General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013 | 05:31 PM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Old 11-30-2013 | 05:58 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned

Originally Posted by Madnss
Well that's weird since I run low pressure and haven't had any troubles. And at the drag strip doing a buck 21.

Agree to disagree on a bar hopper street strip bike. Call me stupid or what not. Let's run em. O.....low pressure works good for riding 1/4 mile wheelie in second gear.

People fear the unusual or something thsts not the norm.

So a 150mph drag sporty is unsafe at the strip with 8 psi. Lol
Yer my hero bro, for real. I have run many cages on the strip, but my stock bike is just for fun. From stock my 54 at the crank horses is going .3-.4 faster after a lighter tire and opening the intake and exhaust. Not bad, right about what a stage 1 does. But on my bike if I drop the psi it slows me down. My best guess is rolling resistance is more. Normal psi ad she rolls right along.

She does best in the NC twisties anyway, thats what I like doing.

Time to eat some turtle soup.

Old 11-30-2013 | 07:05 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
Yer my hero bro, for real. I have run many cages on the strip, but my stock bike is just for fun. From stock my 54 at the crank horses is going .3-.4 faster after a lighter tire and opening the intake and exhaust. Not bad, right about what a stage 1 does. But on my bike if I drop the psi it slows me down. My best guess is rolling resistance is more. Normal psi ad she rolls right along.

She does best in the NC twisties anyway, thats what I like doing.

Time to eat some turtle soup.
Thanks. Enjoy your turtle soup. And I envy you guys that twisties hard.

Old 12-01-2013 | 11:14 PM
timsmcm
Cruiser

Been riding for more years than i can remember. Hardtail shovels & pans. Softails & sporties. On all except the sporties rear air pressure between 12 to 20 lbs. Never have i had a tire go bad or over heat. Got anywhere from 9 to 12 thousand miles on tires. Heck even rode 50 miles on an avon elan 2 with a gutter nail puncture. Flat at 0 psi at about 30mph sitting on the gas tank. How about that strong carcase on a motorcycle tire. Hard as hell to get it to seal tubless.

Old 12-02-2013 | 01:43 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by timsmcm
Been riding for more years than i can remember. Hardtail shovels & pans. Softails & sporties. On all except the sporties rear air pressure between 12 to 20 lbs. Never have i had a tire go bad or over heat. Got anywhere from 9 to 12 thousand miles on tires. Heck even rode 50 miles on an avon elan 2 with a gutter nail puncture. Flat at 0 psi at about 30mph sitting on the gas tank. How about that strong carcase on a motorcycle tire. Hard as hell to get it to seal tubless.
Dam tims, that must have been one hell of a sight lol

Old 12-02-2013 | 02:09 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

I've been sitting here trying to figure a way to be politically correct about this. I have failed, 8 psi on a street tire on a drag strip at 120 mph is Bullsh!t. Dragsters running low pressure in their big fat tires have some form of bead lock because the way a slick expands from centrifugal force actually is trying to pull the bead in. A street tire does the same to some extent but is dependent on the air pressure to hold it in place.
Yes in the old days you could get away with low pressure because the old pans and knucks we rode didn't have the power to spin the wheel on the rim and by modern standards most riders were pretty conservative. Just my experience.

I feel better getting this off my grey haired chest.

Old 12-02-2013 | 04:52 AM
Cory81
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker

Somebodies full of **** I ran rigids for years and you never go under 20PSI in a tire or you run a real chance of the tire separating off the rims . We did run them between 25 and 30 psi to help with the road jars and not chipping teeth but no lower .

Another thing less air pressure allows the tire to deform and they can rub in tight spots , air it up and watch the sidewalls pull in a bit as the crown raises .
I told him but he's said he's ran it for years I run 20 in mine after reading all this maybe ill kick it up to 40 like it says

Old 12-02-2013 | 06:46 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DeJavu
I've been sitting here trying to figure a way to be politically correct about this. I have failed, 8 psi on a street tire on a drag strip at 120 mph is Bullsh!t. Dragsters running low pressure in their big fat tires have some form of bead lock because the way a slick expands from centrifugal force actually is trying to pull the bead in. A street tire does the same to some extent but is dependent on the air pressure to hold it in place.
Yes in the old days you could get away with low pressure because the old pans and knucks we rode didn't have the power to spin the wheel on the rim and by modern standards most riders were pretty conservative. Just my experience.

I feel better getting this off my grey haired chest.

yup....bullchit.....you called it...or something like that.

bike number is 16.

Old 12-02-2013 | 09:19 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned

I would love to bracket race you. I know I could get you to break out.

Old 12-02-2013 | 12:36 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Cory81
I told him but he's said he's ran it for years I run 20 in mine after reading all this maybe ill kick it up to 40 like it says
To each their own partner , one thing about old hardheads and I do deal with a lot of them you ain't gonna change their minds , that usually takes a major Aw **** , money and some skin scrapped off and even then they will try to make it somebody elses fault .

You have suspension on the bike run the tires at the rated pressure , hardtail you can get away with dropping 10 or 15 PSI on the rear unless you have the big *** low profile tire , those don't have enough sidewall give to make much difference under 30PSI anyway .

Quick Reply: air pressure