General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have any Daytona Beach tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 07:49 PM
JDSporty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have any Daytona Beach tips?

Looking at going to bike week in Daytona in March. Anybody have any tips good or bad? Never been. Places to stay? in Daytona or just outside of Daytona? Things to do or don't want to miss?? Any information would be great.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Wheels24
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Need more specifics about what you want/like to do...races, bars, rides, etc. Interested in camping or do you want a motel? Rent a house/condo? Some people go for the races and never even go to Main Street. Some go to Main Street and couldn't care less about the races. Some do neither and just hang out at their favorite spots outside of town. Some like to sit in traffic and pose/hang out. Others prefer to avoid the traffic at all cost and ride north, south or west. Tell us more about what you prefer. I've been there almost 20 times...as have lots of others on here. I recall that a few Forum members (at least) lived in (or still live in) the DAB area. You'll get plenty of ideas and suggestions...

Last edited by Wheels24; 12-07-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:36 PM
JDSporty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheels24
Need more specifics about what you want/like to do...races, bars, rides, etc. Interested in camping or do you want a motel? Rent a house/condo? Some people go for the races and never even go to Main Street. Some go to Main Street and couldn't care less about the races. Some do neither and just hang out at their favorite spots outside of town. Some like to sit in traffic and pose/hang out. Others prefer to avoid the traffic at all cost and ride north, south or west. Tell us more about what you prefer. I've been there almost 20 times...
Plan on staying in a hotel. Interested in Main Street, a few bars, vendors and possibly a race.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

copied form a post I made last week:

******* Tropical Tattoo Bike Show is a must. Old skool and garage builds at their best.

If you are into bike racing, hit the speedway, or the flat track races at the speedway in the evenings.

Boot Hill Saloon and Iron Horse are required.

People will chime in and say Destination Daytona, but it embodies everything I hate about what bike week is becoming.

Cabbage Patch isn't what it used to be. I don't attend anymore.
(Their campsite is still a blast though)

A1A north and south with stops for refreshments is a good time.

Main Street parade has to be done at least once.
Sitting on your parked bike or in a bar watching it is more fun.

I'm sure more will come to me.

search is your friend...

Last edited by Jonesee; 12-07-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Taranwanderer
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The ride north to St. Augustine was a blast. Nice stretch of highway. Be prepared to wash salt spray off your bike when you get home!

Old 12-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Here is how to stay out of trouble:
Don't break your back tire loose.
Don't lift your front wheel (it is now a felony).
Riding dirty (no m/c endorsement) is a felony in Florida too.
Wear eye protection and clear at night. (yes they look)

Don't act like a Richard to the police and they won't treat you like one.
Play stupid games, and win stupid prizes...

Last edited by Jonesee; 12-07-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:16 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

The Loop is a nice ride.
We like to ride early to Beach Street then over to Destination. We do the Racetrack on a different day. Plan to be on your feet all day (a lot of walking and standing).

Old 12-07-2013, 09:28 PM
dusturbd
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
Here is how to stay out of trouble:
Don't break your back tire loose.
Don't lift your front wheel (it is now a felony).
Riding dirty (no m/c endorsement) is a felony in Florida too.
Wear eye protection and clear at night. (yes they look)

Don't act like a Richard to the police and they won't treat you like one.
Play stupid games, and win stupid prizes...

riding dirty is NOT a felony in Fl it is a second degree misdemeanor.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Wheels24
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSporty
Plan on staying in a hotel. Interested in Main Street, a few bars, vendors and possibly a race.
When we stayed in hotels we spent the extra cash and stayed on the beach...well worth it for the pool and tiki bar overlooking the ocean...there are many hotels/motels...most are biker-friendly. I'd recommend a bike cover (it will rain at some point) and a good lock.

Main Street bars and sidewalks are crowded on the weekends but a must see for a first-timer...Froggy's, Bank and Blues, Boot Hill, etc. The people/bike watching on Main Street is a must see. Find a parking spot on Main Street (might take awhile) on Friday or Saturday afternoon/night, sit back and enjoy. Bars further out are worth the ride...Iron Horse, Cabbage Patch, etc...and a nice break from the downtown crowds. Ride up and down rt. 1...you can't miss most of them. Cabbage patch is a little trickier to find...head west on International Speedway, past the track and I-95, then make a left with the rest of the crowd.

You can't throw a rat motor block and not hit a vendor...used to be a lot on Beach Drive and up/down Main Street. They'll be everywhere.

I prefer the AHRMA vintage road races at the beginning of the week. Walk the pits and see/hear/smell all kinds of really cool classic stuff and run into the likes of Jay Springsteen. The races at the end of the week are more typical AMA stuff. Flat track is cool...on the west side of the speedway.

There are many ways to avoid the traffic on A1A and International Speedway Blvd all week...study a map and plan accordingly. You can come into town from the north or south and avoid the Speedway mob. You'll be amazed how many people just sit there and slog along like lemmings...don't be one of them.

I always take the A1A ride up to St. Augustine and back, and usually ride "the loop" once.

Have a great time. As another poster said, if you're not acting like a jack@$$ the local LEOs won't treat you like one. Kick back and enjoy.

Last edited by Wheels24; 12-08-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Big L
Road Warrior

Received 161 Likes on 128 Posts

All the above is nice, we also take a day and head south to NASA. Those big F###### rockets are a nice see. My .02

Quick Reply: Anyone have any Daytona Beach tips?