General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie on Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Gerard
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie on Tail of the Dragon

A few of my buddies and I are planning a BRP trip in May and some of us want to ride the Dragon. None of us have ridden it before so I could use some input from those who have. There will be a couple of newbie's in the group and I really don't want to put them in a situation that is uncomfortable.We will all stick together and don't want to get pushed or even *** ended by someone. What is the average speed on the Dragon and would slow riders actually be a danger to others?

Old 03-16-2007, 12:05 PM
v2in
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie on Tail of the Dragon

Don't be scared. I've ridden it many times and I find it to be more Hype than anything. Yes their is idiots up there but they're everywhere. Just use your common sense and enjoy yourself. The more you ride it, the more you'll enjoy it.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:10 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gerard if I'm not mistaken the speed limit on the dragon is 30 or 35 mph. If you can schedule your trip during the seek, not on the weekend when it is much more crowded. Keep to the right and watch your mirrors, most of the rr riders are pretty good about not blowing by you until thet're sure that you're aware of them and you wave them on by. I said "most". It's kinda neat to ride it just to say yo've done it but it's really just another crooked assed little mountain road with very little to see on yor way through it. On the other hand the Cherohala Skyway is a very scenic rideand can be quite challenging as well. There are some decreasing radius curves that can get you in big trouble if you enter too fast. Myself I just putt thru and enjoy the ride. There are lots of great roads to ride in the area, have fun. Staff0rd

Old 03-16-2007, 12:13 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Tail of the Dragon sounds like fun.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:15 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a post on here a while back where the THP has been given orders to patrol the Dragon and shut down the excessive speeders (crotch rockets and wannabe speed racers). I don't know how forgiving/unforgiving they'regoing to be (5 is fine, 9 you're mine), but the ones who are WAY over the limit, they are going to confiscate the bikes/cars. They will also be using bikes to patrol the Dragon. Best advice... single file and watch your speed. There's no curve there that is a problem at the speed limit. (yes... I've been there too)

Old 03-16-2007, 12:18 PM
recross
Tourer

tailofthedragon.com

Old 03-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Silverearl
Road Captain

Mine TCW is just to take it easy and enjoy it.. It is a blast and you can enjoy it.. It can be intimidating when you think about it but once you are on it, it is nothing more then a road. Do not ride past your limits..

ENJOY!!!

Old 03-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You've probably already been on a road similar to the Dragon, just not 11 miles of it in one stretch. I learned a lot about riding and about my RK the first time I rode it. My brain got tired from concentrating. I've ridden it 3 times now. I'll ride pretty much the entire strtch in second gear, makes it easy for me to get into a rythum and use the engine braking to control the speed.

Speed limit is 30 mph. Ride within your abilites, don't worry about being pushed and watch your mirrors for the sport bike guys. They can come up on you pretty quick. Just ease over to the right side of your lane and let them go on by. Lots of tips for riding the Dragon on their website. Don't worry about it, just go ride. You'll have a blast.

Edit- Be sure to ride highway 28 between Fontanna and Deals Gap, it's a great road.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:00 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ridden it since early 90s several times. The dragon is not a threat its just a country backroad with alot of tight curves, just ride slow and its no different from any other mountain road. That said the danger at the dragon comes from the idiots that go there to run it at unsafe speeds(mostly sport bikes) some of these guys have little regard for others and will zoom you in a curve or pass you at any time BEAWARE of who is coming at you and coming up behind and let them go by. If one ****'s you off, you can find him at the overlook or store depending on direction he is headed and beat the stew out of him. Just have backup they travel in packs up there. LOL

Old 03-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Rick 547
Tourer

Road it last fall and we had a newbie with us and she did just fine. The suggestions here are great. The only thing I could add is if the curves say 10 mph believe it. Find a gear that keeps yoou from luging the bike and get in a rythum.

Great Ride!

Quick Reply: Newbie on Tail of the Dragon