General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95" Build - Your Opinions Please....

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:03 PM
bfrmbama
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 95" Build - Your Opinions Please....

I recently paid off my 2003 Fatboy (carbureted). Now I'd like to put my discretionary income toward increasing torque and horsepower.

Following isa quote I got from a reputable performance shop in my area. It's rather pricey but there are not an abundance of good tuners in my area (N Alabama). So, I really don't have anything to compare it to.

If you know of any good performance shops in the area, please let me know. If you know of any in the Nashville area, that would work because I'm only about a 100 miles from there.

I don't have the skill to do the build myself which is, I know, the inevitable reply. I wish I did.

Please let me know what you think.

The following is the build list for 100+ HP/100+ lbs Tq.

SE Piston Kit 10.5:1****************************** 279.95
SE Cylinder Kit, 95"***************************** 299.95[/align]SE Heads, SE Pro****************************** 949.95[/align]TW6HG 590 Lift Gear Cams,******************** 400.00[/align]Gear Drive***************************************** 390.00[/align]Install Kit Gear********************************** 29.00[/align]Lifter Kit***************************************** 119.00[/align]SE Push Rods********************************* 140.00[/align]Oil Pump Relief Spring +15%********************* 18.00[/align]Gasket Kit Top end MLS*********************** 94.00[/align]TC88A Ign Module*********************** 285.00[/align]SESE 44 mm Carb.*********************** 300.00[/align]SE Manifold********************** 75.00[/align]Spark Plugs********************** 7.00[/align]SE Clutch Spring********************** 25.00[/align]EZ-Pull Clutch Kit********************* 18.00[/align]Primary Gasket********************* 29.00[/align]Oil Pump Relief Spring +15%********************* 18.00[/align]MCV-01 20W-50 AMSOIL *************************32.00[/align]OEM Oil Filter *************************************** 14.00[/align]85W Primary Oil ************************************** 8.00[/align][f

Old 03-14-2007, 11:23 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 95" Build - Your Opinions Please....

I can say that whatever you do, you won't regret the 95" big build kit. What you need to do more than get a list of parts, it to speak with the engine builder so that you get a build that's right for the way you ride. An engine that only makes good numbers at the high end of the rpm scale is not going to be much fun to ride around town or where you will most likely spend most of your time. On the other side of the coin, you can get a great build w/o spending a huge amount of money. The basic 95" build is good, but make sure you get a set of cams that will give you the performance you're looking for and get them working with some headwork and the other parts that fit your riding style.

There is a difference in builds and components to be used for drag bikes, highway riding, you get the picture. Cleaning up your stock heads can also add a lot of ***** w/o spending a huge amount of money.

Good Luck with the choice.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:33 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would call Doug at Head-Quarters.

You could use your OE heads, and barrels, with his port work and cams and HQ custom ignition get the same and probably better results for about 1500$ less!

You just need your stock carb with HQ jet kit.

CK it out

I was out around 2600$ for just about everything you listed above.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:57 AM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My basic big bore is going to run me about $1200, thats for getting my cyl. done & cam's haven't priced the heads yet.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:49 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like a good deal, but not sure if the stock clutch is up to the task. The price is higher, because your going with new haeds and cylinders, instead of using the existingones. The smartest thing about your quote, is using the gear driven cams. Make sure you use Torrington style bearings for the cams, and use the S&S reed valve to help control oil blowby

Joe
[&:]

Old 03-15-2007, 08:30 AM
jimb
Road Master

I think it looks good, but who am I.I think you could save a little by getting your cylinders punched out and your heads re-worked.A lot of people are going to tell you not to use SE parts, aftermarket are better.In some cases that may be the case.I did my stage 2 2 years ago and I'm happy with it.Since your going with the high-compression pistons I would consider compression releases.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:06 AM
bfrmbama
Tourer

ORIGINAL: traveler

Sounds like a good deal, but not sure if the stock clutch is up to the task.

Joe
[&:]
I asked the same thing and was told that the SE Clutch Spring should be all I need and if it wasn't enough, that the plate is not that expensive.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:08 AM
bfrmbama
Tourer

ORIGINAL: jimb
Since your going with the high-compression pistons I would consider compression releases.
I asked about the releases when I got the email and was told they are included.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:47 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Again, sounds great, just remember you are bumping the compression, so it will be MORE un-forgiving of using anything but hi-octane fuel, especially in the middle of the Georgia summer, with the heat and humidity, and all. Will try to ping/detnoate on crappy fuel, especially if you run alot of timing. You will want the timing for throttle response.

Joe

Old 03-15-2007, 12:15 PM
camarotuner
Cruiser

Well hell it's dumb question time, why spend 4,500 building up a stock motor to 95" when you can buy 100" crate motors with warranties for only a bit more?

Quick Reply: 95" Build - Your Opinions Please....