General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why must Harleys set so low

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013 | 12:47 PM
EP50
Outstanding HDF Member

Beats me.

Old 12-21-2013 | 01:12 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
There isn't one model I've ever sat on where my legs are even remotely extended at a stop and I'm only 6'1. My old rice burners sat much higher and rode way better. It just seems HD targets shorter people in there bike design. I even read a lot of posts where people want them even lower. Has anybody ever raised their suspension?
I'm 6' and I have sat on and also ridden an 883. Of all the Harleys that I have sat on, it was the most uncomfortable bike for me. I felt like a big jockey on a small race horse. It was great at taking the corners and I didn't have any issue taking them faster than recommended but I just didn't like the feeling of my legs being tucked under me. When I went back to riding my Springer, there was a world of difference in how I sat and how much more comfy my legs felt while riding and also while stopped. I have also sat on other Harleys that felt more comfy than that 883. I might suggest that since you are 6'1 and ride an 883 maybe that might be the problem right there. Since one of the things about riding is comfort and you aren't comfortable on what you have, maybe you should try a different model or go back to riding rice burners so you will enjoy the ride more.

Old 12-21-2013 | 01:23 PM
Irish883
Road Captain

You're comparing apples and oranges. The height on sports bikes has nothing to do with rider height and has everything to do with cornering and high speed geometry. You are comparing that to a bike that is traditional designed to cruise on and simply "look cool"?

On that note, not everyone goes that route. In the Dyna and Sportster segments there are plenty of people that increase ride height for the sake of performance. I don't have the cheddar at the moment, but once I do I'm going for 13-13.5" shocks in the rear to increase my height and give me more cornering clearance. Then again, 90% of the stuff I've done to my bike has been grounded in performance and my suspension changes will be no different.

Anyway, the point is, you can't compare the geometry of a sports bike to a Harley and complain that a Harley doesn't sit more like a sports bike. Two different bikes for two different worlds and if you want sports bike height and geometry, well, get a sports bike.

Old 12-21-2013 | 01:46 PM
ghira75
Road Warrior

because of weight. A Harley is easily 250lbs heavier than a rice rocket. A Touring Harley 400lbs heavier than a rocket.
Among many other reasons, having a low center of gravity makes it possible to handle these bikes at low/walking speed or whilst standing. You can tilt them a bit right and left and still be able to hold them up. If the weight/center of gravity was 4/5 inches higher like in a sport bike,you'd have no chance being able to tilt the bike slightly sideways, no matter how tall you are or how often you go to the gym.

Old 12-21-2013 | 01:48 PM
ghira75
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Irish883
You're comparing apples and oranges. The height on sports bikes has nothing to do with rider height and has everything to do with cornering and high speed geometry. You are comparing that to a bike that is traditional designed to cruise on and simply "look cool"?

On that note, not everyone goes that route. In the Dyna and Sportster segments there are plenty of people that increase ride height for the sake of performance. I don't have the cheddar at the moment, but once I do I'm going for 13-13.5" shocks in the rear to increase my height and give me more cornering clearance. Then again, 90% of the stuff I've done to my bike has been grounded in performance and my suspension changes will be no different.

Anyway, the point is, you can't compare the geometry of a sports bike to a Harley and complain that a Harley doesn't sit more like a sports bike. Two different bikes for two different worlds and if you want sports bike height and geometry, well, get a sports bike.
like a guy on a F150 complaining why a Ferrari is so low.. two machines for two very different jobs

Old 12-21-2013 | 03:28 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ghira75
like a guy on a F150 complaining why a Ferrari is so low.. two machines for two very different jobs
Ghira 75 is your tire flat in that picture . Or are you trying to show us another way to lower it .

Old 12-21-2013 | 04:14 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
There isn't one model I've ever sat on where my legs are even remotely extended at a stop and I'm only 6'1. My old rice burners sat much higher and rode way better. It just seems HD targets shorter people in there bike design. I even read a lot of posts where people want them even lower. Has anybody ever raised their suspension?

I have.

Old 12-21-2013 | 04:36 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Riders Club Member

You all missed it , some tool in the past made slammed low the next " must have " in thing and the factory copied it to sell more bikes to the clueless masses and you have to admit it keep the parts boys busy supplying new chrome to replace all that scratched up stuff

Old 12-21-2013 | 04:46 PM
FLHTom1948
Cruiser

Well, if you want your legs more expended at a stop, you can do 2 things: taller (larger dia. tires), and change the suspension (longer shocks, longer front forks or more preload on the springs). Hope this helps

Old 12-21-2013 | 04:49 PM
FLHTom1948
Cruiser

Absolutely agree...

Quick Reply: Why must Harleys set so low