General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here not making payments on their new Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 11:15 AM
TheBanditColorado
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here not making payments on their new Harley?

I just found out that it is fairly typical to go in to a dealership now, sign a piece of paper, and walk out with a brand new bike without paying them much money.

You then pay them monthly amounts of $350-550 per month. That's crazy in my opinion. That's about half of my house payment. I have an older Harley that I bought at an independent and we didn't talk about this option. I just saved up and made an offer based on what I had.

I think it would take me about 5 years to save up for a brand new touring bike like the style I want… by that time I might be dead who knows.

Thoughts?

Old 12-06-2013, 11:24 AM
DRabbit
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Do it if you must, payments suck, but sometimes it's the only option. HD makes more money if you finance it, they probably won't go under 8% with the best of credit. If they are in a hurry and you can talk cash, you might get lucky. Consider borrowing the money from your bank for a cheaper interest rate. Hell, I've even wrote a convenience check with that low low interest, just don't have anything else on that card. Bought my last two trucks that way and payments were more manageable and I could pay whatever I was able until I got them paid off.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:29 AM
cam-921
Cruiser

I think it would take me about 5 years to save up for a brand new touring bike like the style I want… by that time I might be dead who knows.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Which is why most people would rather just pay for 5 years even though it cost a little more and ride the bike from day one. Those that pay cash, good for them , but I'm tired of all the people looking down there nose on this forum about those of us who finance. I work my *** off every day, outside in temps from 5-95, rain, sleet, snow... My family has food, clothes, and shelter. After that, ill spend my money how I want.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:31 AM
NySmokeEater
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DRabbit
Do it if you must, payments suck, but sometimes it's the only option. HD makes more money if you finance it, they probably won't go under 8% with the best of credit. If they are in a hurry and you can talk cash, you might get lucky. Consider borrowing the money from your bank for a cheaper interest rate. Hell, I've even wrote a convenience check with that low low interest, just don't have anything else on that card. Bought my last two trucks that way and payments were more manageable and I could pay whatever I was able until I got them paid off.
It is what it is . I financed mine through hd dealership all they required was 10%down payment and monthly payments were pretty affordable . And my percentage was 3.3% on the finance .

Old 12-06-2013, 11:36 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Never made payments on the 2011 Limited (bought in used in 2012). Made payments for a year on the 2006 FLTCI.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Pappy1
Road Captain

09 SG here.....Title in Hand....I was lucky enough to sell my 5th wheel camper....and I was able to buy mine out right....feels good to ride and not have payments...but if I wanted one bad enough I would finance in a Heart beat...

Old 12-06-2013, 11:37 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

To each thier own, for me , all my bikes have always been older modles that I paid cash for. When ABS came out in 08, I knew I wanted a glide with that, saved my money and bought a new SG in 11 for cash.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:37 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Why the hell would you be surprised of that? People finance cars, boats, airplanes, TV's, their weekly groceries. It's the American way! Why pay for something if you can get it without paying anything? 2 years no pay, 6 months free financing, first few payment made for you. It is truely AMAZING!!

Old 12-06-2013, 11:40 AM
twr3cks
Advanced

Just paid cash for my 2014 SGS, don't have a car payment and certainly don't want a bike payment. back in 1999 I had a bike payment and I hated it. Hopefully I'll never have another vehicle payment. It's nice knowing that it's mine, through and through.

I'm not rich by any sense of the word, just lucky I guess. Plus after my divorce, my credit took a **** so I probably couldn't finance if I wanted to!

Old 12-06-2013, 11:50 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I'll be making payments on mine, long after I'm too old and feeble to hold it up.

Quick Reply: Anyone here not making payments on their new Harley?