General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

House endorses Repeal of Motorcycle Helmet Law for Most Adults

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 05:00 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default House endorses Repeal of Motorcycle Helmet Law for Most Adults

House endorses Repeal of Motorcycle Helmet Law for Most Adults - State House members are revving up for another run at repealing Missouri's mandatory helmet law for most adult motorcyclists.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:05 PM
16over
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: House endorses Repeal of Motorcycle Helmet Law for Most Adults

GOOD LUCK MISSOURI!!

I would love to ride the great roads in MO, but won't because of the helmet law and I know others that feel the same way. So lawmakers hears this, you are missing out on people riding in your state and SPENDING $$ because of the helmet law. IMHO

Let those that ride, DECIDE!

Helmet Laws SUCK!

Old 03-15-2007, 05:11 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I only live a few miles from the Missouri border, and like many others I don't like crossing over into their state because of the helmet requirement.

Wish them the best of luck, but it seems like happens every few years, with the House introducing a "Helmet Free Bill", and the Senate rejecting the same.

Maybe it will be different this time around, guess we will see.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:12 PM
surv1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best of luck with that...hope it passes!

Old 03-15-2007, 05:14 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

I only live a few miles from the Missouri border, and like many others I don't like crossing over into their state because of the helmet requirement.

Wish them the best of luck, but it seems like happens every few years, with the House introducing a "Helmet Free Bill", and the Senate rejecting the same.

Maybe it will be different this time around, guess we will see.

We get that a lot here on the FL-GA line as well.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:26 PM
jackj
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I guess I'm the odd man out, wearing a helmet does not seem like a big deal to me. I'll admit there are times when I don't wear one, but making a big deal out of it one way or another is not important to me, and refusing to ride in a state with a helmet law is down right silly,

Old 03-15-2007, 05:33 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree jackj, I cannot believe people want to wast the states money by bringing a repeal like this back up. The only way I think people should be able, legally, to ride without a helmet is if they sign an insurance waiver indicating if they have a wreck causing a head injury the insurance does not have to payout anything concerning the head injury portion of the insurance claim. Trouble is, with insurance laws governed by the state insurance commissions and commissioners, insurance companies cannot do anything like that, called some sort of discrimination, so everyone then shares the extra financial burden. How do I know? My wifes been in the insurance business for almost 30 years now.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:48 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

ORIGINAL: glideridemike

The only way I think people should be able, legally, to ride without a helmet is if they sign an insurance waiver indicating if they have a wreck causing a head injury the insurance does not have to payout anything concerning the head injury portion of the insurance claim..
The only way I think people should be able to eat a BigMac is if they sign a waiver idicating that if they have a heart attack the ins. co. does not have to pay. If they get an STD the ins. co. does not have to pay. If they snow ski the ins. co. does not pay. I can go on, but you get the idea.

Laws that protect people from themselves suck. I hope Missouri becomes a choice state.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-15-2007, 05:52 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

you're trying to compare apples to oranges, but I understand what you're getting at. I feel the same, its the cost factor I see as the problem.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:09 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Not comparing apples to oranges. The issue you made was whether or not an ins. co. should have to pay for a claim from a self inflicted cause, ie. injury from a motorcycle accident while not properly protected. Same difference as an injury or illness that is self inflicted from indulging in some other form of injurious behavior, ie. bad diet, unsafe sex, etc.

If you want to talk about the cost factor, then you are comparing apples to oranges. The claims from bad habits like poor eating and lack of exercise so far out distance any claim from the small percentage of MC crashes in the US, with or without helmets,that the differenceIS apples and oranges.

Regards,

Bill

Quick Reply: House endorses Repeal of Motorcycle Helmet Law for Most Adults