General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts counter at Harley dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:17 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 462 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaresz
Funny, I've got 3 dealers within a 20 minute ride and never had a problem at any of them. They usually recognize me and on most occasions call me by name. Not sure if it's because I live in HD's backyard or not but I've rarely had dealership issues like these.
I have two dealers within 20 minutes of me here in Northern Colorado and both have excellent parts departments. I guess like anything else, it's all about the people.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:24 PM
terdben
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go to the Service Desk

I used to work in the service dept at the local Harley Dealer. If it's just some temporary information you need until you can get a manual they shouldn't care to copy the information for you! Well I know we would...

Old 12-28-2013, 10:34 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Very few dealers stock service manuals because very few bike owners use them. They don't even open up their owners manual. If the dealer did they would have shelves full of unsold manuals for various families and years. Not a smart idea.

Plus why would you go to any dealer and order one when they can be had online for $48 with out sales tax from the several online HD dealers? It will arrive at your door step in only a few days.

I rarely shop at a dealer for parts unless they have a promotion. On "Toys for Tots" event the dealer gives a 25% discount when you bring in a $10 toy. I go in with a list. Feb. is 20% off tires and batteries. The parts counter has never been a problem. The guy is my neighbor for 12 years. He knows many numbers off his head. He and the rest of the staff including the owner know that I do my own service and buy online. I still get great attention from all of them. I'm "my hero" to the owners wife as I ride in to the dealership all winter for hot chocolate/donuts/coffee.

Last edited by lh4x4; 12-28-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:59 PM
kirbyblue
Tourer

I needed locks for 1992 electra glide saddle bags. Three parts departments in three different parts of us told me they dont make them any more. My bike is too old. I was looking at tour pack on friends bike. same looks I needed. I go back to parts department and tell guy I need locks for tour pack. He says what year. It dont matter pick a year. He says I need the year. I tell him 1992 but any locks will fit. He tells me they dont have those my bike is too old. Some other guy is listening and come from the back with a pair of locks for a 2007 tour pack. they work great. all that took two years

Old 12-29-2013, 12:57 AM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 695 Likes on 338 Posts

Parts guy at my local is actually pretty cool. Even loaned me a T45 bit for relocating my turn signals to the 'trees. Then, when I brought the bit back, I asked for a couple acorn nuts for the mirror stems, he grabs a couple of the bin, hands 'em to me & says don't worry about it when I reach for my wallet.

Dunno if I'll ever let 'em inside my motor, or buy too many expensive geegaws from 'em, but they'll deff be my source for maintenance stuff & smaller items.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:33 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,418 Likes on 2,591 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
I woulda gotten loud. I find that usually works.
You could always try the picking your nose thing too dickey. I'm sure that would work also. lol

Old 12-29-2013, 07:33 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
I have been behind the counter for more or less 15 years now. Yes the parts counter help that a lot of dealerships hire don't know a lot about the product they sell. That is what guys like myself are for is to show therm and help them when needed.

As for bringing in your own part numbers scribbled on a piece of paper, I myself would never order any if it without looking it up first. That to me is more customer service than just punching your numbers into my computer.

And one more thing. Most of the problems at a parts counter are usually caused by the actual customer not knowing what he is talking about or actually needs. Plus coming in with the attitude that you know more than anyone in there gets you nowhere. It's a two way street not a one way.
i also know that the "parts counter help that a lot of dealerships hire don't know a lot about the product they sell".having said that, i don't know if you're a parts scrub or not. i know that parts depts. have location numbers, of course you have to look the part # up to see if it's in stock and it's location. i know what i want, if i didn't, i wouldn't know what the # was in the first place.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:46 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,418 Likes on 2,591 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
I have been behind the counter for more or less 15 years now. Yes the parts counter help that a lot of dealerships hire don't know a lot about the product they sell. That is what guys like myself are for is to show therm and help them when needed.

As for bringing in your own part numbers scribbled on a piece of paper, I myself would never order any if it without looking it up first. That to me is more customer service than just punching your numbers into my computer.

And one more thing. Most of the problems at a parts counter are usually caused by the actual customer not knowing what he is talking about or actually needs. Plus coming in with the attitude that you know more than anyone in there gets you nowhere. It's a two way street not a one way.
I never go in any where thinking I know more than the people in there. In fact most that know me including many on here will tell you I'm probably tell you I'm looking to make them laugh. I know a dumb *** when I speak to one,not hard to figure out. Been working on bikes the 45 years I've been riding them. When I get an attitude it's because of guy's like you that think they know it all. Been at my job for 35+ years and still don't know it all and looking to learn everyday I go to work.Have a nice day from one New Yorker to another.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:55 AM
Tarbaby
Advanced

Being in retail sales for 30 plus years I can say I've seen all kinds! Some know exactly what they want while others need guidance. To prevent a bad experience I would take their information or part number but I will verify that it is correct before ordering! I don't want an unhappy customer that might call me a "parts scrub" an never come back into my store! I don't want an in correct item sitting on my shelf based on the idea of "I know the part number, just order it!" Brings into it the old adage TRUST AND VERIFY! Another thing I have learned about retail sales is that "Everyone who passes thru my doors brightens my day, some when they come in, and some when they go out!!!!

Old 12-29-2013, 08:13 AM
The Biscuit
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
So incredibly hit and miss, it's almost funny. But also a waste of time.

I am out of town on vacation, but I stopped at the local Harley dealer to pick up a service manual for my Slim.

I'm waiting at the counter, behind a guy.

Other parts guy walks up and says can I help you.

I say, ya, I'd like a service manual for my bike.

I walk to the register he is approaching, but of course, he proceeds to have trouble logging into that one and walks to the one furthest from me.

So I truck to the one further away, thinking no big deal.

He says, what year and model.

I say 2013 Softail Slim

He says owner, or service manual?

I say -- again -- service manual.

He pounds his keyboard, and ask if I've been there before.

I say, no I'm from out of town.

He ask my name.

I'm thinking to myself, what difference does it make, but give it.

He says, phone number?

I say, I'm from out of town. I don't think that's going to help you in your system.

He says, it's so we can call you when the part comes in. It's not something we have here in the shop.

I say for a third time, I'm from out of town, so I'm not really going to be able to pick it up.

The lightbulb finally goes off, dimly, and he says oh. Unsure what to do.

I say, thanks anyway, and walk out.

I don't know if he ever even looked it up to see if they had the manual. But at that point, I didn't want to buy anything from this place or the brain fart parts guy.

Maybe they were worn out after the Xmas rush. Then again, this is standard for most any Harley dealer I've been to.

I should have just stuck to my original plan and ordered the service manual online.
To me this just seems like a bashing post and you are letting us all know you act like a dick on vacation. But Never fear,, this forum you will find others that will stroke your ego.

Quick Reply: Parts counter at Harley dealer