General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When U trade Ur bike in, do U strip it or leave the Mod on.??

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013 | 11:08 PM
ALUCARD19
Road Master

Strip them off and put the stock parts back on then sell the mod parts on craigslist or ebay.

Old 11-19-2013 | 11:13 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

If I am going to reuse them on the next bike, they come off. Other than that, they stay on.

Old 11-20-2013 | 12:57 AM
One Vision
Cruiser

I may have a bit of a unique experience with my dealer. I traded in my 2009 Dyna with a good amount of mods that wouldnt come off easy peasy, but did cost me a lot of cash.

I was looking at a great deal on a 13 Slim and I simply told them that I wasnt ready to part with my Dyna for under KBB which was the initial offer since the Slim was priced so well.(This was also before they saw my Dyna)

They offered over KBB on the Dyna and I made the deal. I like to think it was because of the mods that I got a better price on my bike than I would have had if I brought in a stocker. Considering the offer I thought it would be bad form to roll in with anything other than the initial version of the bike they first saw. I could have switched out the seat and removed the highway pegs and the quick detach sissy bar, but it was worth more to me to establish myself as a valuable and trustworthy client than it was for a few hundred bucks. I will be using this dealership for a lot of my work moving forward.

Thats my take on the topic. Pic of the Dyna for referance.

Attached Thumbnails When U trade Ur bike in, do U strip it or leave the Mod on.??-dyna-2009.jpg  
Old 11-20-2013 | 07:50 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by oct1949
Looking hard at a SG, wishing they still had the RG.
Really Dont need or want a radio. Test Rode a King when the frames changed.
Just didn't ring my bell at the time. Liked our Heritage as much.

Only do 1 trip extended trip a YR and the ST G would be OK,

Wife and I still love our Heritage, and she running GREAT, so maybe just a fresh one may be in the works. Ours fits our needs in every way, and for me it does the trips fine..

Not really sure Yet,, just an Itch...

I hear ya. Every once in awhile I get the urge for a different bike. I can't afford 2 bikes so I'd have to sell the Fatboy. A Street Glide would be my next choice too. To be honest, I really enjoy the FB and I've got it set up so it's very comfy for me to ride.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 11-20-2013 | 09:11 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I've never traded a bike in. But I'd think they'd want it, just like it was when they appraised it. "Personal" stuff like my license plate frame, I'd take that.

Old 11-20-2013 | 11:34 AM
oct1949
|
Club Member

COC.. I think they'd like to have mine too. They know its history and a lot of guys wants good used bikes that has the cams and tuner already done.

Seems most Dealers wont give U much more if any on Ur trade in, but they want an extra $k or $2 when they sell them.

Old 11-20-2013 | 11:42 AM
Blackfly
Road Master

Took the only two things - engine guard and quick release windscreen. They didn't want them anyway - both had minor scratches. And they swapped the engine guard for me - and even the ride bell on my passenger peg. I paid a lot of $ for the windscreen and wasn't gonna pay again for a new one.

iglideUC
Road Captain

All my stock wheels headlights, saddlebag lids, AC, chrome rails, guards, standard bulb lighting, footboards, grips, etc... are in a corner of my attic for this specific reason. The gauges and radio can go with the bike if i trade. everything else can be repurposed or sold off!

uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Default my .02

My dealer was quite cool.. He took off stuff and installed it on the new bike free of charge..

Old 11-20-2013 | 11:46 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

I think it might be time to scratch that itch. The newly designed street glide is better than ever and looks cooler than ever too. If I didn't love softails so much I'd have one right now. Life is short and getting shorter everyday.

Quick Reply: When U trade Ur bike in, do U strip it or leave the Mod on.??