General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Bike, simple question im sure ;)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 03:55 AM
SprinterSteeze
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face First Bike, simple question im sure ;)

Hey Everyone! New to forums, and new to Bikes for that matter. Im not all that mechanically knowledged in 2 stroke engines or a bikes mechanics, but i am inclined and i have plans for education in the near future, but more importantly, I am looking into an old harley over the next few days. Its an old late 60s sprinter 250cc and all the information I have on it is, it doesnt run, and it did a year ago before it was put away. SO! My question to all my new brothers and sisters, as easy as it could potentially be, is are there any quick fixes I can try on the spot, or are there a few things I could bring with me to try switching out to get it to run? Possible spark plugs or wires, maybe a battery? Please dont bash when I say I have most of my mechanical knowledge from cars so if I say anything stupid please over look it. I truly dont mind constructive criticsm, or especially insight, im rather green to bikes so be as thorough as You wish, but ill skip over anything rude! Thank You in advance to all those who chose to help! I will be keeping posted as much as I can, although maybe it might have to be a new thread after this one! ill shut up, so it ran a year ago, but doesnt now after its been pulled back out of the garage, could that just be a dead battery or could it be potentially worse? I am getting the bike at a good deal and planning on investing into it so having to put money into fixing it up or it potentially being a serious mechanical issue, outside of time consuming and challenging, is not an issue! Thanks again for your insight!

Old 11-26-2013, 04:50 AM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,294 Likes on 2,899 Posts

Welcome.
You will probably get answers by posting your questions in the appropriate forum where it will get seen

Old 11-26-2013, 04:51 AM
WILDWOOD_1124
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any motorcycle battery that sits for a year is gonna be dead. And the gas in the tank, carbs and lines will be worthless. Shouldn't be too hard to find a Harley mechanic to get it going for you. A bucket full of money and a good mechanic should take care of it. Welcome to the forums and good luck!

Old 11-26-2013, 06:10 AM
SprinterSteeze
Stage III

Thanks Tracer, ill take that into consideration for the morning, ill check the forum location and repost there, I just happened to included it in the first post as it asked what bike i have, when in my case im looking, but i can see how i should have posted my question portion in the other forum.

Wildwood, I appreciate the heads up, if it goes through, should I get a replacement battery and jug of gas and hope for the best? I dont exactly have a huge amount of cash, and was hoping to have it be a dui with a bit of insight before hand into possibly being over my head, but knowing that it ran a year ago and most likely isnt running cause it just sat there is a huge relief!

Thanks You two for replying to my post, and the knowledge you were able to provide. It all helps and ill heed it all as I tackle my project and repost in a new forum tomorrow!

Old 11-26-2013, 06:11 AM
SprinterSteeze
Stage III

and Wildwood I said Most likely so if i get there and thats not the case I wont come back with 'but willwood said...' I appreciate the insight and ill bear it in mind!

Old 11-26-2013, 08:08 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

First, let me loan you a few of these ". . . .", and maybe a couple of spaces too!

You seem to have lost some to separate your sentences, and thoughts.

Now, if you aren't ignoring my response after that, take tools needed to remove fuel lines, spark plug, and to clean battery connections. Possibly bring something to clean the ignition with also. (If it's an old '60s bike, it probably has points that may need cleaning.) Being familiar with car mechanics, you probably knew that already though.

I would take some fresh fuel, an empty jug to dump anything left in the tank into, and maybe an air tank to fill low tires. A quart of 2 cycle oil also. Anything more than that, you may need to take a trailer or pickup to carry the bike home for further work.

Remember, Air/Fuel/Compression/Ignition, all necessary to get a running engine no matter how many strokes it takes! That just reminded me that a dirt bike that old may not have electric starter, so the accidental pun, ('no matter how many strokes it takes'), could be a bad omen...

Good luck, and I hope you fare well with the new toy!

Old 11-26-2013, 09:43 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

After putting fresh gas in the tank, remove the
spark plug, put a little raw fuel in the cylinder,
replace the plug reconnect the plug wire and
kick start it. That should do the trick for you.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:41 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,161 Likes on 6,705 Posts

Before you do anything, you need to be sure if it's a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke. I had a '67 Sprint that was 4-stroke, and also a '76 that was a 2-stroke (oil-injected). Not sure what a "late 60's" would have. If you in fact have a 2-stroke, and just use regular gas (without any oil injection or mix), it might eventually start, but won't run for long. Then you will be learning about shattered rings.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

If it is a Aermacchi 250 from the late 60's it's not a 2 stroke bike, it's 4 stroke bike.
It needs a good battery to start it (6 volt). If it indeed ran before it was stored for only one year, it shouldn't take that much to get it going. The 250's can be temperamental beasts, and very difficult to start even when well sorted. Each bike seems to have it's own liking as to how to start it.
If it's a 69, it's a 350, and has a 12V battery.

Here's a website with some info on the Sprints

http://www.scribd.com/doc/53711960/250-350-SprntSvc

My SS250 likes to have a couple of primer kicks before the ignition is turned on.
There should be a tickler on the carb, press that down a couple of times to prime the carb. This is after you check the plug, and make sure there is good gas in there, and it is getting to the carb. Then turn on the key, and GENTLY roll on the throttle as you are kicking it through. Make sure to get the bike on the compression stroke before kicking through.
If it is an ss250, the choke is a rod coming out of the top of carb slide. Pull it out to choke, push in to unchoke.
It will probably need a good amount of choke to start it after sitting that long.

Also check the points, to make sure they aren't stuck. Also check the mechanical advance unit (inside the points cover), to make sure it is functional.

IF you get lucky, it might just start, but needs all of the following.
Good gas, good spark, points set properly, and a little luck.
The Sprints can be a bear to start at times.

Here's a site where I uploaded all the info I have on Harley/Aermacchi Sprints. Feel free to download whatever you need. :-)
You will find the service and parts manual here.
http://ge.tt/28eVx1S

Oh, and by the way, they ALL say "it ran when it was put away"

Get back to us with the VIN and model/yr of the bike, that will help in telling exactly what it is.

Good luck

Last edited by Ragtop; 11-27-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:24 PM
V-Man
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum from Milwaukee, WI! Good luck on your project.

Quick Reply: First Bike, simple question im sure ;)