General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1'st Harley

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 01:31 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 1'st Harley

I took another look at that pic,,, oh yea,,,, you also got the extra foot rest, for you and her,, the tour pack has the extra top rack, same color as mine,,, man you got a good ride there.... work on him to drop a few bucks,,, and grab his leather and helmets, etc..

Old 03-18-2007, 02:16 AM
4x4Given
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be suggesting any decent Road Glide, Road King, Street Glide or Electra Glide. Personally, I would have never even thought about a bagger, as I was hoping to get a Deuce, but.... When I found a sharp, clean, freshly serviced (plus a new engine with warranty) Ultra for $9,600, I jumped on it like a duck on a junebug. The wife LOVES riding on it, and I've discovered that I really am a BIG fan of baggers too.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:27 AM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: whaap

Roadking would be perfect. You have a computer, play on e-bay. I bought a one year old bike with 1300 miles on it for a really good bargain. They're out there. The fact I had to fly 1700 miles to get my bike was just another adventure in my life. Good luck.
Yep, that sounds like fun!

Old 03-18-2007, 09:47 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: WRAITH

I would recomend a new XL1200c (Sporster).You get lots of chrome,good looks and power.Change the stock seat to a Sundowner,and you get a lot of comfort.Purchacing a new bike,gives you the protection of a waranty.
Purchasing a used bike less than 2 years old at a savings of thousands of dollars also gives you the protection of a warranty.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Dancemax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am really bothered with this post and the answers on bike choice. No one cared to analyze what kind of a rider you are. Experience, Riding History. I know several instances when a person goes and buys a Fancy HD, rolls the throttle and "BOOM". Inexperienced rider buying a big HD get hurt too often or even possibly die.

Secondly, (Personally) I do not want to ride with my wife. Motorcycling has inherent risks, more than flying. I love to go out with my wife. We decided, she will ride the cage and will ride my HD Softail. She will enjoy it more and mee too, just playing hide and seek on the road. If we had our own bikes, that is better than ridng 2 up.

So in the end, if you are inexperienced or 0 time, get a small 250-750cc bike, get your feet wet with a couple thousand miles and then you wont even have ask this question which HD.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Seal Guy Ken
Cruiser

Thanks Rick. The guy is "firm" on the price. Every 05 Ultra I've seen has been at least $1500 more money than this, and on avearge, about $2500 more.Even most of the 04s I've scouted are $17k... and they all have twice the miles. This guy is sellingup for an 07 Ultra, so the leathers and helmets willstay in the family. I'm going to go check it out this morning. It's a 2 hr drive, but it looks like apretty fair deal from the research I've done so far.

[IMG]local://upfiles/27125/FC099E0210A04F0196F5783C6EA9860D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Seal Guy Ken
Cruiser

All great advice! Believe me, I've thought about all of it. My experience is limited to a couple of years with a 750 about 18 years ago.
The last thing I want to do is spend a boatload of cash on a nice rideand then dump it.Something to think about it. Thanks.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:00 AM
ditch_dgr
Road Master

I certainly support the choice of an Ultra, bought mine because the wife wanted a better seat on my dyna when both of us ride. I wasn't totally thrilled with the idea of riding a bagger. Now you couldn't get me off it. Sounds like you are looking at a good deal.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking that will be a great bike for you. I bet you buy it.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:08 AM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

I took your post to mean your 1st Harley...not your first bike...yes? A heavy cruiser or bagger may not be the easiest thing to learn on...and prob not the best idea. BUT - living in the part of the world you do, the truth is that you can take your good 'ol Motorcylce Safety Course (which is worth doing even if you have owned 10 bikes and been riding to 20 years...it's kinda fun...in a way). Yeah not a macho thing to do...but just watch and cringe as you see the guys with their brand new bikes rolling out of stealerships with their elbows locked and shuffling feet at the stop lights as they almost drop 'em...scary.

I think those of us with all the years in the saddle quickly assume nobody can ride our bad-a** rides...which may be true...but so much of it goes to your mindset (given that you get the mechanical basics) and at 40+, I'd hope good judgement would play-in to be sure the skills are there before heading down the Ike to Grant Park, etc. IMHO.

Yeah - without a doubt when a 20 year-old asks me what to pick as a "first bike"...I tell 'em to get 5 year-old Honda Shadow 750 or similar...something easy to hop-on, handle, learn and sell. Heck, maybe a '72 Super Glide and learn how to soak your right leg in hot oil and experience the front end bouncing off the highway at 80 mph...that'll get 'em going! [:-]

SGN

Quick Reply: 1'st Harley