General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your advice on bike selection

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013 | 04:37 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Just for sake of arguement.... not trying to change your mind....

In December 2007 I purchased a 2005 FLTRi with 10,256 miles on it from a dealership... for less than a new Dyna .

I would not over look the "used market".... there are many bikes out there with little to no miles, and thousands of dollars off MSRP. If budget is your concern... that is the place I'd steer towards

good luck

Old 12-30-2013 | 05:12 AM
FB1DE
|
Novice

Originally Posted by skootchnc
Just for sake of arguement.... not trying to change your mind....

In December 2007 I purchased a 2005 FLTRi with 10,256 miles on it from a dealership... for less than a new Dyna .

I would not over look the "used market".... there are many bikes out there with little to no miles, and thousands of dollars off MSRP. If budget is your concern... that is the place I'd steer towards

good luck
Yes, you're right. I am not against a used one, but I feel they shouldn't be more than 2 years old and not have run over 6,000 miles.
I have been looking whether I can get a Softail Heritage for my budget, and I can, but haven't found one that isn't like 6 years old and has run like 25-30,000 miles.

While we're at it: how long will the average Softail bike last, in miles, before significant parts failure can be expected? Is there any range that can serve as a guideline?

Old 12-30-2013 | 05:38 AM
Guitardude
Club Member

Originally Posted by FB1DE
Yes, you're right. I am not against a used one, but I feel they shouldn't be more than 2 years old and not have run over 6,000 miles.
I have been looking whether I can get a Softail Heritage for my budget, and I can, but haven't found one that isn't like 6 years old and has run like 25-30,000 miles.

While we're at it: how long will the average Softail bike last, in miles, before significant parts failure can be expected? Is there any range that can serve as a guideline?

Bike selection...really?

It's not hard, think about the kind of riding you want to do, go find the one that you like when you sit on it and ride it, buy it, enjoy it.

Asking guys who have as many different reasons for riding and how we ride as there are bikes made to pick a bike for YOU isn't your best idea...asking about the pros and cons of specific bikes maybe...

As for the Heritage. Nice bikes, in a lot of guys opinion, mine included, it's the best all around bike Harley ever made. Easy cruise around town or 3000 mile road trips, it does them both comfortably and looks good doing it.

Do NOT let miles and years bother you. Look at the BIKE. I can show you an 04 with 50k on it that is in better shape than a few 2010's with 3,000 miles on them because it's been ridden and taken care of.

Last edited by Guitardude; 12-30-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-30-2013 | 06:06 AM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member

id buy a triumph third..or u could travel to uk or spain i sold a few hd to a german geezer who took em back to germany he was making a killing (i was doing ok as well) check ebay or mcn for prices..
http://tonisglamourshack.blogspot.co.uk

http://www.motorcyclenews.com

Old 12-30-2013 | 11:07 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

I love my wide glide, it's like a sports car (Porsche vs Panzer) and you can add accessories as the need arises.

I switched the spoke wheels for cast ones by Hog Pro and am less concerned about potholes and ruts, the smaller front wheel is not a problem.

If you feel a bike it is probably the one- people who select on logic mostly regret buying based completely on that.

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/de

http://www.harley-davidson.com/de_DE...ide-glide.html

Old 12-30-2013 | 12:54 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

I would opt for a Dyna over any of the Softails because of the restricted lean angles on the Softails. (They just can't handle the twisties well for my taste.) (Harley publishes the lean angles on its website. Check them out. You'll be surprised. The Softails sacrifice lean for the cool low-slung look, to the detriment of handling.)

The Superglide is a great bike. If you want one that comes tricked out for touring, I would go with the Switchback, which is a very versatile bike.

Old 12-30-2013 | 02:02 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

Sportster is WAY too small for you. I would go with the SuperGlide Custom...Best looking Dyna, best bang for the buck (or deutschmark)

Old 12-30-2013 | 02:58 PM
JaySwear
Road Captain

I love my Sporster, but it would be a little small for you I think. Dickey's advice is good, the SGC would be my choice

Old 01-02-2014 | 07:33 AM
FB1DE
|
Novice

I will save the final choice for after I have been able to do a few test rides on the various models - however this discussion helps me narrow it all down a bit.

On second look, I like the Super Glide Custom, too. I also like the Road King Classic a lot, but it's probably a bit much bike for a newbie - besides that even the used ones are mostly out of budget range. Switchback is still on the shortlist, too. Heritage as well, if I can find an affordable one.

I'll drive over to the Harley dealer later today to collect a couple additional impressions. Also, I need to try on some gear I might buy. Overall I am not in a hurry, it will be a few more months before I will finally buy, but obviously I feel like I can't wait :-)

About used models: I don't know how I must "look at" an older bike and tell whether it's in good shape or not. I understand age and miles, but unless the bike is physically and visually defect, I am unable to tell its condition. How do you do that?

Sorry if that's a dumb question, but hey, newbie alarm :-) I told you :-)

Old 01-02-2014 | 08:05 AM
Guitardude
Club Member

Originally Posted by FB1DE

[...]

About used models: I don't know how I must "look at" an older bike and tell whether it's in good shape or not. I understand age and miles, but unless the bike is physically and visually defect, I am unable to tell its condition. How do you do that?

Sorry if that's a dumb question, but hey, newbie alarm :-) I told you :-)
First of all, don't over-think this. It's really not rocker science.

Look at th over-all condition. You can tell if it's been taken care of or abused...normal wear and tear is one thing, signs of it not being cared for are another, and a reason to step away. Pull the dipstick and look at the oil. Does it look fresh or close to it? Ask how often it's been changed and with what oil. If it's an individual who has cared for it, they'll know.

If it's at a dealer, even better. Ask about the way they check out used bikes and what they do before offering them for sale. Ask for a 90 day warrentee. If they are willing to do that, it's a good bet they've already checked it out and know it's ok. Take it to another shop,and pay the fee to have it checked out...

The biggest factor in a used bike is YOU. How do YOU feel about it?

Quick Reply: Your advice on bike selection