General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts counter at Harley dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 07:42 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,661 Likes on 2,538 Posts

Originally Posted by alhd
My son rides a 02 Springer. I saw a nice flame embroidered seat at the dealership that I thought would make a nice birthday gift for him. Took it to the parts counter to confirm it would work on an 02 Springer. Two parts guys say yes its for an 01 to 06 Softail, Springer included. I buy it.

Doesn't fit. I take it back. The dealership says they wont take it back because it was special ordered. I tell them I didn't order it I bought it off the shelf. Dealership says it was originally a special order so sorry about your luck.

Aaaaaargh. As it turns out the seat fits 06 and up Softails. I guess I am looking for an 06 Softail. At least I've got the seat.
I woulda gotten loud. I find that usually works.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:43 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want something from a Dealer you need to do the legwork first, look it up online - get the correct part number then go in and get the part, I can't count on two hands how many times I went to the dealer gave them the model and year got back home and had the wrong part. Either their under-trained, the computer system they are using is **** or they just don't care- I think the last example hits the nail on the head more times than not!

Old 12-28-2013, 07:50 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,165 Likes on 6,705 Posts

On the other hand, our local dealer didn't have what I was looking for, but checked the inventory of three other reasonably close dealers and told me who did have it. The local knew they wouldn't get any money out of it, but will see me again another time because they understand customer service.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:54 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bagga
i have a parts manual and i look up the part # and write it on a piece of paper before i go to the dealer. i walk in the door and head for the parts scrub.
parts scrub, "can i help you"?
me, "i need this part" handing him the paper with the # on it.
parts scrub, "what bike"?
me, "i need that part"
me, "do you have that part"?
me, "i have a parts book and that's the part #i need".
parts scrub, "oh you're one of those guys".
i picked up the paper and left. i went to a different dealer and set the same paper on the counter. they looked it up, and got me the part without questioning anything.

A good dealer does this as a favour to you. The dealer wants to make sure they give you the correct part, that you did not transpose a number or copy something wrong. They may have been doing it as a favour to you, why be so harsh on them?

Old 12-28-2013, 07:57 AM
alhd
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
I woulda gotten loud. I find that usually works.
On the flip side I may be able to use this seat to convince mother to add to the bike collection.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:11 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm pretty lucky. One dealer near me I can say "I need a couple of cam cover gaskets" he says "evo or twin cam" and will walk out with the exact part. The other one I walk in and say "I need a couple of cam cover gaskets" he says "you know where the box is" if it's in "the box" of miscellaneous gaskets, it's free. I scored about 150$ worth of gaskets for the price of 2 orings.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been behind the counter for more or less 15 years now. Yes the parts counter help that a lot of dealerships hire don't know a lot about the product they sell. That is what guys like myself are for is to show therm and help them when needed.

As for bringing in your own part numbers scribbled on a piece of paper, I myself would never order any if it without looking it up first. That to me is more customer service than just punching your numbers into my computer.

And one more thing. Most of the problems at a parts counter are usually caused by the actual customer not knowing what he is talking about or actually needs. Plus coming in with the attitude that you know more than anyone in there gets you nowhere. It's a two way street not a one way.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:51 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by bagga
i have a parts manual and i look up the part # and write it on a piece of paper before i go to the dealer. i walk in the door and head for the parts scrub.
parts scrub, "can i help you"?
me, "i need this part" handing him the paper with the # on it.
me, "i need that part"
me, "do you have that part"?
me, "i have a parts book and that's the part #i need".
parts scrub, "oh you're one of those guys".
i picked up the paper and left. i went to a different dealer and set the same paper on the counter. they looked it up, and got me the part without questioning anything.
......... that's Funny , he wasn't even listening to ya .

Old 12-28-2013, 09:01 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ib5150
If you want something from a Dealer you need to do the legwork first, look it up online - get the correct part number then go in and get the part, I can't count on two hands how many times I went to the dealer gave them the model and year got back home and had the wrong part. Either their under-trained, the computer system they are using is **** or they just don't care- I think the last example hits the nail on the head more times than not!

I had the part number. We never got that far through this routine questions.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,925 Likes on 19,371 Posts

With few exceptions, "Scrambler900" being one, it's generally a minimum wage position. Of course, we all know that you get what you pay for ( usually ). It brings to mind the fast food workers who are striking across the country to get the minimum wage for them raised to $15.00 per hour. If that happens then many of the HD counter personnel will head for the burger and fries factories. I can see it now .. "Would you like fries with that?" ... "Fried in Vegetable Oil or Synthetic?" :>)

Quick Reply: Parts counter at Harley dealer