General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your advice on bike selection

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013 | 08:59 AM
FB1DE
|
Novice
Smile Your advice on bike selection

Hey guys,

me again, with the big question now. Which bike should I buy?

Before you answer, a few facts and constraints you should be aware of.

1 - I won't afford anything beyond the Dyna lineup.
2 - That's also to do with that I don't want to buy a bike that's over a year old. If a Softail or any of the Tourers is older and worn, it might get into my affordable price range, but: I can't fully justify why that's out of question, except that I can't get comfortable with the thought of spending so much on a bike that has already gone so many miles, is out of warranty, or needs serious maintenance.
3 - I am 6 feet 1, or 1.86 meter tall, normal weight.
4 - My primary reason for wanting to buy a bike is for having fun, enjoying anything from a short ride on a sunny evening, to an occasional mid distance trip between 100-400 miles . I don't 'need' a bike for commuting or so, as I have a nice car.
5 - I will mostly want to ride when the weather is nice. I'm not going to jump off the bike if it starts raining, but if it's supposed to rain mostly on a day, the ride will stay inside.
6 - I will mostly drive on paved roads. Well, I guess if not, I would need another type of bike :-)
Roads might be small, but paved they will be. German Autobahn for some of the occasional longer trips.
7 - I imagine myself enjoying a rather leasury ride, rather than darting ahead, full throttle, just for the kick of it. Isn't me.

Now, initially, I thought I might start with a model from the sportster range. Especially the XL 1200 CB appeals to me, visually, and because of the mini ape hanger. That's a very comfortable position for me personally.
So XL 1200 I thought - until I sat on one. I am unsure now, as the bike felt a bit small under me. Not like way too small for me, but still... It's not out of the race for me, but I started to get some doubts.

In the Dyna range, I like them all, generally. However 2 of them models appear to me more than others, although they are vastly different: The Wide Glide, and the Switchback.

Sitting on the Wide Glide feels like that's how a Harley is supposed to be. Love the whole body posture on that thing! I am much concerned though about the security for a beginner like me, considering that skinny front tire :-/
Can you tell me what you think about that concern, please?

Next the Switchback: I love how the bike looks like with or without the touring gear, and of course that I would get a bit from both worlds, a sporty chopper and a decent mid range tourer with that windshield and the practical storage boxes. The bike sits slightly above my budget range for the bike, but i could make it work.

I also like the other Dyna models, but they seem to stand out less to me. Perhaps I just don't know enough about them, so if you would recommend me any of the others, please let me know why you recommend them over the Wide Glide or Switchback.

Well, I guess that's it for now. Really looking forward to your opinions and responses! You all have been a great help for me so far!

Just ask if you would like to know anything else that I may have forgotten to mention.

Cheers!
Frank

Last edited by FB1DE; 12-29-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-29-2013 | 09:06 AM
obidio
Road Captain

wide glide. you already like the "feel". It's hard to get to like a bike that just doesn't "feel" right from the beginning.

Old 12-29-2013 | 09:08 AM
obidio
Road Captain

A used Softail might be better for you...bigger and a bit more stable. Since you mentioned the "skinny" front tire and safety issue...

Old 12-29-2013 | 09:16 AM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master

I ride a wide glide, and I've never experienced any problems at all with the skinny front tire. Maybe it's just what I'm used to. Personally, I'm much more worried a bout a dented rim, because it's so dang big around and spoked. But that hasn't happened yet, either, and I've put just over 14,000 miles on in a little over a year.

Either bike will do you right. I almost bought a Sportster, but I love to ride the highway (even the interstate, from time to time) and it just didn't feel right at highway speed to me.

The softtails are nice, but a bit pricy to me.

I put detachable bags on the WG when I need to carry something. I have a detachable sissy bar and luggage for even longer trips. But for bombing around town, I love the naked look.

Have fun - buy the one you want, not the one you will settle for.

Old 12-29-2013 | 09:38 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member

Test ride the WG an the Switchback. Hell, also the SuperGlide and StreetBob and FatBob.

Old 12-29-2013 | 09:42 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior

[QUOTE=Qdog002;12137294]Test ride the WG an the Switchback. Hell, also the SuperGlide and StreetBob and FatBob.[/QUO

Yeah that!

Old 12-29-2013 | 10:04 AM
rmarino14
Tourer

There are a lot of used softails out there that don't have a lot of miles on them. So if you look you could find one in your price range and in very good condition. I've ridden almost every bike Harley offers and for my type of riding the softail offers me what I need in a bike. From what you describe a softail or dyna will suit your needs.

Have you had a chance to ride the bikes you're looking for? That's really the only way to tell if you will like the bike.

Old 12-29-2013 | 10:19 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Look at your money situation and rule out the ones you can't afford. Then test ride the bikes you're interested in. Not knowing either thing about you, that's all I can suggest.

Old 12-29-2013 | 10:23 AM
HiwayMiles
4th Gear

I don't know about Germany but in the States it's not uncommon to find 5+ year-old Harleys with hardly any miles, far from old or worn out

Old 12-29-2013 | 10:32 AM
FB1DE
|
Novice

I should have mentioned that I definitely want ABS. Does anyone know since which year the Dynas and the Softails come with ABS?

Quick Reply: Your advice on bike selection