General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you let others ride your bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013 | 08:56 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member

I am not opposed to letting another person ride my bike. Back in the '80's, I let my roommate ride my bike for a couple of weeks while he was deciding whether or not to buy a bike. Then I had a friend going through the same process, so I let him borrow my bike while I drove his car.

When I sold bikes, I almost always let the buyer test ride the bike, assuming that I trusted that they had the ability to operate the bike without breaking it, i.e. they had real, provable riding experience. It stands to reason. I'm never going to buy a bike that I can't first test ride, unless I'm buying a fixer-upper.

Anyway, nobody has asked to ride my Sporty so I haven't had the opportunity to say "No". Still, assuming that I trusted the person enough, I wouldn't have strong reservations against it.

Old 11-25-2013 | 12:11 AM
Bilco60
Tourer

Have never let anyone ride my Dyna, but i have my DRZ400s, But they have to be tall to ride either one. I'm 6'4" and the bikes have been setup to fit me. Anyone much shorter is going to have trouble riding them safely.

Old 11-25-2013 | 04:59 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Depends who it is an what bike it is. I rarely ever let anyone ride my sportbikes unless I knew them and their riding style. They're dangerous enough as is without letting someone unexperienced on one. I've only ever let my dad ride my HD, but I think I'd be equally as picky. Of course, everyone want to take my sport bikes for a spin. The same can't be said about the Harley.

Old 11-25-2013 | 09:22 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member

I don't want anyone riding my bike.

The few guys who I trust with my life (and would trust w/ my bike), they don't ride. And the guys who I know that ride, I don't trust enough to ride my bike.

I've just heard too many stories of the "friend" who totals a bike, then walks away leaving the owner holding the bag of ****.

You want to ride a motorcycle? Then go BUY a motorcycle.

Old 11-25-2013 | 11:36 AM
factorybuilt
Road Captain

The only two people I would even consider is my brother and my life long best friend. And of course my Indy mechanic. They have the experience and the
respect required. I don't ever remember anyone else ever asking!

Old 11-25-2013 | 01:49 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member

It's not that big of deal for me, it's just a motorcycle. I don't let just anybody ride my Harleys, but if I know them well enough to trust them to ride, I don't have a problem.

My problem is I have friends who want to trade bikes for an hour during a ride. It's not that I don't want them to ride my SG, I just don't really care to ride their Honda or BMW or Kawasaki for Pete sake. My SG is a lot more fun.

Beary

Old 11-25-2013 | 04:47 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dribble
Yes I do. It's just a hunk of iron.

Old 11-29-2013 | 08:15 AM
Nix
Advanced

No! Don't give a **** who you are you ain't riding my bike..... If someone else is riding my bike I'm likely dead in a gutter somewhere

Old 12-14-2013 | 12:21 PM
Lantern
Cruiser

No! ....

Old 12-14-2013 | 12:47 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior

No, not any more because I don't want to loose everything I own if they have a accident. Insurance companies don't cover other drivers of your vehicle and their insurance might not cover the full cost of an accident, such as bodily injury, hospitalization, etc. Since it's your vehicle your still liable and they go after anyone with money/assets. A minor, single vehicle accident not a big problem, but if they kill or injure other people get ready to be sued.

Quick Reply: Do you let others ride your bikes?