General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD dealers in winter cold weather locations vs warm weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013 | 06:09 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

My dealer has the lowest labor rate of any HD dealer and many independents at $55/hr. When I got my 14 last month they already had over 30 customer bikes in the warehouse for services and installs of at least $1K/bike including storage along with about 200 stored for the winter for $150 per bike.

They sell many bikes each week. They held a Toys for Tots event last week. If you brought in a $10 toy you got a chit for 25% off of parts, accessories and the other stuff. The place was packed during the two day event. The only difference is the lot is full of cars not bikes. The cash registers just keep on ringing.

Very little impact of bike sales. Buy one in the winter and get free storage on a tender and under cover until spring. I got an even $2K of msrp on my 14 RK. The three 13's left were $3K off.

Last edited by lh4x4; 12-17-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2013 | 06:20 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by streeteagle
Hd dealers in cold, snowy weather locations I think would tend to charge more for services, etc. Don't know if they do or not, just kind of wondering.
A dealer in Boston can't being doing much business during the winter months compared to the dealer in Daytona Beach. Overhead like tech salaries, sales people salaries, utilities, etc. does'nt stop during the winter months.
Your thoughts?
Sometimes they lay off the techs for a couple of months

Old 12-17-2013 | 06:59 PM
streeteagle
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
My dealer has the lowest labor rate of any HD dealer and many independents at $55/hr. When I got my 14 last month they already had over 30 customer bikes in the warehouse for services and installs of at least $1K/bike including storage along with about 200 stored for the winter for $150 per bike.

They sell many bikes each week. They held a Toys for Tots event last week. If you brought in a $10 toy you got a chit for 25% off of parts, accessories and the other stuff. The place was packed during the two day event. The only difference is the lot is full of cars not bikes. The cash registers just keep on ringing.

Very little impact of bike sales. Buy one in the winter and get free storage on a tender and under cover until spring. I got an even $2K of msrp on my 14 RK. The three 13's left were $3K off.
Sounds like you have a "dream" dealer. Be hard to beat the labor rate or storage fee.

Old 12-17-2013 | 10:08 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

The local dealer here wouldn't give you a discount on a cup of tap water.

Old 12-17-2013 | 10:46 PM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member

My local dealers shut down for a weak as the factory for Xmass. Sales is a little slow when frost hits the ground butt the riding goes on in the winter months. Price stay the same flow of bike in and out of the shop and the parking lot about same, weak ends have heavy traffic of bikes.

Old 12-17-2013 | 10:49 PM
triumph900
Road Captain

A few dealers around here run service rate specials during the winter months.

Old 12-17-2013 | 11:24 PM
ColoFXDC
Tourer

Originally Posted by streeteagle
Hd dealers in cold, snowy weather locations I think would tend to charge more for services, etc. Don't know if they do or not, just kind of wondering.
A dealer in Boston can't being doing much business during the winter months compared to the dealer in Daytona Beach. Overhead like tech salaries, sales people salaries, utilities, etc. does'nt stop during the winter months.
Your thoughts?
Techs and sales people are paid on commission. It costs the stealer nothing to have them their all day.

If anybody is losing, it's the techs and sales people. No bikes coming in = no money for techs. No victims coming in to look at a bike = no money for sales people.

Old 12-18-2013 | 12:46 AM
B_nichols
Cruiser

Our dealer does a lay off on Oct 1st every year. But their prices seems a little lower in the winter and they offer to come pick your bike up in their enclosed trailer if you want something done and the roads are just too bad to get the bike there.

Old 12-18-2013 | 08:32 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4

I see you live in Illinois like I do & sounds like a lot of similar incentives that my dealer has.
What dealer are you talking about?

Old 12-18-2013 | 09:22 AM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member

My local dealer offers nice discounts on labor and often parts too during the winter months. After New Year, they start getting pretty busy. I always get any work I'm looking to get done completed right after Thanksgiving. Always seem to get pretty good deals at that time and are usually pretty slow.

Quick Reply: HD dealers in winter cold weather locations vs warm weather