General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke & Oil & Sparks! Oh, My!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Wide Glide 05
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Smoke & Oil & Sparks! Oh, My!!!!

My thoughts exactly....definitely has what it takes! Hope you get the bike back on the road...

Old 03-15-2007, 08:43 PM
rino
Banned

It happened to me too! Back in october my 07 train was only a couple weeks old. My return line(oil) actually blew up. I started a thread back then and since then there has been one more on this forum that I know of. My dealer told me the same thing 3-5 days for oil lines ended being about 10 days. They will never pull the lines off a bike in the showroom. There is good info in the previous threads, but there is not much else you need to know besides making sure they insulate the crap out of your positive lineso this doesn't happen again.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Lisaaahhh
Road Master

Rino - thanks for the info! Hopefully my dealer will do better, huh?

Wide - that is one cute friggin' dog. And thanks.

Big - you're just a sweetie. Looking forward to meeting you.

AndDean: yeah, that's me. I've seen the showdown forums, but only really visited those dominated by our resident Queen Heather.Doesn't seem rightto go post my own pics, so I've gotta wait on the OM to brag about me. Haha!! Really, tho, it's a little intimidating to compete against 19-year old chica's who've never popped out a couple babies! I'm with Heather on the whole "Real Girl Pic" threads. (And this is coming from someone who used to not have to worry about it!) Anyway, I'm sure I'll show up there eventually, just waiting on the OM, out of respect. Be patient. Haha.

Thanks, Guys! xoxoxo

Old 03-16-2007, 12:56 AM
surveyor
Cruiser

Sorry to hear of your troubles. At least like you say the weather is going suck. Hope your dealer can get it up and running soon for you. That is one fine looking bike almost as fine as whats sitting on it. Take it easy out there.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Wide Glide 05
Tourer

Thanks for the comment on Indy, as usual, he gets all the attention from the babes! [:@]Here is a pic of him scoping out chicks behind my back!
Be patient on the scoot....it will be back to new soon!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2296/C711F59EAE1F4A429B95C260EC8DD1C6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-17-2007, 01:24 PM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lisaaahhh

OK, Guys & Gals, what the hell is going on here...

I'm going down the road yesterday about 40 mph, and the OM motions me to pull over, cause he sees blue smoke comin' out of the right side of the engine! So I stop, see the smoke, shut off the engine & about a cup of oil pours out of my bike!

OK, I hope I can explain this without sounding like a dumbass... The short little braided cablesbelow the oil reservoir are black & sooty, like everything in that area, includinga nifty little crome casing that covers something. And the cablesappear to be well... kinda chewed up looking. And get this - when he presses on one of them & it makes contact with that chrome, it sparks! ZAP!

WTF!?! This is an 07 Fatboy, with 70 miles on it!Seventy EASY break-in-period miles. Have you guys ever seen this? Did the Dealer Service guys miss something when they sent her out the door? Could I have done something wrong?

So we call the dealer to send out a trailer & pick her up, and now I'm waiting to hear the diagnosis. The kid that trailered her in is the detail guy, nota mechanic,and of course,he said not to worry cause it's under warranty. But what the hell happened? Is this going to bea chronic thing or just a fluke? I don't want some half-*** "fix" you know? Is there a lemon law with HD's? Or am I just over-reacting to a simple oversight?

And I'm honked off 'cause it's beautiful here today & I want to be out riding!

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks!

~Lisa~
After reading a previous post regarding this problem, the first thing I checked when I picked up my '07' FLSTC were the battery connections. Sure enough they were loose, and the positive cable was dangling straight down, allowing it to touch the oil tank. The dealer installed a battery tender cable as a courtesy, which is fine, except the guy that sweeps the floors must have been assigned this duty. The service manual states that the positive batterycable must be at a 30 to 45 degree angle to keep it away from the oil tank. Loose connections + improperly aligned cables = toasty oil lines. I check the torque of every critical fitting, along with all the fluids, when I bought my bike. The possibility that a 17 year old, with his Ipod blasting at 110 decibels, might just miss something when he assembles all those shiny new bikes, is just to great to take a chance.A couple of years ago Iboughta brand new Honda Shadow. When I got it home I decided to check the oil quantity. I ended up adding 8 ounces of oil to the shaft drive reservoir. The trouble was, 8ounces of oilis all the reservoir holds afterit's been drained. If you want it done right....

DJK

Old 03-17-2007, 01:51 PM
FACTION95
Road Master

Wow I have the same bike. I hope that doesn't happen to my baby too.