General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have Viking saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 09:33 PM
suthpaw22
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have Viking saddlebags?

Thinking about getting a set for my Dyna super glide, but I don't know much about them and don't want to spend the money if they are crap.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:50 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a set and really like them. They have held up well in the weather and clean up like new. They are very sturdy, holding their shape very well. Some criticise them for not being leather but I can't say enough good about the quality. I have the quick disconnect system on mine, it takes less than a minute totals them off. The only thing that is a hassle is each bag has its own key for both the bag and the quick disconnect, that 2 keys for each bag. You do get a spare set of each. Great value!

Old 12-05-2013, 10:02 PM
suthpaw22
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. Do you have a sissy bar? Just seeing pics I wondered if the quick disconnect got in the way of that somehow. Is that system necessary to remove mounted bags easily? The live chat guy at Viking says I can remove and put them on quickly without buying that disconnect. Hard for me to know without seeing it all first hand.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:24 AM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by suthpaw22
Thanks for the info. Do you have a sissy bar? Just seeing pics I wondered if the quick disconnect got in the way of that somehow. Is that system necessary to remove mounted bags easily? The live chat guy at Viking says I can remove and put them on quickly without buying that disconnect. Hard for me to know without seeing it all first hand.
Yes, I have a sissy bar and it's not in the way at all. I don't know how easy the bags are to remove with the standard mount, I've didn't use the one that was included with the bags. I didn't like the look of the bracket and wanted the bags to fit as close to the fender as possible. A friend has that one and says it's too much trouble to remove the bags if you want to do it often. I think you
have to remove the bolt on the inside of the bag but I'm not sure so take it for what it's worth.

With the QD system you unlock it on the top of the brace, slide the bag about an inch and lift it off. The mounting posts that stay on the fender strut are chrome and look nice without the bag. I'm out of town but will be glad to take any photos for you when I get home tomorrow.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:59 PM
suthpaw22
Cruiser

Thats great. Yes, I'd like to see a few pics of it. I wondered how close the bags sat to the fender with and without. Thats good to know its a tighter fit with the quick release and that the mounting posts looks good with the bags off.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:53 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member

Fair warning...these are quick and dirty phone pics in the garage. WAY too cold to get her outside right now! Please excuse the dirty garage AND bikes!

These are the Softail Cross Bones bags.
http://www.vikingbags.com/harley-sof...-7645-prd1.htm

From the rear....

From the top....

With measurement....

Mounting post, top view. You can see where the tail light relocation bracket starts. This is a really bad photo, you don't notice it like it shows here.

Mount...side

If you do the QD, you'll have to mount the bracket yourself. It's easy, just drilling a few holes BUT make sure you get the bracket in the right place on the bag. As careful as I was, I got the bag just a bit too close to the light. I put the bracket higher up to get it to sit where I wanted it. It doesn't interfere with the bag opening, I just wish I had about 1/4" extra.
Hope these bad pics help!

Last edited by DeeRides; 12-06-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:07 PM
CobraEd
Tourer
Default I have them on my 07 Superglide

Great bags. Solid, well made, look great. I can't complain.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:30 PM
suthpaw22
Cruiser

Pics look great! Thank you! You've been a big help! I'll be ordering mine this evening.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:16 PM
snafu59
Novice

I ordered a set from Viking last December. They bags came, but one would not open with the provided key. I returned. They promised to send me replacements. After waiting almost 2 months, still no bags, although they kept promising to send...

I had to complain to my CC company to get a refund.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:13 PM
converted
Cruiser

check out bad&g customs. I have a set on my streetbob and I really like the quality. They have more of an old school look to them. Also their customer service was very good when I dealt with them.

Quick Reply: Anyone have Viking saddlebags?