General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOG Safety & Party

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 08:47 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by FenceSC
...they used some of the money earned throughout the year to rebate the cost of taking MSF courses...promotes taking the Riders' Edge classes...
Our local dealership used to host the RE classes, but the facility just isn't big enough for the riding exercises; however, a sister dealership (same owner) about 30 miles away does still conduct the training and has a great facility for it. Our chapter promotes and encourages the training (but no subsidies), and I believe the majority of our members have taken some version of that. We also are working on a program to provide individual advanced rider training for any members who want it, at a group rate. I plan to be one of the first thru that program(!)

I know that some chapters get direct funding from the sponsoring dealer. Our dealer provides a lot of material support, but (to date) no direct cash to the chapter; our funds are essentially limited to annual membership fees. Almost all of the chapter fund-raising activities are in support of veterans programs, childrens hospitals, Shriners, etc.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:57 AM
gerjets
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@Neggy ZRXOA 5248...point taken...it is an unfortunate fact in today's world that you have to go to the extreme during any organized function/group, else someone will be looking to sue when something bad happens to them (even if it is their fault). One of the reasons I tend to ride by myself or with a few close/trusted friends.

@PPBART...do what you've gotta do...most people in today's world would rather sit back and take pot shots instead of stepping up and doing the work. Good on you. Do what you can do to make your HOG Chapter better.

Neggy kinda hit it right in my book. COMMON SENSE. If there is a way to inject common sense into your rider base (without going overboard) while teaching the standard safety practices and riding techniques, you've probably done all you can do. Good luck with that!!! :-)

Old 12-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Seems like you would run out of stuff to talk about pretty quickly.

?

As for HOG, I guess I got a free membership when I bought the CVO but, I didn't know they had local chapters. Either I am missing something or they are not very active here in Corpus.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:51 AM
spdrcrjl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our biggest safety concern is group riding. New riders and members (some experienced too) need to know how to ride in a staggered formation and use hand signals to communicate to those behind what is up ahead.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:48 PM
bluecollarjoe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't attend too many HOG events. In my area they seem rather cliquish and already set too many "rules". However, as safety officer for our Legion Riders group, I don't do "programs" per se. We have had a few rider practice sessions in large parking lots where we set up MSF courses and the ones from Ride Like a Pro. Group safety lectures are a sure way to turn people off. I try to pick a monthly safety topic based on events that happen during our rides (without calling other people out). In fact, most times I will discuss something I did or failed to do. I am always watching our riders and if someone needs some coachng, I do it privately and in a positive way. You don't have to be a safety **** to improve people's group riding skills.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:13 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I am kind of a dork. I am a HOG member and have been since 2003, but I do not really like sitting at meetings and listening to all the BS, so I am not a local chapter member. I do not mind being a HOG member because (as previously stated) I am a dork and I like the silly rag they send every couple months. I ain't a "people person", so local chapter crap does not appeal to me. To each his/her own. If you like the comfort of the local chapter, go for it. It just ain't my thing.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:18 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by bluecollarjoe
... You don't have to be a safety **** to improve people's group riding skills.
LOL -- Good point! Mandates and dictates never seem to work that well, especially in a voluntary organization like HOG. Getting everyone to recognize that they individually are the person most responsible for their own safety has always been an important principle for me.