General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida Keys

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 05:37 PM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

We did it '05 with a 2 day stopover in Daytona during Bike Week. Stayed at the Crowne Point Plaza hotel right on Duval Street and a short walk from Sunset Pier.

Go, by all means go. I promise you, you will love it.

Watch out for the chickens. And most of the leather shops don't sell motorcycle leathers.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:59 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 861 Likes on 651 Posts

Depending on how much time you have would determine your trailer drop-off point when going south.
You really need two hotel nights in Key West in order to enjoy it.
Arrive in the afternoon of day one, day two is a full free day and day three to depart.
It will take a minimum of 3.5 hours to depart Key west and reach the Miami mainland with zero rest stops, zero traffic or gas stops.
Many motorcyclist find it enjoyable to drop the trailer between St Augustine and Melbourne and then ride the coast to about Ft Pierce were they switch to the turnpike south and then pick-up 595 west to US27 south to 997/Krome south until start of the keys. Others just stay on the Turnpike and blast-it to the start of the Keys. To the start of the Keys(miami mainland/keys start) it is about 5+ hours from Daytona & 6+ hours from St Augustine with only gas stops.
On return:
A loop that would take you going west on Tamiami Trail /41 during daylight only would be rather nice ! (gators will be on your right) would be rather scenic and would allow for an overnight someplace in Naples/ Ft Myers with time to get to Daytona or St Augustine the next day.
The combination of going down one side and up the other with a crossover would be ideal.
Here is an old cut and paste i have posted before.
This is what I have done in the past and NEVER speed in the keys many , many drop downs in speed:
If starting from Miami Airport you can stay on the 836 west/Dolphin which becomes the turnpike as you head west and eventually turns south..two choices #1 (faster) continue going south on turnpike until it ends at US1 at the start of keys or #2 (slower & about 40 minutes more/ for daylight only) get off at Kendall Drive (88 street) and go west to (997) krome south (this is a farming area) to the end were it will merge with US1 at the very beginning of keys. It will spit you out very close to the last chance saloon ”biker bar” and card sound road entrance. *Miami Dade County is toll by plate(bill you later) once on the turnpike. Broward is cash..
Consider using the Free Google Earth download on your computer to see a real satellite image of the route and to "virtually" drive the area/route.
Then :
Two more choices at the start of Keys and both spit you out at the same spot: #1 Turn left onto Card Sound Road(much less traffic, more scenic and relaxing but about 20 minutes longer) or #2 Just stay on US1 (US1 has been greatly improved and now has divided barriers) but it is a high speed race and the passing lanes can get hairy at rush hours.
Places:
Alabama Jack's, Card Sound Rd., On card sound road just before/right next to toll $1 ?(Toll is old school dude in a box )…Alabama Jacks is Place to snack and have a beer. This is the only place to eat/drink on card sound road. mangrove/water in back.
Key Largo : east side of road.. **GONE The African Queen ”bogart movie little boat ” - is on view at the Holiday Inn Key Largo Marina..”FREE” it is dry docked and the termites have done a number on it…(P.O.S) can see it(shrug shoulders) and leave with-out getting off bike**…on west side of road: A local bar, the Caribbean Club-(i do not think it ever closes) good view from the back and was supposedly used for Bogart movie…Maybe get a beer in a bottle and enjoy view of the water in back.
World Wide Sportsman, Islamorada MM # 82 - ultimate tackle store (now part of the Bass Pro Shop chain) but store has some fake replica history that includes Zane Grey and Papa Hemingway. Good place to eat next door on water at isla morada fish company….use bathrooms at the Big World Wide Sports store next door..(back right corner) by the aquarium…store is kinda cool and has nice free view of water...worth the stop for bathrooms and a break even if you do not eat next door.
Hurricane monument/memorial between Mile Marker 81 and MM 82-a quick stop..will not change your life but most people miss the landmark.. FREE 5 or 6 minutes rest to read signs. There are about 3 or 4 parking spaces FREE almost touching monument.
This is a link to a 360 degree view of the keys..works rather odd because you need to hit the (-) whenever you wish to click the top left corner (Florida keys tab) to select a different mile marker view..But rather cool...can even do a full screen
http://360floridakeys.com/things-to-...cane-monument/

Islamorada MM#79 :Cool place.. Hand feed tarpons at Robbies..really easy to miss...just past bridge..west side of road.. I think it is $3 for bucket of fish and $1 dollar per person? nice 15-20 minute stop and they have cold glass bottle cokes to cool down.http://www.robbies.com/tarpon.htm
Island Fish company MM #54 is a nice place on the water to eat,drink or snack.
Seven Mile Bridge MM# 47: used in several movies. Notice old bridge on west side.
Many people cross it and are in such a relaxed state that they miss "seeing it"
No Name Pub MM# 31---NOT on the water but you WILL see the famous and protected wild Key Deer. The bar is different with a ton of dollar bills stapled to walls, roof etc...pizza, wings, beer type of place...very hidden.
KEY DEER BLVD/CR-940 stay straight on WILDER RD./ AVENUE A to dead end (1.2 miles)Turn LEFT onto POINCIANA RD/POINCIANNA RD. (0.1miles) then Turn RIGHT onto AVENUE B. (0.2 miles)AVENUE B becomes FL-4A/WATSON BLVD. go over bridge (0.8 miles)…bar on left.
Key West: Mallory Square,Hemingway House
Best fish sandwich : BO's fishwagon (not on the water), fresh everyday, on caroline and William..dump at corner of intersection..park bikes a few feet away(meter)..do internet search
http://www.keywesttravelguide.com/bos-fish-wagon.html.
Definitely get your picture taken at the Southernmost Point., Consider a sunset sail cruise and/or a Bi-plane ride(cool).
Schooner Wharf Bar Key West on William Street- on the water (food in a basket).
The parking meter maids do not play..make sure to pay for parking in Key West (meter/public/whatever).

Last edited by im; 12-10-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:02 PM
dynhd1
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the best motorcycle rides ever! Take card sound road in the upper keys and stop at Bama Jacks for one of those fried slime samiches! Stay at the PIER house once you get to Duvall. Eat at the Weston at sunset key for dinner the place is called Latitudes!

Old 12-10-2013, 06:11 PM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you need a place to park the trailer, let me know.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:25 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
That's Monroe County. They don't like motorcyclists, or out of state snowbirds. So here's two tickets, welcome to the Keys, enjoy your stay.
Huh? That county wouldn't exist without tourists/snowbirds. Monroe County SO and Key West PD are amazingly lenient.

One thing about the Keys, keep your schedule open. One decent wreck anywhere on that road and traffic comes to a halt...One way in, one way out.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:21 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,667 Likes on 2,539 Posts

The Keys are my #1 "If I ever win the lottery" destination.

Have driven it many times; never on a bike. My favorite place in the whole world.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:42 AM
FUBAR55
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thx for all the info. Startin to get excited. Cold as H3ll here.
Jonesee, I may hit you up for that ride along you mentioned.

IM, you make a great tour guide. Thanks for the effort, I appreciate it.

Last edited by FUBAR55; 12-11-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:30 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,185 Likes on 1,804 Posts

We'll just miss ya.....gonna be on Marathon for a week...private condo on coco plum.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:56 AM
FUBAR55
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My sister in law and her husband want to join us. They are in West Palm. Maybe start there, I don't know if I want to do that or meet them somewhere.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:10 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,771 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Great place and ride. One of my favorites!
Just be careful you don't get "rear ended" in Key West. LOL

Quick Reply: Florida Keys