General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida Keys

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 10:25 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,185 Likes on 1,804 Posts

Fubar hope you don't mind if I join your thread with some questions.

*Best wings? I'm a big buffalo wing fan, every place I go gotta try some. Would like to find one of the better wing places around.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:22 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Beware of the places with rainbow flags, you know what is in there! Lots of those places scattered around, good to be informed about it. Many have little flags over or by the door.
I prefer to park where I stay at the Key, and have a Vespa like scooter delivered to cruise the island, usual fee is around $20 per day. Park anywhere with it, other parking is very limited and cabs will cost you a fortune and waste lots of time.
Key West is so small, you can see it all in a short period of time. Parking is indeed a problem.
Don't forget the sunscreen. Prices go up big time after the first of the year, December is a great time to go.
Enjoy a quality sunset on Sunset Beach. They are something to behold, big crowds show up for them every day. Enjoy your stay!

Old 12-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat

*Best wings? I'm a big buffalo wing fan, every place I go gotta try some. Would like to find one of the better wing places around.

There are restaraunts in the keys that serve wings. I've never heard of any of them being particualrly good.

In the keys look for a grouper sandwich (Gag Grouper if they have it!), triggerfish sandwich or dolphin sandwich. Or the same fish platters. I eat local when I travel.

I think the finest restaraunt in Key West and also has the best ambience is Louie's Backyard. Eat outside. Expensive but worth it.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:22 PM
FUBAR55
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat

Hell no, I don't mind. I like me some ***** too.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:44 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
Beware of the places with rainbow flags, you know what is in there!
I've always thought to myself....why is it those communities always crop up on "the tip of a peninsula".

It's like the look at a map and look for a phallic shaped chuck of land, and hang at "the tip".
Provincetown Cap Cod
Key West
San Francisco Bay

Old 12-11-2013, 03:46 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

So far our list of places to eat

*Butterfly Cafe in Marathon
*Lazy Days South in Marathon
*Kaya Island Eats, Key West
*Keys Fisheries Big Pine
*Hideaway Cafe
*Brutus Seafood Market
*The Stuffed Pig

Old 12-11-2013, 04:52 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 861 Likes on 651 Posts

If you have a lady along they will enjoy the one restaurant in Sunset Key as mentioned by DYNHD1. It is run by Westin and requires a reservation. In the past you have NOT been required to be staying at the Westin. Just a quick phone call to Westin and a reservation.
I would suggest lunch at about $50 to $60 bucks for two with tip and no alcohol.
It requires a FREE boat ride each way which is rather nice and eating outdoors with a great view along the water is really different especially for northern folks.
It makes for a nice outing and should consume at least 2+ hours of your day.
They are rather strict and do not allow you to board with-out a reservation to get on but getting back is easy since the boat runs about every 20 minutes...you can see the island across the water from mallory square...look at google earth so you understand better.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,937 Likes on 19,377 Posts

You mean someone actually has the keys to Florida ??? :>)

Old 12-11-2013, 05:15 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 861 Likes on 651 Posts

When you decide what schedule/route you want to take just drop back as many have done the loop and can indicate some ideas for stops.
For example: US41/Tamiami trail has Value Jet memorial, Joannes Blue Crab cafe(movie gone fishin shot next door/gator ribs and other stuff or maybe just a bottle of coke), the smallest post office, Free gator viewing area's..Goodland(tiny town that turned clock back about 50 years) mentioned by another poster is off of Tamiami/41 something like 6 -8 miles off and is known for their mullet festival. Ideally you want to travel west on Tamiami/US41 so the sun is at your back and then only during/entering daylight...gas is scarce(two stations in 75 miles), no lighting, no curbs, rain run off is not ideal,rather dangerous and desolate at night. Gators prefer to be avoided and do not appreciate being run over....I research my rides and usually save/mark my points of interest...but I still remember a late departure that had me crossing tamiami trail in the dark of night...that sucker was dark,dark, dark and the bike and myself stank because of all the dead swamp bugs.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:34 PM
cropsure
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prime Steakhouse in Key West is execellent. Best oysters Rockefeller I have ever had. Great wine selection also.

Quick Reply: Florida Keys