Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I lived -barely-, WG didn't.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 05:03 AM
Angry_Inch
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I lived -barely-, WG didn't.

Long story warning.

A guy in a pick’em-up truck decided he was in a bigger hurry than anyone else in the state pulled his truck in front of me and my Wide Glide while I was doing about 50mph on my way home from a charity ride. Not much time to react, and several witnesses, including one rider who was watching me out of jealousy attest to there was nothing I could do. To add insult to the ever-growing list of injuries and having my beloved WG trashed, my custom leather and all other clothing was cut off to allow the EMT’s proper access. This was February 11. I was put in the hospital on condition critical and it was not a pretty sight. I will have the ‘day after’ pics soon.

The current list of injuries- Sub dermal hematoma on frontal lobe, a couple racks of broken ribs and all the joy that corresponds, multiple facial fractures and some nice skin rips that should be covered by some decent facial hair. And finally, I think, (and hope.. and pray) I had several gashes to the liver (nearly sliced in half) resulting in a pulmonary embolism which traveled to the upper right part of my right lung. A couple of these nearly killed me.

I was put in a coma due to my pain and panicked state. Those drugs were stopped and I regained my consciousness on March 4th, and took me 3 more days of a lot of crying to really understand where I was and why. Once I got ‘through’ that, I hopped on PT as much as possible when I found out March 8th I had a procedure for the next day to put a stint in my liver to prevent surgery.

I could go on, but as my mental and cognitive abilities are way below where they were, the energy I use doing something like emails, and etc is tapped from physical energy which is already too low. For example this post has already taken me almost 2 hours.

With no reason to keep me and having already rung up a medical tab of $300,000 I was dispatched for home March 12th to continue everything here with my loving family. I still have many, many doctor appointments and various flavors of therapy to go, as well as blood work, cat scans and everything else, Oh, my favorite- the drainage bag with the hose coming out my ribs from my liver is such a welcome reminder. At least the ones from my lungs or the one jammed into my bladder from you know where are history, although I am not sure I will ever forget the one bag from you know where.. or the removal of it.

But don’t worry about the cause of the problem. He was cited with a $25 Right of Way violation. And he eventually returned to the scene of the crime after dumping most of the beer cans that filled his truck’s cab. And insurance? Well, let’s just say he at least had the bare minimum required by the state and we found this out after he attempted to file a claim against my insurance company before any action was taken against him.

[font="times new roman"][size=3]Now here’s the kicker. The gentleman who saved me came in March 9th to describe what he saw, and explain what he knew. I could have gotten this info from others but wanted this right from the horse’s mouth. Except for this man’s family being in a higher-tax bracket, our lives are extremely similar. You could pull something from his life and insert my equivalent without worry. We even disc

Old 03-17-2007, 05:11 AM
E1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: I lived -barely-, WG didn't.

Wow -- your story and the trials you have faced and will face leave me speachless. Thankfully you are going to recover and most of all it sounds as if you have a great attitude and a very loving and caring family. Until our justice system comes around and makes an example of individuals, I'm afraid your story will continue to be lived out daily somewhere. May God bless and continue your rehab and look forward to hearing when you are back up and around on two wheels.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:15 AM
Aces N Eights

Thank God you are still with us. I truly hate to hear of tragedies of this nature. I have to admit, I am truly afraid of putting my family through circumstances of which you described. I cannot imagine the pain and suffering you and your family have endured since your unforunate contact with this *******. As a LEO, I have seen the law not permit true justicebe applied to the extend it should be applied. Your case is a prime example. I am sure you will read numerous response advising you to retain a MC riding, throat cuttingattorney and I agree. I'm just not sure you will ever see a dime or any compensation for almost losing your life and the pain and suffering you and your family has been forced to endure as a result of someone's **** poor judgment.

I wish you all the best in your recovery and, by all means, get back on that horse!!

07HC

Old 03-17-2007, 05:57 AM
Jambo
Banned

Hope you do find God,and don't slip in to taking it all for granted again.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:15 AM
the big buck
Advanced

i would like to see some of the pics from the crash, and then i would like to see you recovered sittin on the new sled so i could make a poster of it and title it "bad asses dont die" i love it man, good for you...god bless ya.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:23 AM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Angry_Inch

Take nothing for granted....... Live life to it’s fullest because you don’t know when your time is up but make sure you get right with the man before you come begging on the doorstep.
AMEN brother. You're on the right path to full recovery. Sorry you had to go through so much s--t.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:31 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts and prayers are with you! As my Grandfather used to say "Keep your trolly up!" and good luck with the recovery!

Old 03-17-2007, 07:43 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm sorry for what you've gone thru andI'm hoping you continue to improve.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Ben U

Your family must truly understand your passion and you. I hope your recovery is swift and possitive. I'd like to spend just one minute with that dude in the p'up truck! God Speed.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:19 AM
dastark
Road Master

Wow! So glad to hear your alive after all that. Best wishes to you and your loved ones.

Quick Reply: I lived -barely-, WG didn't.