General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer discounts on new Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 02:17 PM
FB1DE
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dealer discounts on new Harley?

Hey guys,

as I am going to buy my first Harley soon, I am wondering whether any of you had any success in negotiating any discounts from a dealer? I am probably going to buy in January/February - at least for car dealers, one of the worst months and usually you can negotiate some sizeable discounts then.

So what's the story with negotiating anything from HD dealers? Is it possible, if yes, how much % is reasonable, and has anyone had any first hand success negotiating from HD dealers?

Advice much appreciated!

Thanks
Frank

Old 12-27-2013, 02:31 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

Go to the coldest climate and buy in Jan. during a blizzard. That's your best chance with a dealer getting a good deal. SJ Ron

Old 12-27-2013, 02:33 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no idea how it is in europe...american dealers are going to stick to m.s.r.p. as much as possible. they will usually waive freight and set-up charges. free services and in-store discounts are common. i would negotiate any accessories and modifications at the time of the initial purchase. harley dealers are not like automobile dealers--they are not constantly running sales and marking things down. you should at least get a free tee shirt.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:37 PM
JohnnyDrama
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They will deal. You should be able to get at least a thousand off of MSRP even on a 2014, or at least waive freight, set up, or doc fees. You should be able to get $2K off MSRP if you haggle enough. If they won't deal with you, take your business to another dealer who will. I recommend Buddy Stubbs in Phoenix if you're ever in this neck of the woods.

Last edited by JohnnyDrama; 12-27-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:38 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

At the end of the 13 model year I got a 13 Street Bob (TC96) for $11,500 and all fees waived. TTL of course. My 14 King was $2K off msrp and regular fees(not jacked up like a $995 set up fee a recent poster had).

Both bikes delivered at 1 mile on the odometer. I request they not test ride. Then I do 12 heat cycles the first week before they even get on the road.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
no idea how it is in europe...american dealers are going to stick to m.s.r.p. as much as possible. they will usually waive freight and set-up charges. free services and in-store discounts are common. i would negotiate any accessories and modifications at the time of the initial purchase. harley dealers are not like automobile dealers--they are not constantly running sales and marking things down. you should at least get a free tee shirt.
All said and done I got about 2k off my Heritage 2 months ago. You can negotiate for anything pretty much.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Mr.Bluster
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No matter what you do, buy your Harley bone stock. They'll give you great coupons worth 15% or even 20% off. Use those to buy windshield, bags, engine guards, etc.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:17 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the OP lists his location as germany...how about somebody weighing in from over there? i doubt if there is a dealer on every corner like there is in the states. fewer dealers would mean fewer discounts.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:39 PM
FB1DE
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
the OP lists his location as germany...how about somebody weighing in from over there? i doubt if there is a dealer on every corner like there is in the states. fewer dealers would mean fewer discounts.
Good point. Indeed the density of HD dealer in Germany is probably a lot less than in the US, but yet enough to get some competition going on.

So perhaps some of the negotiation strategies posted here may apply in Germany as well.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:40 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I got a T-shirt and a helmet...that I don't wear.

Quick Reply: Dealer discounts on new Harley?