General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts counter at Harley dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told at the local **** gobbler Harley dealer that everyone on the sales floor can sell bikes, cloths and parts.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:07 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,418 Likes on 2,591 Posts

Originally Posted by bagga
i have a parts manual and i look up the part # and write it on a piece of paper before i go to the dealer. i walk in the door and head for the parts scrub.
parts scrub, "can i help you"?
me, "i need this part" handing him the paper with the # on it.
parts scrub, "what bike"?
me, "i need that part"
me, "do you have that part"?
me, "i have a parts book and that's the part #i need".
parts scrub, "oh you're one of those guys".
i picked up the paper and left. i went to a different dealer and set the same paper on the counter. they looked it up, and got me the part without questioning anything.

I've done the same thing. I've offended the young guys enough times they won't deal with me.Usaually it's one guy that's been there years that waits on me.I buy nothing from my local dealer that is beyond maintainece items I'm not stocked up on.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the same crap in the motor clothes department. For 2 years I have gone to my local dealer wanting a heated jacket liner and dual controller to work with the gloves I got as a gift. They always have jacket liner but do not carry the controllers to run the stuff. Freekin unbelievable! Like a gun shop that doesn't sell ammo.They always say "we can order it for you". I don't NEED the heated gear so no big deal. I will eventually get it from redzilla I guess.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:32 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarbaby
If that item was not ordered with a purchase order with your name on it, it was just a stock item!!!!! The fact that it was ordered as a special order item, and still there tells me that they should have taken it back with a smile. They took it back once and they should not have stuck you with it!!!! I would contact Harley!!!!!
Dealers here don't take returns on special order stuff. It must not have been picked up after it was ordered. But they don't order stuff either unless it's paid for in advance. So was the seat already paid for once so they made their profit twice on it ?

Old 12-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Harlie Rider
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
I have been behind the counter for more or less 15 years now. Yes the parts counter help that a lot of dealerships hire don't know a lot about the product they sell. That is what guys like myself are for is to show therm and help them when needed.

As for bringing in your own part numbers scribbled on a piece of paper, I myself would never order any if it without looking it up first. That to me is more customer service than just punching your numbers into my computer.

And one more thing. Most of the problems at a parts counter are usually caused by the actual customer not knowing what he is talking about or actually needs. Plus coming in with the attitude that you know more than anyone in there gets you nowhere. It's a two way street not a one way.
Wow!!! An actual PERFECT parts scrub who has never made a mistake in 15 years!!!
In other words what you are saying is you have never given out the wrong part because you never make a mistake looking up a part #, correct?
You have never had a customer drive XX numbers of miles because you have never made a mistake on an "in-stock" question? What you are saying is, the average customer has no knowledge about what part he needs, only what you can look up and say, "no, I don't have that in stock but I can order it for you"?
It is not for you to question someone who comes in with a p/n in hand and says, "I need this". All you should do is take the p/n, tap your little keyboard and say, "yes , I do have that or no I do not have that in stock".
in stock, but

Old 12-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Harlie Rider
Wow!!! An actual PERFECT parts scrub who has never made a mistake in 15 years!!!
In other words what you are saying is you have never given out the wrong part because you never make a mistake looking up a part #, correct?
You have never had a customer drive XX numbers of miles because you have never made a mistake on an "in-stock" question? What you are saying is, the average customer has no knowledge about what part he needs, only what you can look up and say, "no, I don't have that in stock but I can order it for you"?
It is not for you to question someone who comes in with a p/n in hand and says, "I need this". All you should do is take the p/n, tap your little keyboard and say, "yes , I do have that or no I do not have that in stock".
in stock, but
For one I never said I was a "parts scrub" *******. It's guys like you that are the problem. And who the hell are you to totally insult me anyway?

Clearly you don't get it.

Last edited by Scrambler900; 12-28-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:59 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Old 12-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,311 Likes on 6,750 Posts

I always have the H-D part # before going to the dealer. I never had any problems with the part person.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 861 Likes on 651 Posts

When i go to the HD dealer I take the part number and either a phone picture or printout.
Folks at the parts counter ask all the usual questions in order to verify application.
Kinda like a double check since sometimes the part number is incorrect, out dated and sometimes the computer makes a mistake.
So with the part number & picture or printout it is easier to confirm.
Car dealers almost always ask for the VIN number since there are variants within the same series/year.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:54 PM
Aaresz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny, I've got 3 dealers within a 20 minute ride and never had a problem at any of them. They usually recognize me and on most occasions call me by name. Not sure if it's because I live in HD's backyard or not but I've rarely had dealership issues like these.

Quick Reply: Parts counter at Harley dealer