General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 12:26 AM
Canedog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway...

I've done both the park way and skyline drive its a nice peaceful ride. I would suggest seeing Mt. Airy NC its where the Andy Griffin show was filmed which is a pretty cool little side trip off of the park way. A few little shops and trivia things to do like the old jail, gas station, Floyds Barber shop ... kinda cool if you grew up watching that show like I did. Blowing Rock is real nice which is right off of the park way but worth the trip, nice shops and motels. Mabry Mill is a big attraction an old mill so take your time there and plenty of pic's one of the high lights.

The fog can set in at any time and make it impossible to see. I was up there before and could not see my front fender it was so bad. So beware it gets crazy in a minute when the fog lays in. You just about have to feel your way around, real dangerous. In that case I am affraid of being hit from behind by a car or truck. So be aware of that!

It is a real slow and sometimes boring ride because of the speed limit which is monitored by park rangers pretty hard. Also, don't pass up a chance to buy gas because they the stores are limited.

Have fun and enjoy the View. You are basically riding a ridge line all the way down the eastern US. It is some more beautiful road not many like it in the USA. I love it!

DOG

Old 03-17-2007, 01:56 AM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grand Father mountain is nice. The rock at Blowing rock is not worth the price. I never had any problem drinking the water up there. Was up thar last summer, trafic was not bad. Take your time on this road. On a clear day you can see forever from the top. [8D]

Old 03-17-2007, 03:06 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior

Great thread. I have a few pics from the bike on the BRP in my folder. They were taken last May, the weekend before I deployed. I own a house in the mountains not far from Cashiers NC and have riden parts of the BRP, but not the whole length. My lovely bride and I have a trip planned to run the length of the BRP in October. I can't wait!

Any suggestions for the amount of time it will take? I was figuring on one stop midway from Cherokee to the northern end. Is this realistic? Would it be more realistic to stay two nights on the route? Thanx in advance.

el Jefe

Old 03-17-2007, 03:21 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did both in 2005.

Absolutely fantastic!!

The Blue Ridge has no guardrails over 95% of the road!!

Here is a snapshot taken somewhere along the road.

You must stop at Mabry Mills for their pancakes!!

Old 03-17-2007, 12:02 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior

Pics from last May.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24514/0F8FDC1BF9A44496BE3464E0E9459E5C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24514/BBE7819E00494F919A0AAF83EEE3AE5F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-17-2007, 02:18 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Canedog

I've done both the park way and skyline drive its a nice peaceful ride. I would suggest seeing Mt. Airy NC its where the Andy Griffin show was filmed which is a pretty cool little side trip off of the park way. A few little shops and trivia things to do like the old jail, gas station, Floyds Barber shop ... kinda cool if you grew up watching that show like I did.

DOG
The Andy Griffith show was not filmed in Mt.Airy. Andy grew upin Mt Airy and alledgedly based the show on the town. The people living there have milked that for years. Aunt Bea's this, Andy's that.....The show was filmed on a set in California.

http://www.radoknews.com/andy-griffith-show.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Airy,_North_Carolina

Old 03-17-2007, 06:26 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: ChiefGator

Great thread. I have a few pics from the bike on the BRP in my folder. They were taken last May, the weekend before I deployed. I own a house in the mountains not far from Cashiers NC and have riden parts of the BRP, but not the whole length. My lovely bride and I have a trip planned to run the length of the BRP in October. I can't wait!

Any suggestions for the amount of time it will take? I was figuring on one stop midway from Cherokee to the northern end. Is this realistic? Would it be more realistic to stay two nights on the route? Thanx in advance.

el Jefe
I guess I am the wrong person to ask............... It took me nearly 3 weeks to go from Berkeley Springs, WV to Wilmington, NC via the Parkway.

Seems I wasn't in much of a hurry, and there are so many things to see, within a 1/2 days ride of the parkway itself, you can get caught up sight seeing.
Don't miss stopping at Mt. Mitchell (highest point east of the Mississippi)..... Great view of the Smokies, on a clear day.
Also, you can pick up the Cherokee Parkway outside of Cherokee, NC where the Blueridge Parkway ends........ That will take you right into Gatlinburg, Tenn......... Another beautiful ride.

I can't say enough good things about the beauty of that whole area.
Keep an eye on your fuel level, it can be a long haul between gas stops.
Take your rain gear for sure, and dress in layers........... temps change a lot with all the up and downs.

I hope your trip is planned for early October............ Can get VERY cold/windy on the Parkway in October, and snow can be expected.

Hope this helps, too.

Don't tell too many folks how nice it is, we don't want it to get too crowded up there (LOL).

DougJ

Old 03-17-2007, 07:48 PM
mid_life_crisis
Tourer

One place you could stay is called the Peaks of Otter Lodge, near Bedford Va. No TV or Telephones, but a nice motel and restuarant, also a gas station right on the Parkway.

wayne

Old 03-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 624 Posts

It's been years since I rode BRP/SD but my hope is that it hasn't changed much. IIRC one could jump on and off the highway to make miles when time was an issue. Beautiful, beautiful area.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Canedog
Cruiser

Someone ask how long it would take to ride, both the parkway and skyline drive I usually take 4 -5 days from the south to the north then hit the interstate and fly home at warp speed riding straight thru to Ga. Most people would not ride that far in a day but I do it quite often. Its just a gas and go all the way home. But on the way up its 25-35 mph and stopping as much as you want taking pictures, looking at the widlife, just enjoying the beautiful ride. The last day is just seeing how many cars you can pass!
Dog

Quick Reply: Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway...