General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you rather have?
No state mandatory helmet laws but no legal lane-splitting?
40.57%
or, Legal to split-lanes, but mandatory helmet law!
59.43%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Would you rather split lanes or NOT wear a helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 10:45 PM
Redsauce
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
No helmet...but I'd still wear one.

The thing I have against lane splitting is...and there's no way I'll ever do it...are they going to stop when they sideswipe a car?
Please. I am begging you to please explain the reasoning behind this. You have said this on every lane-splitting discussion and it just doesn't make any sense to me. What you are saying, and PLEASE, correct me if I am wrong, is that a motorcyclist who decides to lane-split in backed up traffic, is going to somehow, just all of a sudden lean left or right and side-swipe a car?! Really? Honestly, that is really no different than saying a biker can't ride in a parking lot because they won't stop if they side-swipe a car.

No highjacking. It's really not a big deal to wear a helmet once you get used to wearing one. Ohio doesn't have a helmet law and I never wore one when I rode then. Since living in Cali, I'm not sure if I will ever ride now without wearing one. So, I vote lane-splitting.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:01 PM
Redsauce
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
There is no legal description that can change the long established laws on passing to write a legal lane splitting law.

Lane splitting is permitted but not legal in Calif. The overwhelming percentage of roads in the US are not in need of lane splitting. It's use is for bumper to bumper traffic conditions where they can not reach highway speeds.

The lane belongs to the vehicle occupying it. Pass on the right when it is a passing zone. When the car is signaling a left turn and there is sufficient paved roadway on the right to get around without going onto the unimproved area.

Besides, in California the written guidelines for lane splitting are not followed by the huge majority of lane splitter's.

It is a total pipe dream to think that it will gain any traction in other states. It is dangerous and stupid.

Only arrogant self centered immature and irresponsible riders do it.

The idea that the HD bike will overheat is ludicrous. HD tests its motors in the Arizona desert at the Chrysler Proving Grounds by letting them idle for 24 hours. No test has failed by the engine "overheating".

It is the wuss on the bike that can't take it. They should get a car with AC.
You sir, have no clue as to what you are talking about when it comes to lane-splitting. I think it is safe to say that it has something to with the fact that YOU LIVE IN A STATE THAT DOESN'T ALLOW IT! Man, talk about your "wussies"...

Old 12-17-2014, 07:24 AM
chrisj49
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

There is no legal description that can change the long established laws on passing to write a legal lane splitting law.

Lane splitting is permitted but not legal in Calif. The overwhelming percentage of roads in the US are not in need of lane splitting. It's use is for bumper to bumper traffic conditions where they can not reach highway speeds.

The lane belongs to the vehicle occupying it. Pass on the right when it is a passing zone. When the car is signaling a left turn and there is sufficient paved roadway on the right to get around without going onto the unimproved area.

Besides, in California the written guidelines for lane splitting are not followed by the huge majority of lane splitter's.

It is a total pipe dream to think that it will gain any traction in other states. It is dangerous and stupid.

The idea that the HD bike will overheat is ludicrous. HD tests its motors in the Arizona desert at the Chrysler Proving Grounds by letting them idle for 24 hours. No test has failed by the engine "overheating".

Lane splitting is legal. There is legal and illegal. Please describe the vehicle code that defines "permitted" actions on the road.

"The lane belongs to the vehicle occupying it. " - this is not true in California. You do not own the lane you are driving in. You will be cited if you move to impede the path of the lane splitter, who has the same right to use the lane that you do.

"When the car is signaling a left turn and there is sufficient paved roadway on the right to get around without going onto the unimproved area." - how would this not be lane splitting? The same rule that allows this, which by the way is called out in the CVC, is the rule that allows sharing of the lane. The law says the lane is not restricted to a single vehicle. That's it.

"Besides, in California the written guidelines for lane splitting are not followed by the huge majority of lane splitter's. " - no, there are not written guidelines. The CHP posted some guidelines that had no legal basis, and they were forced to remove them.

"The idea that the HD bike will overheat is ludicrous." - then why do the bikes have a shutdown mode for the rear cylinder?

Old 12-17-2014, 08:45 AM
silent1
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jakenok
Lane splitting & no helmet, and legal weed........
I'll keep my helmet, but the other two options sound nice. I lane split all time when traffic gets heavy. I've gotten yelled at a few times by cops, but no tickets yet.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:55 AM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

we lane split but have to wear a lid never had the option not to wear one so it dosnt bother me...

Old 12-17-2014, 08:59 AM
Longhair4life
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Here in Cali traffic. I will take split lanes any day!!!

Old 12-17-2014, 09:17 AM
T.W.Dustin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always wear a half helmet and would doubtfully split lanes unless it was a very short distance to exit a jammed freeway.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:39 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I've said this before but............. You're a dumba$$ !!!

Originally Posted by chrisj49
Lane splitting is legal. There is legal and illegal. Please describe the vehicle code that defines "permitted" actions on the road.

"The lane belongs to the vehicle occupying it. " - this is not true in California. You do not own the lane you are driving in. You will be cited if you move to impede the path of the lane splitter, who has the same right to use the lane that you do.

"When the car is signaling a left turn and there is sufficient paved roadway on the right to get around without going onto the unimproved area." - how would this not be lane splitting? The same rule that allows this, which by the way is called out in the CVC, is the rule that allows sharing of the lane. The law says the lane is not restricted to a single vehicle. That's it.

"Besides, in California the written guidelines for lane splitting are not followed by the huge majority of lane splitter's. " - no, there are not written guidelines. The CHP posted some guidelines that had no legal basis, and they were forced to remove them.

"The idea that the HD bike will overheat is ludicrous." - then why do the bikes have a shutdown mode for the rear cylinder?
Thank you for this well written rebuttal.

I live in Illinois which is one of the very few states that has no form of helmet law. I'd like to keep it that way.

I lived in Cali while in the Navy and really like the fact that I could split lanes when necessary.

If it were legal in all 50, it wouldn't take long for the cagers to get accustomed to the practice.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:02 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

The traffic is so light in our area VS other areas I see no need to Split lanes.

Even if we could split lanes the By-Pass is our only true Two-Lane (each side) road we have and its only 7 miles long with 20 stop lights.
Its also barely wide enough for trucks when they are side by side so no way would try to ride between them..

Old 12-17-2014, 10:16 AM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Neither for me. I rather wear a helmet and not commit suicide while riding.

Quick Reply: Would you rather split lanes or NOT wear a helmet?