General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 12:35 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Noise

Okay then, how about this one?

Got my 103 FB out of the shed to go visit my parents today. Last ride was wet, and as I always do when it's wet, waited an hour for things to cool down and then hosed all the grit and crap off before sticking it back in the shed with the de-humidifier running.

Off I went today after letting the engine warm through whilst I put my gloves on etc.

Every time I eased off the throttle in traffic there was a strange noise coming from the top end on the right hand side. The best way I can describe it is as a crisp or chip packet being screwed up, a kind of metallic crunching noise. It was definitely the engine as when I coasted with the clutch in the noise stopped. I don't know if it was there under power as the exhaust could have been drowning it out.

On the return journey I revved the engine under load hard up to 5000 rpm and the noise wasn't there the next time I eased off the throttle, although the idle speed was playing up again and wouldn't settle below 2000rpm, which it does from time to time.

So any ideas?

Old 01-02-2014, 01:26 PM
dbc58
Road Captain

Mouse nest in the intake?

Old 01-02-2014, 01:34 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master

Originally Posted by dbc58
Mouse nest in the intake?
****, that must be it.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:43 PM
marcortez
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you said the noise sounds like it's coming from the upper engine area but......

The front hose clamp affairs on my exhaust heat shield were loose and rattled at times.
Metal sound for sure.......almost a "buzzing" noise.

If you do not have heat shields.......disregard.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:22 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master

Originally Posted by marcortez
I know you said the noise sounds like it's coming from the upper engine area but......

The front hose clamp affairs on my exhaust heat shield were loose and rattled at times.
Metal sound for sure.......almost a "buzzing" noise.

If you do not have heat shields.......disregard.
Yep, think that might be it.

My son was trying to find it coz I was really pissed off, and was tapping and knocking the heat shields, maybe enough to stop it buzzing.

Will see next time I ride it. I'm really pissed with HD. Seems to be one thing after another. Not Happy.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good thing it wasn't a jap bike...

You'd have to get an interpreter to explain the sound to us!

Old 01-02-2014, 02:42 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master

Originally Posted by Def Mute
Good thing it wasn't a jap bike...

You'd have to get an interpreter to explain the sound to us!
Okay, either you've read my other recent posts, or you're trying to say something, which is it, hey hey??????

Old 01-03-2014, 06:26 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master

found it.

Stuffed a rag in the exhaust so I could hear the engine noises at tickover and there it was plain as day, the crunching noise which was the.....................

butterfly valve in the exhaust rattling around as it's closed. Which explains why I could only hear it on the overrun, as most of the time it's open and the cable is keeping it from rattling as it's tight.

Don't know why it's suddenly started, must be a bit loose, with wear and tear I spose.

But at least I know what it is, and that it's nothing serious. Thankfully. Almost sold it coz I thought it was gonna go BANG! ha ha ha

Old 01-03-2014, 10:11 AM
dbc58
Road Captain

You've got a butterfly in your exhaust? I guess that's better than mice in the intake. Is that the Euro noise control BS?

Old 01-03-2014, 10:23 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master

Originally Posted by dbc58
You've got a butterfly in your exhaust? I guess that's better than mice in the intake. Is that the Euro noise control BS?
Yes I guess it is, if you don't have them over there.
The pipes on the FB are linked and just behind the link pipe is a butterfly valve in the top pipe only which has a cable running to a servo which is tucked away towards the rear of the engine, by the swingarm pivot area. Anything less than 2000rpm or on a shut throttle and the valve closes to keep the noise down.

Most guys here pull the plug and wind the servo motor to open by hand and leave it like that, but I've left it connected as it does a good job of keeping the noise down around town with the V&H slip ons. I don't like to encourage attention from you know who.

Quick Reply: Noise