General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather jacket care, Part II

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 07:33 AM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by 1004ron
My personal preference is Lexol

I use the Lexol conditioner for cleaning and conditioning everything like jackets (including my Harley jacket), car seats, sofa, bike saddlebags, ......

Lexol Leather Conditioner - Walmart.com

Just used that stuff on my bags. It really soaked in. They look great!

Old 01-04-2014, 08:39 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

It isn't the leather thats waterproof in that jacket, it's the liner. The fabric is treated with Cocona which increases it's ability to wick moisture and dry itself. Cocona reactivates itself with normal washing. Cocona also aids in odor control since it contains activated carbon. Lexol is the best cleaner and preservative around for the leather. Go to any horse related show or rodeo and see what the pros use on their saddles. When you do, Lexol will be the runaway favorite. You're not a real cowboy unless you have Lexol for your leather and Wrangler for your jeans.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:11 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,043 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunker
Perhaps the fabric but the lining that came with mine is a quilted thermal.
I believe what the guy meant by "lining" was something like a Goretex liner sandwiched in between the outside leather and the inside *non* zip-outable liner of the jacket.

The thing about that though, is Harley would have to mention the Goretex since it's a patented product I think (look at how it's mentioned in boots and other clothing for example).

Looks like Roadking2000 might have the best answer yet about the jacket.

As for products for leather, I personally prefer to keep all man-made crap out of it if possible (silicon especially) so I use this stuff and it's kept my leather from getting soaked in many a rain storm (I ride all year and rain doesn't deter me if the temperature is above 70). I'm happy with it and since it's made from 100% pure natural stuff, it even says it's edible (because it contains a lot of tallow). http://www.mermacminkoil.com/

Last edited by tar_snake; 01-04-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:51 PM
larry551
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mink oil works great....

Old 01-05-2014, 02:48 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

It is not the lining it is the actual leather in an FXRG jacket that has been treated to be waterproof. I have a leather FXRG that is about five years old, I wear it all the time when it is cold and always take it with me when on a trip including to the arctic circle. I have never treated the leather and it looks and feels as good as when new. I have other leather jackets and gear that I treat regularly with every brand from HD leather treatment, Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP! Lexol, and Langlitz Leather Dressing. The FXRG just does not seem to need treating. It is soft and not dried out or cracked. I have jackets by Vanson, Schott, Langlitz, Brooks, and HD but the FXRG is my go to jacket for extended rides.

The following users liked this post:
GREENOHAWK69 (05-02-2022)
Old 01-05-2014, 08:43 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,043 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
It is not the lining it is the actual leather in an FXRG jacket that has been treated to be waterproof. I have a leather FXRG that is about five years old, I wear it all the time when it is cold and always take it with me when on a trip including to the arctic circle. I have never treated the leather and it looks and feels as good as when new. I have other leather jackets and gear that I treat regularly with every brand from HD leather treatment, Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP! Lexol, and Langlitz Leather Dressing. The FXRG just does not seem to need treating. It is soft and not dried out or cracked. I have jackets by Vanson, Schott, Langlitz, Brooks, and HD but the FXRG is my go to jacket for extended rides.
My Legendary is the same...I ride it in pretty much anything but snow and ice and really don't need to treat it either, but I do, once a year or once every couple years, just for the heck of it.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:00 PM
Rogue_Rider
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have the FXRG Leather and was wondering how y'all clean splattered bugs off your jackets?

I've had only textile jackets up until now, and don't wanna ruin this jacket using the wrong method for cleaning bugs off.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:13 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Wear it in all weather.
Roll it up and bungee it to the bike when you aren't wearing it.
Sleep in it on asphalt when you are too tired to keep riding.
Sit on it on a bar stool.
Use it as padding to work on your bike.

Repeat annually for a decade or 2.

That is the care that will give it character.

(if you want to keep it waterproof use mink oil and rub it in or any number of over the counter leather waterproofing products)

The following users liked this post:
Jehu (04-30-2022)
Old 04-14-2015, 10:53 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Been using Obenauf's and Langlitz Leather Care on my leathers for decades. Go over 'em twice a year. Not rocket science. No leather is waterproof by itself.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:05 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

For the price of thoes FXRGs, they oughtta be bulletproof, as well...

The following 2 users liked this post by HoggyMtnBreakdown:
scuzzi (08-21-2024), WorkForIt (04-29-2022)

Quick Reply: Leather jacket care, Part II