5 or 6 years old, has been used regularly and is well and truly worn in.
Often when you mix conditioners or treatment products you can get some weird results, from discoloration to zero water repelling ability, or occasionally better results than you could ask for if you get lucky.

My advise, research what is used on the leather at time of manufacture if you can. I've seen leather conditioners at HD dealers that are not at all a bad product in general, but I've no idea if is truly compatible with the original treatment product.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Manninagh
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

AFAIK, the FXRG jackets have a waterproof lining, so you can use regular leather treatments as advised by our friend above who knows what he's talking about.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Manninagh
AFAIK, the FXRG jackets have a waterproof lining, so you can use regular leather treatments as advised by our friend above who knows what he's talking about.
Perhaps the fabric but the lining that came with mine is a quilted thermal. Not waterproof. I have been in some pretty good showers with the jacket on and it does repel water.

One of the reasons for the question is was said above, different conditioners or treatments could have odd results and I don't know what was used on the jacket during manufacture. It does work but I would like to keep it that way and help the leather if possible. Again, local dealer wasn't helpful as I expected.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've worn hand made boots and Jackets for years, and I have a couple of pair of bull hide ropers that see HARD use when I'm out at the Ranch. In and out of water and mud, beat up, snake strikes twice on one pair...and they are still beautiful boots when cleaned up.

With that said, ML Leddy and Sons who made these boots (1 pair is over 20 years old) told me when I bought my first pair that the best thing you can do is saddle soap to clean them and something with mink oil to treat them. That, and a little polish is all I've ever done.

Same with my jackets. My "regular/dress" wear leather jacket and my riding jacket both get cleaned using a little saddle soap as needed, and wiped down with a little mink oil cream...

Old 01-03-2014, 10:33 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

dont know about your specific jacket,but i have always used mink oil with silcone and lanolin on my boots and a few times on my saddle bags with good results

i also use brick 4 conditioner sometimes on my boots but the mink oil seems much better

Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a fxrg Harley jacket and this is what I got for cleaning and conditioning

Leather jacket care, Part II-image.jpg

Old 01-03-2014, 10:42 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

My personal preference is Lexol

I use the Lexol conditioner for cleaning and conditioning everything like jackets (including my Harley jacket), car seats, sofa, bike saddlebags, ......

Lexol Leather Conditioner - Walmart.com

Old 01-04-2014, 01:42 AM
2001NightTrain
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Montana pitch blend leather dressing after learning about it from fox creek leather and I have no complaints. I will defer to the above expert regarding sticking with the original treatment, but if I didn't know or couldn't find out the original treatment; I'd go with Montana pitch blend. I've been happy with it on my jacket, vest and boots. Anyone who tries it loves it.

Last edited by 2001NightTrain; 01-04-2014 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Spelling errors

Quick Reply: Leather jacket care, Part II