General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you let others ride your bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013 | 10:20 AM
DRabbit
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm not comfortable with it. My brother is less experienced than I am (I got 40 years riding, he's about half that) and sometimes after he's done a mod, he'll get me to ride it just to hear it. I have done the same with him. There are a couple of friends I would trust, but for the most part -NO.

Old 12-16-2013 | 10:20 AM
Newfoundlandsoftail
Tourer

Me, my father and I would let the original owner ride it again because he is a friend with a whole lot more experience then me.

Old 12-16-2013 | 10:26 AM
lemonade_07flstc
Extreme HDF Member

I have let only one person ride mine, my brother, no one else has ever asked to ride it. If was a good friend that I knew had plenty riding experience I would let them ride it, thats what insurance is for. If you trust them to ride in the first place then more than likely they know what they are doing and they do not want to have any problems either. I have borrowed one bike myself and I treated it as if it was my own because if there were any issues I would be the one paying for them one way or another. I wouldnt let just any JoeSchmoe ride though, who in their right mind would.

Old 12-21-2013 | 09:28 AM
HarryJ
Cruiser

Can't remember if I posted here already and don't want to look at all 19 pages, so if this is a duplicate, sorry 'bout that!

And to the question "Do you let others ride your bike?"

Why? Because they want to? Too bad, we can't always get what we want. Is someone's life at stake? Then maybe, depends who it is.

Old 12-21-2013 | 09:31 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Back around 1970 or so, I borrowed a friends 1966 Honda Scrambler 250, 4 speed. I promptly blew up the transmission, so no I don't loan my bikes to others.

Old 12-21-2013 | 10:54 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

I let a couple people ride my bikes. Of course they all have bikes and ride as well. My son in law, and a couple of my really good friends. It's kinda why I kept two bikes.

My best friend lives in TX and when he comes to visit there is a bike here so we can ride together.

My son in law has an older Dyna and doesn't have a windshield for it so if we go on long highway rides I let him take my Dyna so it's a more enjoyable ride.

I'd rather ride with people I enjoy spending time with then worry about something happing to one of the bikes.

Old 12-21-2013 | 01:29 PM
Irish883
Road Captain

If I really, really, really trust you I might let you take it around a parking lot to see how it feels, but that's about it. You aren't going on the road with it, that's for damned sure.

Yes, I have plenty of insurance and yes, the bike can be replaced, but that is all irrelevant. I haven't read every post, so I don't know if this came up, but the ability to replace something doesn't lessen my love of it. I earned my bike and I put my own blood and sweat into making it MY bike. A check from the insurance company can't give that back to me if you wreck it.

Sure, I have modification coverage and gap insurance and I will likely get enough to buy the same bike and same mods and then do it all over again, but it just isn't the same. I dunno, but to me rebuilding a new bike to match the bike you had that was wrecked just loses something compared to the original build.

Old 12-21-2013 | 01:38 PM
budlite282
Advanced

No...........................!!!!

that is all!!!!

Old 12-21-2013 | 01:45 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Sure, why not ... and I leave the key to my wife's Chastity Belt on the kitchen counter, my garage is always open, all my money's sitting on the kitchen table, the pins numbers to all my credit cards are on the bulletin board in the kitchen and if you need a car they're all full of fuel and the keys in the ignition. Just in case you don't appreciate my sarcasm .... NO ... HELL NO ... NO FRIGGIN" WAY ... GET YOUR OWN SCOOTER!

Last edited by Uncle Larry; 01-01-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2013 | 06:26 AM
eleutheros
Road Master

Easiest question on the forum. Don't even think about it.

Quick Reply: Do you let others ride your bikes?