General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:46 PM
Timmer
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway...

If your in the Front Royal area and need a place to stay, you can't beat the Hampton Inn. Very biker friendly. Kick *** breakfast! Read about my trip last fall https://www.hdforums.com/m_712531/tm.htm

Also, the Hillside has been recommended more than once http://www.pearlslove.com/webs/hillside/
Tim

Old 03-19-2007, 10:13 PM
cjackson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Blue ridge parkway is like Heaven on earth to me. I live 400 miles from Fancy Gap. Twice a year I make the trip. I take in as much of the parkway as possible. I always trey to take atleast one side trip off the parkway. The road was built fo motorcycles. I always try to avoid peak periods.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:29 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

We will be going down to Maggie Valley via the Parkway starting the week of the 14th of April. My wife was born and mostly raised in Weaverville, NC and most of the remaining family is in Ashville in the Bit and Steel business. We are planning on three days on the 440 mile section of the BRP. We hope to see some of ya'll on the road.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17522/E00B84B415814D5D822857551C0C7986.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 05 Ultra

Since you live in Hoboken
Hoboken huh, I was born in Hoboken. Saint Mary's Hospital. My parents grew up in Weehawken.
Anyway, me and the wife went down to Shenandoah last year and stayed here www.hillsidemotel.luray.com Wonderfull place to stay located righ on route 211 just several miles from the Thornton Gap entrance to the Drive. Skyline drive is 105 miles long and we covered it in about 5 or6 hours taking our time. Something like 75 scenic overlooks along the way and we stopped at many of them. Only went down the BRP for 50 miles and got off on Route 60 to go to Appomattox (I'm a Civil War buff) but we intend to do the whole Parkway as well as The Dragon and the Cherehola Skyway. Gonna try to this year if we can. Incidently, the Hillside Motel was written up in Iron Works Magazine back in August '06 and is a favorite place to stay for the writers and editors of that magazine. www.ironworksmag.com Nice bike friendly place. Old fashioned too. You can park your bike right outside your room unlike the multi-story chain motels. But no matter where you decide to stay, you will LOVE the ride. Ride safe and enjoy!

Old 03-19-2007, 10:55 PM
cosmo glider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 506 Likes on 198 Posts

ORIGINAL: keninnj

Any pointers???
Thanks...
Take your time, enjoy the journey. Watch where you are going, amazing the number of riders looking at everything but the road. Watch for animals.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:09 PM
nessus
Advanced

I recomend just starting out every day then pulling over to a town for a motel room or even a b&b.That way there is no schedule and you can just end up where you end up and have the ability to stay in a place an extra day if you want.Blowing rock is a cool town tho.Any way thats how we did the brp and had a great time and no probs getting a room.Havefun its a beautiful trip.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:34 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts

My brother-in-Law and I did the tripfrom NY to the Smoky Mtns backin 1995.

There is a nice KOA campground right outside the Shenandoah National Park. You can either rent a campsite or if you call in advance you may be able to rent a cabin. The cabins have a double bed and a bunk bed with electric and AC as well as a BBQ and a porch to sit on for about $50 a night.The KOA isabout 400 miles from NY so it a good day's ride to start the trip. If I remember correctlyon the second day we did Skyline Drive to the BRPto Roanoake, Va.The next morning we woke to rain so we rode the interstate to The Smokey Mtn National Park in Tennesee.

It's a great ride and you should really enjoy it.

I am leaving NW Arkansasthe Thursday before Memorial day for a two day1300 mile ride to the Shenandoah Va areawhere I ammeeting 3 buddies.We plan to spend Saturday cruising the Skyline Drive and then heading back to Dutchess Couty NY on Sunday.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Planning on the full trip in July of 2008, 2 couples, 4 bikes...should be great fun.

Microsoft Streets and trips tells me 7 days from Detroit to Gatlinburg ( via skyline and the BRP) and then back to Detroit via major roadways.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Law Dawg
Road Warrior

Great ride, Don't rush through, Enjoy the view.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

I live in Lynchburg (just south of the city, actually) and we frequently find ourselves on the Parkway taking a putt.

One off-parkway attraction was mentioned - Appomattox. You can get on Rt. 460E near Roanoke were the PW crosses and ride directly to Appomattox in less than an hour.

Another interesting side trip is to the National D-Day Memorial located in Bedford, Va. Just turn off the PW at the Peaks of Otter on Rt. 43 and follow it into the City of Bedford. Finding the memorial is easy. Bedford also boosts a great restuarant located in an old train depot near the memorial.

I think the fuel pumps that once were at the Peaks of Otter have been removed, so don't count on them being there.

Quick Reply: Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway...