General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You're a guy and a non riding friend(guy) asks for a ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013 | 08:04 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I say good on you Scratt, other people aint you...so screw'em and what they think...

I'd do the same for a brother...

Old 11-27-2013 | 08:08 AM
rpbrown
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ron750
I wouldn't hesitate to give a ride to a sick friend, or stranger. One nice thing about being 57 is I don't give a crap what anybody thinks of me except for my family.
I think that was cool of you.
I agree. I have given a ride to a close friend that had stage 4 lung cancer. He loved the ride and passed a couple of days later. I would have never forgiven myself had I not done it

Old 11-27-2013 | 08:08 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
WTF dude....stupid **** like that deserves a good belt in the mouth.

To the OP....righteous thing you did, very honorable.

People that ride for their self perceived image...to be seen, to try to look cool...they worry about the image. and are the ones that worry about being called names or have their sexuality questioned.

REAL riders that know what it's about, enjoy it, and want to allow someone else a peek at that enjoyment....nothing else needs to be said.
Like I said above, some dudes are still in the closet.

Old 11-27-2013 | 08:20 AM
Scarz
Road Master

I've taken a brother, brother-in-law and my father-in-law for rides. My brother in law went back to Ohio and bought his first bike, then after a while learning to ride and taking a riding course, he bought a Harley, all from the experience of taking a ride as a passenger. My father-in-law was 84 at the time he rode with me. The experience got him talking about when he used to ride with friends on their bikes when he was young school kid. The experience got my brother to buy his first bike (a Harley Softtail). He then sold it and bought a '09 Ultra and together (with his wife) we rode to Sturgis and the Grand Canyon, and experience of a lifetime for me.
Based on these experiences and the actions taken from the experiences, I would give a other guys rides. They only have to ask.
I might add that it was a ride on the back with my aunt's boy friend in the late '60s that sold me on the experience and desire to want my own (just 6 bikes over 40 years).

Old 11-27-2013 | 11:13 AM
cmashark
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

I'm the youngest of 9 kids and am 36 years old, now. But every time I ride my bike, I think about how my oldest brother, Greg (18 years older than me) used to take me for rides on his old Yamaha (750 special, I think) when I was 8-12 years old. Greg was always the type of brother that always looked for me when ever he came by dad's house, just to make sure I was doing well. He was also the type of brother that let people know that I was his little brother. I probably wouldn't have started riding if it wasn't for Greg. I miss my brother, but at least every time I take my bike out, I have great memories of an awesome big brother.

So yeah, I would give another guy a ride on my bike.

Chris

Last edited by cmashark; 11-27-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-28-2013 | 01:15 PM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member

You're a guy and a non riding friend(guy) asks for a ride-image-255334783.jpg

David Mann (one of the most iconic painters in motorcycling history) didn't see anything wrong with it either. What Scratt did for his friend was a great thing. I'd do the same in a heartbeat

Old 11-29-2013 | 04:05 PM
Scratt
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Good for you, Scratt. Same here. My dad's 82, and moved into assisted living this past spring. Between early onset dementia, losing the house, giving up the dogs, hating his hearing aids, lost his drivers license, etc he's been pretty depressed. Picked him up on the bike one day, and can't get enough now. Kinda like your brother riding, it's a nice break & getaway for awhile. I'm 58, and can't be bothered with what somebody thinks about 2 guys on a bike. Sometimes, people who've never been on a bike just want to feel what it's like.
Great pic Geezer, I wanted to add a pic after I saw yours.

And Thanks again to all for the kind words.

Old 12-02-2013 | 05:50 PM
Irish883
Road Captain

My answer to this question is... it depends. Saturday night heading to the bar to grab a beer with a buddy and he doesn't feel like driving? Hell no.

Terminally ill friend, friend that is dying to know what being on a bike feels like and a ride with me might get them to buy their own, friend with a disability that may prevent them from riding on their own, etc? You better believe I will do it.

When I was a kid, much like cmashark, my brother used to ride me around on his bike. I was a bit younger since he gave up riding when I was around 5 so the rides stopped, but I truly believe that is what put the bug in my system. All down hill from there... mini bikes, mopeds, dirt bikes, and my first street bike as soon as I was legal.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm secure with my own nuts so I see nothing "gay" about it.

Old 12-02-2013 | 06:02 PM
Huskerjim
Advanced

Not gonna happen, I don't wear rainbow shirts. One year in Nevada a buddy and I were riding together his bike broke down about 70 miles outside Reno. I had my Fatboy he had a full dresser. We pulled over with his bike out of commission. We looked the bike over now I'm 47 and he is 61 as we are looking at the bike we knew we needed a tow. I looked at him he looked at me and we both looked at the Fatboy and at the same time said do you want to go back and get trailer. I went to get trailer hour half later we still respected each other.

Old 12-02-2013 | 06:03 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

My nephew is a little guy and when he came in town we rode all over the Bay Area with him on the back. He had a FF helmet, no one knew the difference. lol.

Quick Reply: You're a guy and a non riding friend(guy) asks for a ride