General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts counter at Harley dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Lobo45
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's like any place you go to, that person has too know there job. Customer service is hard to find now a days. If no one complains to the boss, then he/she thinks everything is good.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:45 AM
pld578
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
I have been behind the counter for more or less 15 years now. Yes the parts counter help that a lot of dealerships hire don't know a lot about the product they sell. That is what guys like myself are for is to show therm and help them when needed.

As for bringing in your own part numbers scribbled on a piece of paper, I myself would never order any if it without looking it up first. That to me is more customer service than just punching your numbers into my computer.

And one more thing. Most of the problems at a parts counter are usually caused by the actual customer not knowing what he is talking about or actually needs. Plus coming in with the attitude that you know more than anyone in there gets you nowhere. It's a two way street not a one way.
You are so right Scrambler900. It definitely is a two way street. Many customers have no clue what they want or need. Many don't even know the model/year of their bike. Many expect the parts guys to know if such and such part that is for a Softail, will it fit on their Sportster. Or the guy who thinks he saved a bundle buying the luggage rack on Ebay, and now he needs all the missing hardware that didn't come with the rack. He probably could've bought the rack whole from the dealer and not paid much more. I once suggested a thread on this site called Bad Customers/Good Customers to compliment the Bad Dealer/Good Dealer thread. This would be a place where dealer personnel could share stories about unreasonable customers who waste time, expect the counter guys to look up part numbers so they can go buy it online etc.. Flame away.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,608 Likes on 848 Posts

My local dealer had 3 people who were really sharp at the parts counter. They were the type who knew what worked, whether it was by the book or not. One of them happened to be a gal. When needing something, I would usually try to deal with one of them. Unfortunately, the gal and one of the guys are now service writers, so they're down to just the one really outstanding guy.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:01 AM
lowriderbob
Advanced

I just went through this Thursday, went to the local hd shop to get an idle cable for my 2000 road king with cruise. After 30 mins of well, don't know, I looked it up on my phone only to find out...."WE DONT GOT IT BUT WE CAN ORDER IT FOR YOU, IT WILL TAKE 2-3 WEEKS". No thanks, went home ordered it online it will be here on or before Jan. 2nd!!!!!

Old 12-28-2013, 10:02 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by alhd
My son rides a 02 Springer. I saw a nice flame embroidered seat at the dealership that I thought would make a nice birthday gift for him. Took it to the parts counter to confirm it would work on an 02 Springer. Two parts guys say yes its for an 01 to 06 Softail, Springer included. I buy it.

Doesn't fit. I take it back. The dealership says they wont take it back because it was special ordered. I tell them I didn't order it I bought it off the shelf. Dealership says it was originally a special order so sorry about your luck.

Aaaaaargh. As it turns out the seat fits 06 and up Softails. I guess I am looking for an 06 Softail. At least I've got the seat.
To me that is worse than anything that happened in Gillette Wyoming because you are now paying for their dishonest stupidity. You should post up who that dealer is.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had split experiences.

One dealership is pretty hit or miss, and mostly miss. They NEVER have anything in stock aside from oil, filters, and a random scattering of parts to hang on their wall so it looks like they have parts. They seem to know the Drag Spec catalog better than the MoCo one. Have had some limited success, but rarely even bother anymore. This one is pretty much right next door. They all know me by name. Small dealership.

The other dealership, 60 miles or so away, is the opposite. They are a big dealership, but also know me, and the aftermarket parts people (along with a couple of the sales folks, manager, and a couple of the mechanics) know me, my bikes, and a general plan for the future mods. While they are aware that I'll do *most* of my own wrenching, and possibly will look elsewhere for parts or get them on a good discount through them, they still are extremely helpful. Once, I had called them for advice on O2 bung adapters that I needed RIGHT NOW, and they set up a conference call between aftermarket, a mechanic, and the parts department. Turns out, they were able to answer my issue, and got things settled. They didn't make anything off of that part, but I did have the exhaust finished and was able to make it to my appointment at their shop for the dyno/tune I had scheduled the next morning.

Guess which dealership gets my "I need to go to the dealership" business?

Old 12-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Homeward Bound
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does their parts system have a reverse search facility which tell them which models which parts fit, e.g. if you give them a part number, can't they tell which models from that?

I am guessing, from experience on online part searches, that the answer is no.

They can, however, just look up given parts numbers if you give them to it so I guess the little imp was just messing with you.

It's a power and authority trip making you have to answer their questions. They're so low in the pecking order, it's just a little battle of wills. You're the only one they have a chance of having under them.

What I don't understand is why they won't admitting to having stuff that the service center must have to run, e.g. assorted nuts and bolts, washers and o rings etc.

I tend to use, this online fiche system. It's useful to go through thing yourself in advance.

Then if their computers start to loop out just say, "Look, I just want this and will take responsibility for it" and then say nothing more.

I used to work as a part manager. I learnt even the smallest goodwill generally paid back 10 fold or more at a later date. There's something wrong with kids and old ******** today ... they have no idea what "service" means and why it is important.

But then why should they if they are being shafted by their bosses too? I hear junior service tech giving up and complaining about the way/pay they are treated. I guess it's a bit like Hollywood where there are so many wannabes that anyone with the bricks and mortar has a queue of willing victims to chose from.

They'll soon have kids sleeping under the counter and paying to apprentice again ...

Last edited by Homeward Bound; 12-28-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:40 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
A good dealer does this as a favour to you. The dealer wants to make sure they give you the correct part, that you did not transpose a number or copy something wrong. They may have been doing it as a favour to you, why be so harsh on them?
i might have stuck around if he didn't drop "oh, you're one of those guys" on me.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Tarbaby
Advanced

Originally Posted by dickey

I woulda gotten loud. I find that usually works.
If that item was not ordered with a purchase order with your name on it, it was just a stock item!!!!! The fact that it was ordered as a special order item, and still there tells me that they should have taken it back with a smile. They took it back once and they should not have stuck you with it!!!! I would contact Harley!!!!!

Old 12-28-2013, 03:13 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by alhd
My son rides a 02 Springer. I saw a nice flame embroidered seat at the dealership that I thought would make a nice birthday gift for him. Took it to the parts counter to confirm it would work on an 02 Springer. Two parts guys say yes its for an 01 to 06 Softail, Springer included. I buy it.

Doesn't fit. I take it back. The dealership says they wont take it back because it was special ordered. I tell them I didn't order it I bought it off the shelf. Dealership says it was originally a special order so sorry about your luck.

Aaaaaargh. As it turns out the seat fits 06 and up Softails. I guess I am looking for an 06 Softail. At least I've got the seat.
I would have told the dealership if its a special order then what the hell was it doing on your shelf, are you guys F'n phycsic? I enjoy those moments more when theirs lots of customers around.

Quick Reply: Parts counter at Harley dealer