General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats wrong with Surdyke

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 04:07 PM
dkizerian
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bahama Yellow
Kutter also does not want to ship overseas or to a NY address I keep with a forwarding service. I'm starting to get the picture. HD must have instructed all its dealers only to serve domestically, so that they can set different price levels in each country. They get a lot more margin where I live, in Dubai, so they don't want that market spoiled by people importing directly from HD in the USA. So if you want to get HD parts out of another country, you can't get them from an official dealer.

I think you're probably wrong on this assumption... Dubai is a VERY high risk country in regards to fraud. One of the companies I work with completely blocks ALL IP addresses from outside the USA and Canada, and will not ship to anywhere outside those 2. which sounds like what you're running into. The internet has created so many channels for massive fraud to be committed, and unfortunately the methods used by stores to help protect themselves sometime do affect the valid transactions as well.

Try posting a car for sale in any local classified ad... for every local party interested, you'll probably get 5 fraud phone calls, and 10-30 fraud emails...

Old 11-27-2013, 05:14 PM
Ultra Mac
Advanced

Kutter gets my business for price and I could physically go to surdyke. Both have similar return policies though.
I saved about 75 bux on belt and stock pulley this week shipped free by Kutter and got it faster too.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:27 AM
Bahama Yellow
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dkizerian
I think you're probably wrong on this assumption... Dubai is a VERY high risk country in regards to fraud. One of the companies I work with completely blocks ALL IP addresses from outside the USA and Canada, and will not ship to anywhere outside those 2. which sounds like what you're running into. The internet has created so many channels for massive fraud to be committed, and unfortunately the methods used by stores to help protect themselves sometime do affect the valid transactions as well.

Try posting a car for sale in any local classified ad... for every local party interested, you'll probably get 5 fraud phone calls, and 10-30 fraud emails...
Not sure what the risk would be though. I have a forwarding address in NY so they'd only ship to there. The rest of the journey would be my risk. And I got good history with Masters and Visa which are are reputable US headquartered credit card companies though my cards are issued locally. Other companies like Danny Grey and Fuelmoto are quite ok with that. So to me its more like HD wants to protect the margins of their local franchise, where they list (for instance) US$ 685 for the latest SE Billet Ventilator...$450 list price in the US, if I'm not mistaken. Can't blame them for trying.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Papple
Advanced
Default The Motor Company..........

From what I've heard the MoCo is trying to curtail the selling of parts via someone other then your local dealer. They also don't approve of out of country sales as the local dealers were complaining to the MoCo about there customer's being able to buy it online.

From what I'm hearing there solution is to ban dealers from sales to anyone out of there respective Country. They also discourage internet discounting and sales so that's why we've seen a decline in online Genuine HD Dealer advertising.

The MoCo is pretty tight lipped about all of this and I'm sure there's more to it than most of us will ever know. I've also heard stories that they are planning on selling there entire product line or most of it online themselves. This would completely put an end to buying anything online from anyone else other then the your local dealer or the factory.

In theory this all sounds good but in the end a lot of dealer's have suffered and the only real winner is the MoCo.

I'm not trying to sound negative and I'm certainly not HD bashing. I've got plenty of Genuine HD bikes myself but I'd still like the freedom to purchase items from who ever and where ever I choose. We're all also looking for a better price and deal but this will certainly put an end to that.

Ride Safe,
P

Old 11-29-2013, 07:36 AM
Bahama Yellow
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, P, that's exactly what I think. They are protecting their high margin countries by banning cross-country sales. Milton Friedman "Free to Choose" would say its not good for long term competitiveness but hey, its their product and they can decide who to sell to.