General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here not making payments on their new Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 12:59 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
...how many used a credit card to buy their bike. Those reward points add up.
I did that once -- Delta Skymiles AMEX, charged $9K when I bought a '08 FXD, paid it off next month.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:28 PM
LAZ_Rocker
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can totally understand why some folks would make payments. Even before I had my other stuff paid off, I always saved and paid cash for my toys... mainly because I didn't want to be tempted to "have to sell" if I got into a tough financial situation (I didn't want to risk being over extended).

Old 12-08-2013, 06:53 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

As a general rule I have not financed purchases for the past two decades. I have done that twice since 2009. In 2009 I walked into a Chevy dealer to look at a Vette. That was the year they had a program for employee pricing which was almost $10K off. That was supposed end that day and get replaced the next day with 0% financing.

They had a sign on the window saying employee pricing AND 0%. I asked three times are you sure?

I drove away in the Vette. That afternoon on a Tuesday GM told the dealers that they would do both programs. I did a four year loan while my money was earning 4.25%.

The next time was last month. I had been planning on adding a Road King. The dealer had a 14 in silver with the wheel option. But I was short in my money market account to cover the full amount. The salesman suggested financing. I said no that I will wait until mid summer and go for a 15 as the money market account would be built up by then.

I stop in often on rides and the sales manager said he could get 3.9% interest. Again I said no. Then he said what if we give you $2K of msrp?

I said "Write it up." I put $5K down and will pay the loan of in June. The $2K off more than covered the sales tax and interest charges with some left over for the other fees.

Wife was not happy that we are in debt now.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:33 AM
mhern08
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Who gives a eff if it's financed or paid in cash? Sure it would be nice to have it paid for and make a cash deal but if you've ever bought from a dealer cash doesn't really mean that much difference anymore. So hey let them make a little interest and stay in business and after I drive the hell out of this one- i'll be back in a few years for a new one! To each his own.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:03 AM
Rdgray
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cash doesn't help the deal when buying. When I was shopping for a pickup I had a couple dealers tell me they would rather finance then have cash. They make money of financing. So I suggest make the deal before telling them you are paying cash. If I don't have the cash I use a credit line and then pay it off as soon as possible.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:23 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
Nothing wrong with making payments on your toys if you can afford to do so. As cheap as interest is right now, in some cases it might be better to finance than dip into your savings.
Bingo! My retired friend just purchased a new cage. I was surprised to learn that he financed when I know he could just write a check. He said he was paying half the interest with financing that he would lose on that money if he'd taken it out of his investment account.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:08 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmancuso
Bingo! My retired friend just purchased a new cage. I was surprised to learn that he financed when I know he could just write a check. He said he was paying half the interest with financing that he would lose on that money if he'd taken it out of his investment account.
Exactly! I couldn't do that with my bike as the dealer was offering a 7% interest financing, too high.
But when I bought my bmw (car) I put down 20%, financed the rest at 2.99% with 35 monthly rates of just over 300$ and a final balance equal to 50% of the initial value. so 34k remained in my investment account for 3 yrs earning well above 2.99% and I finally paid off the balance last March.
I'll do the same deal anytime. Shame I couldnt refinance the final balance at the same 2.99%. On the other hand, both bike and car are mine and don't owe a penny to anyone.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:37 AM
srt8
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It felt so good to put cash down and ride away with the title in hand, car will be paid off soon. I do like paying myself 4% interest on my loan from my retirement

Old 12-09-2013, 01:20 PM
1ngryfishrmn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was offered 18% interest at the dealership. The salesman assured me it was normal. I told him I was offended and walked out. I contacted my Credit union, who offered to refinance my 10 year old Toyota Tacoma for 2.49%. I then took that cash to the dealership and paid cash for a beautiful used 01 Fat Boy Custom with over $12,000 in upgrades and only 10,000 miles on it. So technically, no I dont make payments on my Harley. And the payments on my re-fi are cheap.