General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide: Breakout or Wide Glide

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:52 AM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 772 Likes on 369 Posts
Default Help me decide: Breakout or Wide Glide

Having a tough time deciding on my next bike. I've been on two test rides and it was a mix of things I like and don't like, so I'm looking for additional input here that might help me make up my mind.

The Wide Glide handles better, has a better lean angle, and so doesn't scrape the pegs all the time. I find it slightly more comfortable as you sit up a bit higher and there is more leg room. The Breakout looks cooler and is definitely more stable due to the much wider front tire. Wide Glide has a better speedo setup, but Breakout is a smoother ride. I'll probably end up upgrading the seat anyway, so I'm not sure which one is better for 2 up.

I will go with mini-apes and V&H regardless of which bike I go with. I don't like the front brakes on either bike, so that's a wash. Color options are fine on each. Total cost is not the primary concern as I plan to do a lot of stuff anyways.

I also don't like the front wheel and tire on the Wide Glide. It's way too thin, and I would have to change that. Not sure how involved it would be to replace the wheel so I could run a 130 like the Breakout, but that is something I would be interested in. I would also like to run a 200 on the rear of the WG, and I've been told that is possible with a new wheel. But all of that could add up to be quite expensive.

If I go Breakout, I would want to upgrade the wheels to the CVO style, which is going to cost. But if I go WG, then I would need new wheels for the wider tires.

I guess at this point I'm inclined to go with the Breakout as it has most of the stuff I want already. But the lean angle issue continues to bother me and I'm more familiar with Dynas.

All opinions welcome.

Last edited by DM426; 11-27-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:23 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,889 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Default My .02

Again, its your money... I had the same equation when I bought my big twin and I bought a Heritage.. lol... BUT for me, I love the wide glide. Im 6feet 220lbs and I just "fit" better..

Old 11-27-2013, 10:59 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,731 Likes on 795 Posts

Have you looked at a StreetBob?

Old 11-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't help you other that to say I love my WG. I think the breakout is a very different bike. Can't imagine buying one and changing the wheels, but then I'm not swimming in cash either. I'm happy with my front wheel. Have fun whichever,

Old 11-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife has a Breakout and you're right about the lean angle, but some of that can be solved by changing some components. If you change out the exhaust and the curb feeler pegs, your lean angle is a bit better.

You'll never get as good a lean angle as the Wide Glide, but it will be close and your riding style will adjust.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Sig and name tails it all. Pun intended. Softails all the way bro

Old 11-27-2013, 12:48 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Breakout, just because...

Old 11-27-2013, 01:00 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does resale value play a role in this decision? If so I would think WG would have a better resale value but I like the Breakout better.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:50 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

Breakout is bad *** but you pay for it. The wide glide is a nice set up but since you plan on making mods anyway either will be nice. If it's in terms of $ you would be cheaper on the wide glide if you want something different and are willing to pay the extra bucks go breakout.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:55 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd get whichever one is more comfortable for you in stock form. I find that when a bike fits better in stock form you end up spending less money to get it too fit right.

Quick Reply: Help me decide: Breakout or Wide Glide