General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013 | 07:57 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
From: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.

I use Simple Green in a pump sprayer, get in around all the nooks and crannies. Let it sit a minute, rinse, then blow dry with electric leaf blower. Once it's dry some wax on the tins and chrome polish on what little chrome I have.

Old 12-18-2013 | 08:31 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member

Ditto on many of the above BUT I have 1 favorite product.. S100 engine brightener puts the BLACK back in the engine..

Old 12-18-2013 | 09:04 AM
scasey
Road Master

Originally Posted by oct1949
here's a link of a lot of products with reviews to them, its the best see all in ONE page that I've found over the years to help pick what to use/ where on your bike.

enjoy.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-cleaning-polish/

Good link should be a sticky in the detail section if it already isn't there

Old 12-18-2013 | 10:07 AM
Swizzlestick
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Trickasabrick
Look down under the thread list when you enter the forum. There is a setting to display threads from different dates all the way back to the beginning.
Ahhh....got it. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2013 | 09:43 PM
beastie
Cruiser

I wash using a bucket and car wash soap, dry with a leafblower and followed by a microfiber towel and use Klasse All In One and Klasse Sealant Glaze. I top it with Collinite 476s carnauba.

For quick wipedowns, I've tried Pledge and find that it does good job. Way better than Pledge is Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish. The Honda spray needs less wipes to get shiny and cleans better. Pledge takes double the amount of wiping. Amsoil Miracle Wash Waterless Wash and Polish Spray is very good too but glossier. Honda spray looks more like a carnauba wax.

Old 12-19-2013 | 11:10 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned

For the guys that use simple green google about hydrogen embrittlement. Simple green is not good to use on metal. Even if you rinse it all off some is going to weep in between gaskets and the metal and not get rinsed off. I will not even let it near my cars, motorcycle, bikes, OPE, or firearms. Bad stuff. Works great on the garage floor though.

For the engine a product made for that purpose is better and it will not damage the metal. I ride too much to even try to keep up with keeping all the grime off the motor. She gets atleast one good ride a week in the rain so most of everything gets rinsed off it anyway. For paint and what little chrome I got left windex is the best cleaner I have used and maguires spray polish does not leave a heavy waxy build up.

Old 12-23-2013 | 07:56 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
From: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
For the guys that use simple green google about hydrogen embrittlement. Simple green is not good to use on metal. Even if you rinse it all off some is going to weep in between gaskets and the metal and not get rinsed off. I will not even let it near my cars, motorcycle, bikes, OPE, or firearms. Bad stuff. Works great on the garage floor though.

For the engine a product made for that purpose is better and it will not damage the metal. I ride too much to even try to keep up with keeping all the grime off the motor. She gets atleast one good ride a week in the rain so most of everything gets rinsed off it anyway. For paint and what little chrome I got left windex is the best cleaner I have used and maguires spray polish does not leave a heavy waxy build up.
Hydrogen embrittlement occurs in steel not aluminum. Nearly all the exposed steel on my bike is painted, powder coated, and chrome or zinc plated.

Aluminum is subject to corrosion, but I am careful to rinse the stuff off thoroughly. I've never noticed any signs of abnormal corrosion.

Old 12-23-2013 | 08:53 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

I use any average car wash for the bike itself....really doesn't matter much to me, they all work fine for cleaning it.

However, for the engine and primary/tranny area....I dig the product called "Pig Spit".
http://www.pigspit.com/

You can find it at most of your favorite bike parts/supplies sources.

Old 12-23-2013 | 09:17 AM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master

I like Meguiars and my local indy has a bike wash/wax that works really well for soap. I also like Purple Slice, the Harley foam spray and one that was sold by Honda (it has a black white and pink can but is no longer under the Honda label)

there are lots of them out there

Old 12-23-2013 | 09:20 AM
backplay
Road Master