General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear coat for aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013 | 08:36 PM
kirbyblue
Tourer

I need to polish my primary. What is best to use? I bought some of the polish they sell at car shows, bike week and world of wheels. It will take a year for that to work

Old 12-19-2013 | 09:04 PM
Sport Chrome
Former Sponsor

I would say if you want to undertake the task of properly polishing your own parts, you will need to spend a bit of time and a few bucks to set yourself up properly. Otherwise it's just not worth the time and headache to do it on your own. But if you're in need of a new hobby and have a few bucks to burn I can point you in the direction of setting yourself up even on a small budget.

Originally Posted by kirbyblue
I need to polish my primary. What is best to use? I bought some of the polish they sell at car shows, bike week and world of wheels. It will take a year for that to work

Old 12-19-2013 | 09:40 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sport Chrome
...I can point you in the direction of setting yourself up even on a small budget.
Well let's hear it.

Old 12-19-2013 | 10:02 PM
Sport Chrome
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Well let's hear it.
Big budget.

Stand alone polishing lathe and a trip through the Eastwood catalog.

Little budget.

Harbor freight has everything you need to polish and you can get a cheap bench mounted buffer and be done inside a couple hundred bucks max. Good enough for a home workshop setup.

youtube has tons of tutorials, some are actually good.

Old 12-19-2013 | 10:36 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

That's the big inside information: "Shop at HF" ?

Old 12-19-2013 | 11:17 PM
Sport Chrome
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lo-rider
That's the big inside information: "Shop at HF" ?
I offered to point him in the right direction. apparently I need to sharpen my pointer.

Old 12-20-2013 | 06:12 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

You learn how to polish aluminum and keep it that way, amazingly it is much easier to maintain then chrome, powdercoat or paint. The best thing is if it gets a little off color it is very easy to renew, nothing like the other three. Metal polish is personal preference mine is AutoSol.

Old 12-20-2013 | 07:42 AM
Big Blue Electra
|
Tourer
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
What aluminum on your bike are you wanting to clear coat?

The factory clear coat on the fork lowers is what gives them the grayish appearance, which is why I stripped the clear coat off and polished. If you polish aluminum smooth & use a good metal polish, such as Blue Magic, then follow it up with a good carnauba based wax job, your aluminum will stay perfect with minimal maintenance and cleaning & stuff will just wipe right off.

It's actually easier to keep my fork lowers looking nice now that they are bare polished aluminum then it was from the factory with the clear coat....and it looks 100 times better. Nothing looks better than polished aluminum, not even chrome, and if you do it right it's not that difficult to maintain it. Another good thing about it is that if you do get a blemish, such as a rock chip, you can polish it right out as opposed to having something clear coated...once it's chipped, it's chipped.

Just my $.02
Hey thanks for your .02 cents , that is actually what I'm doing the lowers on the forks . They weren't pitted bad , but just enough to notice , got one done and it does look great . I used mothers metal and wheel polish ! Think I'll try not clearing for a season and just keep them polished ! Thanks for all the input !

Old 12-20-2013 | 08:07 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Big Blue Electra
Hey thanks for your .02 cents , that is actually what I'm doing the lowers on the forks . They weren't pitted bad , but just enough to notice , got one done and it does look great . I used mothers metal and wheel polish ! Think I'll try not clearing for a season and just keep them polished ! Thanks for all the input !
No problem! I suggest once you get them to the shine you want, wax them with a good wax....I recommend either Meguiar's Carnauba+ Wax, or Mother's carnauba wax. A good coat of real wax will keep the grime off and make them easier to keep looking good & much easier to wash 7 clean. If they do start to not look perfect, just polish and wax them again. It's easy and quick and keeps them looking great.

IMO, if you do this you'll be amazed how easy they are to take care of and keep looking good. Again, the great thing about it as compared to chrome, power coat, paint, clear, etc. is that is you do get a blemish, you can polish it right out. Just don't let it go to the point you get pitting. A little quick maintenance goes a long way. I wish all my chrome was aluminum..

Another great polish is Blue Magic metal polish. It contains ammonia which is great for cleaning and polishing & it also contains Silicone, which helps seal the metal. Just another product to consider that's I've had good results with. The Mother's metal polish & mag & aluminum polish works well too, I just prefer the Blue Magic once I tried it.

Last edited by Sharkman73; 12-20-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-20-2013 | 08:56 PM
SDozier
Tourer

Okay, I am hearing that you can use a metal polish to take the clear coat off the front lowers and polish the forks on a fatboy? I have a 2008 and would like to get the lowers polished or chromed. Metal polish can get this to being shiny like chrome?

SUP

Quick Reply: Clear coat for aluminum