General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Harness and battery pigtail

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013 | 02:23 PM
tcatnat
|
Road Master
Default Wiring Harness and battery pigtail

I currently have a pigtail on each bike to connect a battery tender will bikes are not in use. I have a suspicion that Santa will bring me some heated riding gear for Christmas. Is it safe just to add the heated gear wiring harness on top of the pigtail since they will never be used at the same time?

I read on the web yesterday (can't find it now of course) that it is recommended to take the pigtail off, hook up the heated gear wiring harness and then get a coax to SAE plug so you can use the same harness for the battery tender. It's not a ton of money but I'd prefer to save the $10 - $15 by not having to buy one of these plugs for each bike.

Old 12-01-2013 | 02:38 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member

There should be no problem using both, as you say, you won't be using both
at once anyway.

Old 12-01-2013 | 03:45 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

as long as the charging pigtail wiring is large enough gauge(meaning smaller number), you shouldn't have a problem. the battery tenders usually only charge at a rate of 1.5 to 2 amps and their wiring could be smaller. heated gloves, suits, pants etc will draw much higher amperage and has larger wire to be able to handle the extra load.

Old 12-01-2013 | 03:56 PM
tcatnat
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
as long as the charging pigtail wiring is large enough gauge(meaning smaller number), you shouldn't have a problem. the battery tenders usually only charge at a rate of 1.5 to 2 amps and their wiring could be smaller. heated gloves, suits, pants etc will draw much higher amperage and has larger wire to be able to handle the extra load.
Yes, I plan on using the wiring harness that comes with the heated gear.

Old 12-01-2013 | 03:57 PM
LippCJ7
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
This.

But you could reverse the situation if you have the same plugs by simply installing the plug for the heated riding gear and using it for your tender, probably the best solution.

But we need to know the draw of the riding gear, any idea? what type of riding gear are we talking about?

Here I found specs for Gerbings

http://www.webbikeworld.com/heated-m...cket-liner.htm

So it looks to me total possible draw is about 20 amps of course that is if you have every dang piece of clothing they offer on at the same time! So this brings another issue how long is your pigtail, wires can hold higher amperage loads at shorter lengths so you may still be fine but we need some answers.

Last edited by LippCJ7; 12-01-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-01-2013 | 04:08 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior

You can put the pig tails on top of each other with no problem My battery is made to put the starter cables on the side or top.
They are one the side. I just picked up 2 6mm stainless bolts and attached my battery tender and heated gear plug on top of the battery.

Old 12-01-2013 | 04:39 PM
tcatnat
|
Road Master

It's most likely looking to be the Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 jacket liner which draws 5.4 amps. I will either pair it with the Synergy 2.0 gloves (2 amps) or possibly the Gerbing T5 gloves.

Page 16 of the linked guide shows power output.

http://www.tourmaster.com/images/pro...ngtag_sy2j.pdf

Old 12-01-2013 | 04:50 PM
LippCJ7
Cruiser

5 amps is nothing I wouldn't worry about it, after you get spoiled by the gloves and add more heated gear I think it would be wise to look at it again.

Every battery tender I have seen runs about 18 gauge wire and 5 amps is well within the specs.

Old 12-01-2013 | 04:56 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

The heated gear wire harness has an inline fuse. Don't remember in the tender harness does or not.

Old 12-01-2013 | 05:05 PM
LippCJ7
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rider1200
The heated gear wire harness has an inline fuse. Don't remember in the tender harness does or not.
The pigtails on tenders should have a fuse in them, if they do not then you should add one, good catch Rider.

Quick Reply: Wiring Harness and battery pigtail