General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why must Harleys set so low

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013 | 06:06 AM
Wildon883R
|
Road Warrior
Default Why must Harleys set so low

There isn't one model I've ever sat on where my legs are even remotely extended at a stop and I'm only 6'1. My old rice burners sat much higher and rode way better. It just seems HD targets shorter people in there bike design. I even read a lot of posts where people want them even lower. Has anybody ever raised their suspension?

Old 12-21-2013 | 06:11 AM
08Nighttrain
Road Master

Well in this world things are designed for the average man. And since you are a bit taller than avg you will have that problem. I added forward control extensions to help stretch my legs out some. Most men being around 5'9" they would not be able to touch ground if bike was as low.

Old 12-21-2013 | 06:21 AM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member

Funny. I'm 5 10 and it has been a long time prior to my RK that I was on my toes, or at least the ***** of my feet.
I for one like the low setting of the frame. So much so I am putting progressive 944 to drop it another inch.

Old 12-21-2013 | 06:24 AM
Mickey D
Road Master

It's because on a Harley, one sits 'in' the bike. The old Jap bikes...you sat 'on' them.

Old 12-21-2013 | 07:58 AM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mickey D
It's because on a Harley, one sits 'in' the bike. The old Jap bikes...you sat 'on' them.
Hmm, that's funny, I find the exact opposite.

Old 12-21-2013 | 08:02 AM
LagunaGlide
Road Master

This question baffles me to be honest. We are talking about very different machines. A Harley is a cruising bike. It's low and comfortable. Sport bike, sport touring, touring, standard etc are designed for more aggressive riding, and sit higher to allow for steeper lean angles. None if it has a single thing to do with how tall the rider is. If you so desperately need to stand up and have straight legs then change bikes, because a cruiser is not for you.

Old 12-21-2013 | 08:04 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Unless you install an "adjustable" seat (e.g. cage front seats) there's only so much a designer can incorporate into bike ergonomics to hit the "average" Joe. I'd say HD, or any bike manufacturer, hits the 85-90% mark with their bike-to-rider sizing.

Old 12-21-2013 | 08:21 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

People do raise their suspension. I raised my bike for 2 reasons, keeping my feet close together is not one of them

Old 12-21-2013 | 08:28 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

When I first took a ride on a low cruiser type bike it was a Suzuki Intruder. I had a sport bike at the time. The low seat height and forward controls felt totally wrong to me. I eventually moved from sport bikes to jap cruisers then onto Harleys. My RK fits me like a glove, I love everything about it. Fast forward about 25 years since I first took that Intruder for a ride, A few years ago I bought some bikes just for the purpose of reselling them. One completely restored GPZ 750 and two non running GPZ 750's All for $1,000. Before putting them up for sale I rode the restored one around for about an hour. I was actually laughing to myself. I couldn't believe I used to think that was a good "riding position". One hour and I couldn't wait to get off the thing.

But that's just me. I also know of a group of guys in their late 60's and early 70's who show up at a restaurant in Ringoes NJ who still ride sport bikes.

Old 12-21-2013 | 08:30 AM
kingomtn
Road Captain

op seems to contradict my experience.
I don't know how many bikes you have 'sat' on. I see you ride a sporty that is a small bike for someone over 6', ever think about stepping up (contrary to your sig line)?
A friend whom is about 5'9" has to tippy toe his uc around, while I, at 6'o2" can pretty much flat-foot it and my rk. It's a little lower now I have a corbin seat. My biggest concern is foot position when riding, the corbin helped as did removing the heal shift arm (that I'd like back). I'll be investigating forward controls and/or extended foot/floor boards.

Quick Reply: Why must Harleys set so low