General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your advice on bike selection

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013 | 10:50 AM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior

My advice is that your opinion is the only one that matters! so buy what you want .

Old 12-29-2013 | 11:02 AM
FB1DE
|
Novice

Originally Posted by Panchorelly
My advice is that your opinion is the only one that matters! so buy what you want .
Sure, but perhaps there are some pros and cons that I am unaware of (very likely), and I find it valuable to hear about the experiences others have made, good and bad buying decisions and their reasons.

Old 12-29-2013 | 11:54 AM
rmarino14
Tourer

Originally Posted by FB1DE
Sure, but perhaps there are some pros and cons that I am unaware of (very likely), and I find it valuable to hear about the experiences others have made, good and bad buying decisions and their reasons.
One experience I know is that I will never buy a bike without some type of saddlebags either leather, or hard. If the bike doesn't come with them I would be adding them to the bike. Also, windshield helps in the winter keeping the cold wind off. In the rain it helps keep most of it off you.

Old 12-29-2013 | 12:14 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

The switchback because of the versatility. The bags and windshield are detachable and you WILL want storage of some kind. It is also handles better because of the FL front end that was specifically designed for that bike so it would handle really well. I do however think the wide glide is the better looking between the two.

Old 12-29-2013 | 12:33 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member

I moved from an 08 Roadster Sporty to a 2013 Heritage this past March. Wife and I road two up on Sportster. I'm 6'2" 200 lbs. Wife is 100 lbs. I like the feel of sitting in the bike rather than the feel of sitting on the bike like the Road King felt to me.
We went with the Heritage for more room and the versatility of being both a cruiser and a touring bike. We do mostly short to day trips. We did a five day 1,000 mile vacation this past summer and really enjoyed the comfort.
The Heritage is $18,000 plus, but comes of course nicely equipped. We just added a luggage rack. If you like the Heritage style, you will find a Dyna will get into the softail price range quick if your going to buy bags etc for traveling for the Dyna. However if you like the cruiser style, the Dyna looks great. But, and I say a strong but, if you my size the Dyna will be small if you ride two up. The Heritage wheel base is one inch longer than an Ultra, and I find the ride good for shock suspension. Not the air ride comfort of the touring models, but still comfy for a bike.
Maybe someone with both softail and touring experience could weigh in. The Dyna is nice but it's still on the Sportster side of motorcycling, not the greatest for two up riding, but fun as hell power and zipping around for an afternoon.

Old 12-29-2013 | 02:23 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

Test ride all the bikes you're interested in and get the one that "feels" the best, don't worry about anything else!

Old 12-29-2013 | 02:33 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member

I'm a little biased, but I've owned baggers and I'm now riding one of these. Does everything I ask it to do. Don't miss the baggers at all. Added forward controls, and it's as comfy as anything I've ever owned. ElectraGlides included. BTW, I'm 6', 230 lbs.

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 12-29-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2013 | 03:15 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member

I'll agree with most other people get something with bags and a windshield. I love my Heritage and would never move to something without bags.

Old 12-30-2013 | 01:18 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Look at the Fat Bob. Similar styling as the Wide Glide, with a fat front tire. And you can put Apes on it.

As far as the Switchback goes, it's a great bike. But for that money, you might as well save a bit more and get a Road King.

I don't know how you buy bikes over there, but if you have actual dealerships that stock bikes, finding a left-over will save you quite a bit of money. In other words, in late August (or whenever your dealers get their shipments of new bikes in), buy one that is left over from the current year. Like when the 2014s hit the floor, deals could be made on the 2013s that were still sticking around and not moving.

Lots of luck to you! BTW, not sure I'd want to ride a Harley on the Autobahn unless they have a dedicated slow lane. Like in the 80-100 mph range.

Old 12-30-2013 | 01:54 AM
jl207299
Cruiser

I think the Switchback is going to offer you the versitility to allow you to "grow" in any direction.
You'll find out if your next bike should be a bit more of a stripped down bike or if you prefer the touring line...and with the added versitility it may be a very long time before you consider another bike.

Quick Reply: Your advice on bike selection