General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why must Harleys set so low

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013 | 08:31 AM
slozomby
Road Master

can you put both feet on the ground. then the seat height is fine.

even though the seat height on a gsxr-1k is higher im still all kinds of cramped trying to ride one at 6'2.

if i need to stretch my legs at a stop light on my fatbob i just stand up.

Old 12-21-2013 | 08:36 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
There isn't one model I've ever sat on where my legs are even remotely extended at a stop and I'm only 6'1. My old rice burners sat much higher and rode way better. It just seems HD targets shorter people in there bike design. I even read a lot of posts where people want them even lower. Has anybody ever raised their suspension?
That was My first mod to my 2004 1200 C sportster . I add 1 3/4" of travel to the rear and set them soft. The bike rarely bottoms out. Then I also removed the seat skin and added 1" of softer foam . Now I can ride it all day / 400 Miles + and not have to take 3 Aleve's or Motrin before I start my trips !

Old 12-21-2013 | 08:40 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member

The previous owner of my '03 Ultra lowered the bike before I bought it. I really didn't like it. I'm 6'5 and my knees were bent awkwardly when I was stopped at a light. It felt like my *** was lower then my knees. And I couldn't see any reason to drag the boards at every turn. It really hurt handling in sharp turns, and some that weren't so sharp. Once any part of your bike make contact with the ground, you've hit your lean limit. Your not going to lean over any further. If your on a road your not familiar with and need to lean a bit more, it could be trouble.,,

Old 12-21-2013 | 08:44 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by 08Nighttrain
Well in this world things are designed for the average man. And since you are a bit taller than avg you will have that problem. I added forward control extensions to help stretch my legs out some. Most men being around 5'9" they would not be able to touch ground if bike was as low.
Yup your not average height. Many complaints to the MoCo about short reaches especially from the growing demographics (women). In reading your caption about Touring models and SUVs it appears obvious youve not test riden a Touring model. If you would have you would see and feel why many go to them. Although going to a tourer is a progression and Im not sure where you are in your motorcycle journey, the eventuality is there for you. A Touring model would have served you better and doubt you would have objection about reach.

Last edited by TUCCI; 12-21-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-21-2013 | 08:47 AM
bulkman2008
Tourer

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Funny. I'm 5 10 and it has been a long time prior to my RK that I was on my toes, or at least the ***** of my feet.
I for one like the low setting of the frame. So much so I am putting progressive 944 to drop it another inch.
What he said .

Old 12-21-2013 | 08:52 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

If I could lower mine, keep the same easy ride and not spend $1,000 doing it, I would. I hate that gap between the tire and finder, which is what I liked about my old rigid frame. It was just too rough riding.

Old 12-21-2013 | 08:56 AM
st john
Road Master

Well I would like to summerize it for everyone, it is like this. If you are tall or short, If you ride a metric or a Harley it all comes down to making it your ride. Remember what works for you is the only thing that counts and what makes Motorcycles so great is the ability to do just that. Go ahead, modify it, change it, but do it for you not me.

Old 12-21-2013 | 09:07 AM
ringofld
Tourer

Seems like a strange complaint to me.
I don't see my feet reaching the ground as a big problem.
??????

Old 12-21-2013 | 09:22 AM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ringofld
Seems like a strange complaint to me.
I don't see my feet reaching the ground as a big problem.
??????
Apparently, when you have no life,lot's of things are "problems".

Old 12-21-2013 | 09:24 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

You can buy a tall Harley Davidson.

Quick Reply: Why must Harleys set so low