General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD dealers in winter cold weather locations vs warm weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013 | 10:14 AM
streeteagle
|
Club Member
Default HD dealers in winter cold weather locations vs warm weather

Hd dealers in cold, snowy weather locations I think would tend to charge more for services, etc. Don't know if they do or not, just kind of wondering.
A dealer in Boston can't being doing much business during the winter months compared to the dealer in Daytona Beach. Overhead like tech salaries, sales people salaries, utilities, etc. does'nt stop during the winter months.
Your thoughts?

Old 12-17-2013 | 10:57 AM
pdfiddler
Tourer

I know the dealers in the northwest sell ATV'S, snowmobiles and such.

Old 12-17-2013 | 11:01 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member

i would think that they would be doing work at break even cost just to keep people busy...but we are talking about harley dealers--so never expect a break. wonder what old "deluxe" chuck is doing this time of year in wyoming?

Old 12-17-2013 | 11:06 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

The dealers here offer discounts on services and performance upgrades this time of year just keep their techs eating.

Old 12-17-2013 | 11:08 AM
jsvt184
Tourer

Actually I've seen some pretty good cost savings when winter work is performed. I bought a SE comp a couple of winters ago and just for S&Gs I asked what they would charge to put it in. The quoted $100. It's their slow time and they want to keep emploiyees busy. The dealer runs some upgrade specials in the winter.

Old 12-17-2013 | 12:21 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

Most of the shops around my region stay pretty busy doing engine mods and such - best time to do them is in the winter so you don't lose riding time.
Sales can get to be slim during January through March because few are thinking about riding. Good time to buy.

Old 12-17-2013 | 12:40 PM
HD-MC
Tourer

I know up here in Canada they offer deals when you get work done during winter even some cash back gift card if you spend a certain amount or free storage depending on how much your spending.

Old 12-17-2013 | 02:32 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

Summer = everyone bringing in a broken something that they want fixed yesterday. At some places techs working about as many hours as they want.
Winter = everyone bring in their bike for upgrades and routine service and they don't care if it takes a month or more. For the employees their hours cut to 35 or max 40, possibly some people getting laid off for a month or so. Lots of places have cheaper labor rates during the winter and they run various service "specials" to drum up business and keep employees working.

I'm in NE Ohio and there are about 6 or 8 dealers within a hour or so of me and they all operate basically the same.

Old 12-17-2013 | 02:32 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

My dealer offers much better deals in the winter months than during "riding season". January or February is the best time to get any service work done, or get anything done to your bike.
I had cams, exhaust & dyno tune done on my bike end of last winter. They offered to come and get it and bring it home to me free of charge(125 mile round trip). They also gave me huge discount on labor to the point the labor for doing the cams & installing the exhaust was basically free. Still had to pay for the dyno time, but at a much discounted rate.

Old 12-17-2013 | 05:12 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Chicago area dealers don't charge any more or less. Only advantage is you can get serviced faster in winter. Also, some dealers offer free storage if you purchase over a certain dollar amount on dealer installed accessories or motor work.

Quick Reply: HD dealers in winter cold weather locations vs warm weather