General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you rather have?
No state mandatory helmet laws but no legal lane-splitting?
40.57%
or, Legal to split-lanes, but mandatory helmet law!
59.43%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Would you rather split lanes or NOT wear a helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 06:07 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Neither, I've dealt with too many dead riders from both.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:51 PM
Jakefitz
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After my bike crash that resulted in a life flight but no permanent brain injuries, I wear a helmet religiously. Not sure that I'd actually do it, but I vote for lane splitting.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:55 PM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As a Cal drive we used to have both but now it is a big woody in heavy traffic to pass a cop and never look back just look for next cop to pass.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:58 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

I vote 'no'.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:24 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

If lane splitting was legal across all the states, cagers would get used to motorcycles splitting lanes. If the laws were changed to allow lane splitting (we could only hope), I'd expect the state DOT to release some educational PSA's explaining everyone's responsibilities. It would work if all the motor cops would routinely split lanes in heavy traffic.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:47 AM
Rick's Ultra
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
There is no legal description that can change the long established laws on passing to write a legal lane splitting law.

Lane splitting is permitted but not legal in Calif. The overwhelming percentage of roads in the US are not in need of lane splitting. It's use is for bumper to bumper traffic conditions where they can not reach highway speeds.

The lane belongs to the vehicle occupying it. Pass on the right when it is a passing zone. When the car is signaling a left turn and there is sufficient paved roadway on the right to get around without going onto the unimproved area.

Besides, in California the written guidelines for lane splitting are not followed by the huge majority of lane splitter's.

It is a total pipe dream to think that it will gain any traction in other states. It is dangerous and stupid.

Only arrogant self centered immature and irresponsible riders do it.

The idea that the HD bike will overheat is ludicrous. HD tests its motors in the Arizona desert at the Chrysler Proving Grounds by letting them idle for 24 hours. No test has failed by the engine "overheating".

It is the wuss on the bike that can't take it. They should get a car with AC.

It is easy to talk the talk if you have not walked the walk. Come on out and see how the other half lives. Nothing self centered or immature about it, splitting lanes is legal here in Calif. I wear a full face and split lanes on an ultra every day. The only time I have issues is usually from morons with out of state plates trying to be a LEO. I really love splitting behind a CHP motorcycle cop and having one of these out of state knuckle heads try and pinch a CHP. Over to the side of the road they go and out comes the ticket book!

Enjoy your time sitting in traffic, might as well be in your cage!

Old 01-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Lame poll....it's like asking whether you'd rather screw fat chicks or skinny ones.
Me, I've done both and have never been disappointed either way.
Same thing goes for splitting lanes and helmets.
Sorry, no vote from me.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Irish883
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Legal lane splitting. I already live in a no helmet state and I still wear one 100% of the time and wouldn't stop for anything. Had my life saved twice by helmets and that was enough to make a believer out of me.

My only issue with suddenly making lane splitting legal are the countless morons in cars that wouldn't know, or would know and would still choose to be angry about it and try to pinch you. It works in California because it has been a thing for so long and the locals understand it. Here in Texas I have had people try to take me out just for the simple fact that I can fit places they can't, let alone full on lane splitting.

Still, I do think it should be legal and I believe that once the population had a chance to adjust and learn, it would significantly lessen motorcycle crashes and deaths in heavy traffic.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rick's Ultra
It is easy to talk the talk if you have not walked the walk. Come on out and see how the other half lives. Nothing self centered or immature about it, splitting lanes is legal here in Calif. I wear a full face and split lanes on an ultra every day. The only time I have issues is usually from morons with out of state plates trying to be a LEO. I really love splitting behind a CHP motorcycle cop and having one of these out of state knuckle heads try and pinch a CHP. Over to the side of the road they go and out comes the ticket book!

Enjoy your time sitting in traffic, might as well be in your cage!
WELL SAID:icon_hype r:

Old 01-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member

Cal has signage all along the Instate, Freeway & Highway share the road with motorcycles. The drivers in Cal are trained to comply with the laws??

Quick Reply: Would you rather split lanes or NOT wear a helmet?