General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 octane out west?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Jambo
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 91 octane out west?

[IMG]local://upfiles/25278/69836BE7DACE4B4D9FE890963E4593E4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-16-2007, 03:23 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Where's that, Vegas?

ORIGINAL: 87lowrider

Got a station down the block from me that has 97 & 101 octane

Old 03-16-2007, 03:24 PM
LRonHoover
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 87lowrider

Got a station down the block from me that has 97 & 101 octane
5 Bux a Gallon??

Old 03-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Bluerose

Even worse we tree huggers have to pay more for 91 then you do for 94! I can get 100 if I go to an "Alliance" gas station and buy "racing" gas for $7 a gallon.

As for being a rich state...I don't think so.In cost of living comparison I would probably be poorer then dirt.

California is broke because every Tree Hugger law drives another industry outof the state. Recent there was a huge exodus of businesses due to Workers Comp costs. The cost of housing, gas, and other items is driving the people out of state.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:34 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

And don't forget all the millions and millions that go to support the illegal aliens healthcare and education. [:@]

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

Even worse we tree huggers have to pay more for 91 then you do for 94! I can get 100 if I go to an "Alliance" gas station and buy "racing" gas for $7 a gallon.

As for being a rich state...I don't think so.In cost of living comparison I would probably be poorer then dirt.

California is broke because every Tree Hugger law drives another industry outof the state. Recent there was a huge exodus of businesses due to Workers Comp costs. The cost of housing, gas, and other items is driving the people out of state.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: petemac

And don't forget all the millions and millions that go to support the illegal aliens healthcare and education. [:@]

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

Oh yep that too..

BTW...Ido not discriminate. I don't care who you are or what country you are from. If you are going to immigrate, do it legally and at least make an attempt to learn the language. Land of the "Free" is starting to meanland of the "Free Loaders"....In California the worst problem happens to be from the south but they are not the only ones.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:28 PM
LTrain
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea why different octanes are available different places. But I do have a few comments.

Anywhere near me, Chicago, all gas is 10% ethanol.

When I rode through Missouri I often could only find 87 octane; when I did find higher octane, it was CHEAPER than the 87 (I was told the higher octanes had ethanol).

When I lived in Elkhart, IN there was a 76 gas station that sold "racing fuel." I forget if it was 101 or 104 octane. It was like double the cost. At that time I had a 1968 Oldsmobile Jestar with the 350 Rocket engine. I can tell you that the "racing fuel" made that car run like new! The signs on the pump said you were not allowed to put it into a car but had to only put it in a container because it was illegal on the street. I never got any guff from the cashier when I put it right in the car.

My Harley ran like shinola when I used the 87 in Missouri, and I always use the 93 or 94.

Some air craft fuel is something like 124 octane, but I wouldn't know where to get it except airports, and I bet they're pretty strict. I have no idea what octane that high would do to a car or bike. Anyone ever try it?

Old 03-16-2007, 05:33 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

I own a plane and all that's available at airports around here is 100LL(low lead) and Jet-A. Don't think I want to put either in my bike. But I sure love the smell of Jet-A burning in a nice turbine engine!

ORIGINAL: LTrain

I have no idea why different octanes are available different places. But I do have a few comments.

Anywhere near me, Chicago, all gas is 10% ethanol.

When I rode through Missouri I often could only find 87 octane; when I did find higher octane, it was CHEAPER than the 87 (I was told the higher octanes had ethanol).

When I lived in Elkhart, IN there was a 76 gas station that sold "racing fuel." I forget if it was 101 or 104 octane. It was like double the cost. At that time I had a 1968 Oldsmobile Jestar with the 350 Rocket engine. I can tell you that the "racing fuel" made that car run like new! The signs on the pump said you were not allowed to put it into a car but had to only put it in a container because it was illegal on the street. I never got any guff from the cashier when I put it right in the car.

My Harley ran like shinola when I used the 87 in Missouri, and I always use the 93 or 94.

Some air craft fuel is something like 124 octane, but I wouldn't know where to get it except airports, and I bet they're pretty strict. I have no idea what octane that high would do to a car or bike. Anyone ever try it?

Old 03-16-2007, 07:44 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jackj

I assume you have never spent much time or talked with persons from caluuuuiiiiforua, the state is werid, the people are werid, one of the richest states in the United States and their state gov't is always broke, it was so nice to hear that the Academy awards has gone "green" ....then 4 of them get on a jet a fly to Spain for a holiday or visit Gore in his mansion in TN, I'm surpraised you get still buy gas there.Love to ride though it, but never would ever consider living there, a bunch of tree huggers.
C'mon now. I have lived here all my life. Ain't never hugged no damn tree!![sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-16-2007, 08:52 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Octane requirements in engines decrease with altitude, anywhere from about 1.0 to 2.5 for every 1500 meters increase inaltitude. It is a nonlinear increase, too.

Quick Reply: 91 octane out west?