General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why must Harleys set so low

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013 | 09:31 AM
boro
Tourer

There are lots of threads on raising bikes on a sportster forum. Most will raise it to get better clearance and cornering. The r should have been taller stock. Sportster shocks can be purchased up to 13.5 inches. Add Intiminators to the front and you have a real fun bike.

Old 12-21-2013 | 09:32 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member

I would think it also has something to do with the weight of the bikes, I mean who would want to attempt to maneuver an 800 lbs around on their toes or to make it worst on a loose gravel road. I personally like the look of the bikes being low..

Old 12-21-2013 | 09:33 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

For a 6'1" guy...you got a small bike with that sporty 883. Woulda picked a larger bike rather than look like a giraffe riding a mini bike.

I'm 6'4" 'n change...was comfy on my prior FXD frame, and I'm comfy on my current FLH frame...I just gotta move forward controls forward a tad. Kinda like when you get a car...you move the seat 'n steering wheel til it fits you right? But you start with a larger car in the first place if you're big.

Odd compliant about how your feet are easily touching though....I like how I can just drop my legs a bit and sit at a light with my legs relaxed...I don't desire the need to "stand" at a light.

It's a cruiser bike....if you don't like how a cruiser rides...then...uhm...don't get a cruiser.

Old 12-21-2013 | 10:28 AM
NooneOfConsequence
Cruiser

I think from the responses in this thread it's pretty obvious why they sit so low, that's the way people like em'.

I'm right there with you in height at 6'0 so I feel your pain. Myself, I HATE a super low bike. The sacrifices in lean angle and suspension travel that have to be made in the name of an idiotically low seat height just absolutely ruin the ride for me. The very best thing I ever did to my Sportster when I had it (which I found to be very comfy btw, and not at all "too small") was to raise it 2.5" with a set of shocks (in conjunction with the longer front forks the "C" models had on them to start w/). The improvement in ride, responsiveness, handling and cornering clearance was DRAMATIC to say the least. It showed me how good the Sportster could really be if it wasn't hampered by the ridiculously short shocks and stubby forks the MoCo currently slaps on there. But, I'm clearly in the minority so what do they care.

Old 12-21-2013 | 10:35 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Cool

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Funny. I'm 5 10 and it has been a long time prior to my RK that I was on my toes, or at least the ***** of my feet.
I for one like the low setting of the frame. So much so I am putting progressive 944 to drop it another inch.
That`s what I like about my `05 CVO Fatboy, nice and low.

Old 12-21-2013 | 10:44 AM
ColoFXDC
Tourer

Originally Posted by upflying
You can buy a tall Harley Davidson.

Where can I buy this bike!!! I'd gladly rid my POS Honda XR650L for one!

Old 12-21-2013 | 11:09 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ib5150
I would think it also has something to do with the weight of the bikes, I mean who would want to attempt to maneuver an 800 lbs around on their toes or to make it worst on a loose gravel road. I personally like the look of the bikes being low..

+1. My RK sits pretty tall compared to others. When new, I couldn't flat foot both feet at the same time.

And it's the first bike I've ever owned that I get real nervous on when riding on anything but pavement. Not a fun feeling when on your toes and your feet start slipping due to sand or gravel.

Old 12-21-2013 | 12:08 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member

I got to laugh , In most all cases were talking about no more then 2" up or down to worry about the looks of the bike. And most guys wouldn't even notice the diffrerence on a bike going do the road or even parked that it's been done. But it's all in the ride. Do you what to DRAG your bags or do you want comfort.

Old 12-21-2013 | 12:38 PM
ALUCARD19
Road Master

To original OP go buy a Kawasaki Concours they sit really high then YOU can be HAPPY leave the cruisers to the rest of us nice and low and comfy.

Old 12-21-2013 | 12:44 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Harley's are low for styling reasons and tradition, also to allow them to more easily be parked and maneuvered around parking lots and such. Novice bicycle and motorcycle riders alike are much more comfortable being able to have both feet on the ground at the same time. As Harley makes their motorcycles increasingly heavier even experienced riders who have become older and weaker appreciate being able to flatfoot both feet.
Unfortunately in order to accommodate low seats (under 30") suspension is compromised so ride suffers and it's just about impossible to have a normal riding position with your feet under your butt or thighs AND cornering clearance.
Personally I would prefer to tippy toe when stopped in order to have a nice suspension and riding position when riding. But a lot (probably most) traditional Harley riders don't feel this way. Harley has somewhat tried to offer taller motorcycles with better suspensions (Buell, XR1200) but they fail on the sales floor.

Last edited by Ridewva; 12-21-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Why must Harleys set so low