Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger backrest pad/bar and T-bag problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Rarebare
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger backrest pad/bar and T-bag problems?

Hello there. Well I finally decided on my scoot and put a deposit down on a vivid blackFXDC today (if anyone has seen my threads lately they'll understand how difficult it has been - understated) and am looking at accessories.

I'm trying to decide on a comfortable passenger backrest pad and was looking at the "Smooth Bucket Passenger Backrest Pad 51132-98".

Does anyone have any opinions on this model? Too large? I don't know if I'll do a removable backrest or ride with a solo seat, so I'd like something that looks good as well when alone.

My other concern is that since I will likely wait for a while on saddlebags, I'll probably be looking to use a T-bag or similar set-up and am concerned that the pad may be too large for some of the built-in pockets on the T-bags that hold them. Any ideas?

Also, do I need to pay attention to the height of the passenger bar, as far as T-bag support as well as passenger comfort?

P.S. Looking at the Sundowner for now as well. They look quite thick. Will this compress a lot when seated or does it put you up higher?

Sorry about all the questions, but any help is appreciated.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Passenger backrest pad/bar and T-bag problems?

personally I think t-bags aren'tgood quality. don't let that alone drive your decision. function and aesthetics should govern your route. I personally endorse nelson-rigg travel accessories, unmatched quality and flexible to any setup
sorry can't comment on the sundowner seat. good luck.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:22 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I disagree with the previous poster about T-Bag quality. I have been using one for almost ten years and probably 20-30k miles with never a problem, even in the rain. You can get a T-Bag that will fit any backrest you might choose. The height of the backrest is not critical. Mine is only about nine inches above the Corbin passenger seat and I always have it sitting on the passenger seat and use it as a rider backrest. They strap down very securely and stay in position. I have the expandable model and can carry a two week supply of clothes, probably more.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Rarebare
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After all my time adding accessories to the Superglide, it ended up so much like a Road King that I ended up buying the RKC instead.

I do want to thank all of you for your suggestions and ideas though, and did indeed take them all into consideration.

Later,