General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1'st Harley

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 12:29 AM
Seal Guy Ken
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1'st Harley

OK, I'm here looking for someexpert advice.

I am looking to buy my 1st HD.

My wife and I are mid-40's and would like to find a nice ride for those warm evenings and weekend rides.
She would like a comfortable ride with a back rest. Me... cool, chrome, noise.
We live in Northern Illinois. Riding will mostly be highway and quiet country roads.

Budget is $15K or less.

Tell me what to start looking for.

Thanks... I'll post our choice here when we decide.

Ken & Barb

Old 03-17-2007, 12:32 AM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1'st Harley

I would look for a used Electra Glide Standard or Classic. I would think the Standard would be an easy find in your price range.

Gives you the comfort and the storage for those long rides.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:39 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I just did a kelly blue book evaluation on my 02 Ultra Classic, and it average retails for $15, 450. That way you have it all. Look for something under 30,000 miles. Shouldn't be a problem. But if you lean towards a more radical ride, a Street Glide is cool, and probably a little less money than an Ultra of the same model year. JMHO[&:]

Old 03-17-2007, 01:04 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyrider and Goodbirds are right, you just described an Ultra. Take your time though and maybe consider going outside your State to get one. There are a lot of older Ultra's out there that dealers will ask too much money for, hold out for a late model if you can (01 to 03)

Old 03-17-2007, 01:10 AM
SquishFace
Road Captain

RoadKing, any year.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:19 AM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: SquishFace

RoadKing, any year.
I'll second the Road King. Best of both worlds... a good touring bike but can be made to look slick with lots of chrome.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:40 AM
Jovimon
Road Captain

Electa Glide Std., Classic and Ultra, great bikes but notnecessarily a good 1st bike. Road King wouldbe a good choice, even a Heritage or Deluxe Softail or Dyna with the right seat would fit your description. Depends alot on how far you plan to go before stopping,far from home or close to the house?Want a windshield?Want cruise control? Go toa few differentdealers and talk tothe salespersonabout your wants and needs, they are trained to help you find the bike thats right for you. I know, it's what I do.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:52 AM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No expert here,but I'll 3rd the Road King.Maybe the custom.That will eventually be my 2nd bike.It is the best of both worlds.Looks cool for putting around town and can go the distance comfortably.There are plenty of good used bikes out there for a decent prices.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:17 AM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member

I posted this in your new member area, and I'll re-post here for you too. - You'll probably want to look for a touring bike like a Road King, Stereet Glide, Road Glide or Electra Glide but you will need some more $$$. You might be able to find a used bike, but you'll probably still need to plan on spending more than your current budget...especially if you want to add chrome parts to your wish list. With the touring line you will be very comfortable for 2-up riding in the country or highwaysor cruising around town by yourself. All of the touring bikes have air adjustable rear suspension that provides a good, smooth ride.With Good luck with your search.

Here's a link to the touring section on the HD website: http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/2007_Motorcycles/2007_Motorcycles.jsp?locale=en_US&swfsection=f amily&swffamily=touring

Old 03-17-2007, 04:05 AM
cbwat1
Advanced

Road King!

Quick Reply: 1'st Harley