General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOG Safety & Party

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 01:30 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts
Default HOG Safety & Party

For all you HOG haters, feel free to flame (my skin is plenty thick)…

I’ve been a member of the local HOG chapter for the past year, and let myself be talked into taking an officer position (Safety) in the chapter a/o January 1st . I spent a couple of decades working in industrial plant/process safety, so some friends decided that was adequate qualifications for the position <g>

I’ve had mixed opinions (and experiences) about HOG in the past, but this chapter seems different from past experience so I’m wondering how the next couple of years will play out. Nevertheless, I committed to do this. I would like to hear from other HOG members about what safety programs have been tried in your respective chapters – good or bad.

BTW -- I attended my first HOG Christmas Party last night. There were about 100 members there, and everybody seemed to have a great time – good food, good band, and a group of folks who really do seem to regard each other as family. Since I’m taking a more active role, it seemed to be time get more involved in such activities, and I thoroughly enjoyed the evening. IMO, that party alone was worth the $20 annual chapter fee.<g>

Last edited by PPBART; 12-08-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:09 PM
SeeJeepCrawl
Road Master
Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

My wife and I have been members since I got my first bike in 2011. Absolutely love it. You are right, it is like an extended family. We have had a couple of safety officers during that time. They don't mess around. We have a safety briefing every meeting, every ride, and in every monthly newsletter. There is always some type of refresher that is needed as we get lax in our riding. Whether it be hand signals, staying off wet painted lines, etc. It is an extremely important role. Our group sends its officers to HOT (Harley Officers Training) every year to Louisiana. They always seem to get quite a bit out of it.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:10 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

As with most things, you get out of it what you put in. Now that you are taking a more active role, I am sure you will find that you enjoy your time spent with the club more and more.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

We enjoyed our time with Charlotte HOG? That group rides and not just to eat. Lots of overnighters. Just wish they were closer (over a hour each way). Makes getting to meetings hard. Great group of folks. HOG is what you put into it. Our supporting dealer put on an ERC free for the road captains every year. Might be something to ask yours.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Good luck with your new position. I think what people think of HOG depends on how good the local chapter is & your chapter sounds like a good one. I don't belong, but some of my buddies belong to the Daytona chapter. They go to a "slow riding" class every now and then and practice going through an obstacle course that is set up in a parking lot. Sounds interesting & maybe something you can use.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:01 PM
FenceSC
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was a member of the Greenville (SC) HOG for three years. In addition to the monthly and pre-ride briefings, they used some of the money earned throughout the year to rebate the cost of taking MSF courses.

The Savannah HOG promotes taking the Riders' Edge classes given at the local dealership.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

Safety? sure...

try this: All riders and passengers on club rides must wear a full face helmet with a clear face shield, the helmet and shield must be in good condition and no more than 6 years old, said headwear must meet ASTM ,SNELL or ASNI Standards in place on the date of manufacture as shown by the manufacturers certification sticker inside the headwear.

Military spec reflective vests must also be worn by the rider and passenger.

I have 4 decades of background in manufacturing, I have done OSHA training, ran manufacturing shop floors, RF safety for tower workers, product liability, ANSI and ASTM testing.

none of that with the exception of common sense transfers to riding.

When I was in public office I never missed a meeting because that is how you got appointed to be Chair of some study committee or Liaison to the Pledge Social Committee. Did you miss a meeting? Draw the short straw? **** them off?

Oh ya, tell them no alcohol consumption 8 hours prior to any ride or during any ride or event... a "bottle to throttle" rule. Just like pilots and CDL drivers ( I have both licenses)

Safety.... ya they are serious

Old 12-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Our safety officer has a safety meeting the first Saturday of the month for anyone that wants to attend (new members are encouraged to attend) goes over hand signals, riding formations shows a DVD answers questions then after the meeting take everyone out for a ride to practice what they just talked about. Ride ends at a lunch location chapter pays for lunch.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:59 AM
spdrcrjl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I joined my local chapter 3 years ago and as of Jan 1st I will be in an officers position. Our chapter is run our way. As long as we operate within the sponsoring dealer and HOG's rules. Our safety officer speaks every month at our meeting about a particular piece of riding. This past month it was about riding in fog and what to do to be as prepared as possible. Cleaning headlights, windshields, helmet shields, goggle, glasses and so forth. Like others have said you get out of it what you put into it.

If you have information that you have learned pass it on.

I like being a part of a local chapter. I ride with a group of people that are safe and I trust.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:21 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Safety? sure... full face helmet...Military spec reflective vests...

none of that with the exception of common sense transfers to riding...

no alcohol consumption 8 hours prior to any ride or during any ride or event... a "bottle to throttle" rule...

Safety.... ya they are serious
As I said in original post, I would like to hear about safety programs that have actually been tried in other chapters – good or bad.

I do agree (and pointed out to my friends) that most of my industrial experience doesn't directly relate to riding, but some basic concepts like PPE and risk recognition/assessment/mitigation do apply, along with one I always stressed: YOU are the one most responsible for YOUR own safety.

Our chapter already has a "no alcohol" rule -- if a member shows up for a ride impaired, they are not allowed to ride with the group, and no alcohol consumption during any HOG ride, period. Other events, like the Christmas party, are BYOB.

And yes, our chapter is serious about safety.

Quick Reply: HOG Safety & Party