General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still looking for the perfect Spring seat set up, opinions welcome on new option

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 06:34 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Still looking for the perfect Spring seat set up, opinions welcome on new option

I prefer the bobber old school vibe, and spring seats are just more comfortable to me. Those springs really do work as little shock absorbers! So I like the HD spring solo seat I have on the bike now -- mostly.

The problem with the HD seat is it sets you just an inch or so too high, and an inch or so too far forward. That seating position is great for handling, and visibility, but it also takes away the sensation of sitting "in" the bike like you do with the very low profile stock seat.

For a happy medium, I tried lowering the HD spring seat through various methods, including shorter springs, or even rubber stoppers. But the problem is the seat is arched in a crescent shape. That means if you lower it from the back, your butt starts to slide off at speeds going uphill. I like the twisties here in SoCal, so that's no good for me.

This is my latest possible solution. The Danny Gray leather bobber seat. It has a nice arch in the back, to prevent sliding. And if I can find the right hardware for it, I may be to able to get it to sit back and low, just where I want it.

The questions I pose to yall, is it worth the hassle for me to hunt down a whole new hardware kit? Does it look better, or worse, than the HD spring solo I have on my Slim now?

Here's a few pics to help you decide. The rubber stoppers under the Danny Gray are just there to help me display how the seat could look on my bike. I would have to find a torsion spring set up, battery compartment cover, ECM cover, and brackets to get it on there in earnest. The HD hardware doesn't line up with the Danny Gray, of course.

Opinions welcome.

Danny Gray bobber:

My current seat:

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 11-19-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:01 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,016 Likes on 17,913 Posts

They make a few sweet mini airbag setups for seats , seen those done up a couple different ways and looked plus rode great .

Old 11-19-2013, 08:08 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

With so many choices it'd be hard to pick
think I do like the one with real springs better.
A good ride would also be at the top at the list.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:35 PM
acman308
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I understand what your trying to do.
I don't think it's possible without some custom fab work though.

The Danny Gray looks like it would help with or solve the sliding issue.

I looked at every spring seat i could find in sturgis on bikes and the only ones that seemed to put you in the bike any better were "custom" jobs.
They didn't have the ecm to deal with either seems like it would have to be relocated to really put you in the bike and leave some spring travel.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:07 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by acman308
I understand what your trying to do.
I don't think it's possible without some custom fab work though.

The Danny Gray looks like it would help with or solve the sliding issue.

I looked at every spring seat i could find in sturgis on bikes and the only ones that seemed to put you in the bike any better were "custom" jobs.
They didn't have the ecm to deal with either seems like it would have to be relocated to really put you in the bike and leave some spring travel.
Thanks aceman. It can be hard to grasp unless you've run a spring seat for a while, so I appreciate the input.

If I could lean back just like an inch and lower it about an inch, I'd still have enough travel for the HD ECM cover and I'd be exactly where I want to be in terms of the seating angle and height.

I'll mess with it a bit and see what I can do. I emailed Danny Gray to see if they had recommendations for aftermarket hardware for their seat for a new softail. They don't sell anything.

And if I really want to go for it, I do know a really good fab guy here in L.A. that could cook something up for me. Just not sure I want to go that far.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:35 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,235 Likes on 2,466 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Thanks aceman. It can be hard to grasp unless you've run a spring seat for a while, so I appreciate the input.

If I could lean back just like an inch and lower it about an inch, I'd still have enough travel for the HD ECM cover and I'd be exactly where I want to be in terms of the seating angle and height.

I'll mess with it a bit and see what I can do. I emailed Danny Gray to see if they had recommendations for aftermarket hardware for their seat for a new softail. They don't sell anything.

And if I really want to go for it, I do know a really good fab guy here in L.A. that could cook something up for me. Just not sure I want to go that far.
We are in the middle of revamping our solo seat line right now.

However, a bunch of the new components are up at http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Solo...ystems_c80.htm

Since you like the DG seat, seems you could use an adjustable seat hinge (to help in placement of the seat) and some 2" barrel springs to get it lower.

As far as getting the spring mount on the seat pan side further forward (so the seat is further back) that seems like it should be an easy mod.